Exporting car from australia

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows the process of exporting cars? Not so much the paperwork, but more so on the car itself. What i've heard is that the law in australia states that the car has to be stock standard in order to export. can anyone confirm this?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

Exporting

Quote Originally Posted by akajonz View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows the process of exporting cars? Not so much the paperwork, but more so on the car itself. What i've heard is that the law in australia states that the car has to be stock standard in order to export. can anyone confirm this?
    You mean, sending a car out of Australia? Is it your car? Where are you sending it? Permanently or temporarily? To sell or for you to drive at the destination?

When you've answered these questions we'll have a better idea of what it is you're trying to achieve.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

i've owned the car for 4 years, bought it new. Sending it from australia to malaysia for personal use permanently. The car also has been modified.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

Exporting a car

Quote Originally Posted by akajonz View Post
    i've owned the car for 4 years, bought it new. Sending it from australia to malaysia for personal use permanently. The car also has been modified.
    Check with the Malaysian authorities and ask them what your obligations are.

Tips for car Exports/Import from Australia

* Cars here are right hand drive.
    * Make sure authorities will accept vehicles that comply to Australian Design Rules. (Check with a customs agent).
    * Be aware that there will be no factory warranty - unless you are prepared to bring the vehicle back to Australia.
    * If you are a diplomat, you can generally avoid import duties in the country to which the car is exported, but GST applies just as it would in Australia. Also note that there may be regulations concerning the eventual sale of your vehicle.
    * Import duty into Malaysia is generally around 200% of car value for private individuals.
    * Import permit must be presented to shipper before car is loaded onto vessel if it is going to India.
    * If you want to export a car from Australia, you need to have it cleared by customs at the other end. This can only be done by contacting a customs clearance agent over there. Rules and regulations change from time to time and it is not possible for us to keep up with exact requirements for each country on an ongoing basis.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

ah thanks for the help!

i have no problems with the malaysian side of things, and don't have to worry about the tax as i'm going to use my student ap to bring it over. My main concern was if i had to take the mods off my car before shipping, but don't think i have to

thanks again