Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    00 S2000 09 Audi S3

S2000 Roof Conversions FAQs

Hi everyone, thought Id start a thread regarding S2000 glass roof conversions due to the amount of questions I get PM'ed, and general lack of info about this awesome mod.

I have completed 10 conversions now myself, and have changed my roof twice - more on that later.

The two roof brands I have worked with are Robbins and EZ On Topps.

Heres my rating of the two: (1 being terrible - 5 being equal to OEM Quality)

-Robbins-
    Quality 5
    Fitment 5
    Ease of Install 3
    Cost 4
    Instructions 1
    Supplied Parts 4

-Ez On Topps-
    Quality 5
    Fitment 4.5
    Ease of Install 4.5
    Cost 5
    Instructions 2
    Supplied Parts 3

The main differences are that Robbins requires 2 new straps to be mounted to the convertible frame, and Ez only requires one, which reduces install time by about an hour. The Robbins though included new elastics to replace your old worn items, the Ez does not, and this can affect the roof ability to retract properly, when folding into rear parcel tray. This can be remedied with the purchase of elastics from a fabric supplier, if your items are significantly worn.

Here is a picture of the elastic fitted that comes supplied with the Robbins top.

You have two options when selecting fabric HV denim or Stayfast Cloth, the Stayfast Cloth or Canvas is significantly better looking, its darker and looks more classy. Its the same material used on Porsche and Ferrari convertible tops. The Denim is OEM like and duller, and has a plastic feel. Water beads off the canvas, whereas it tends to sit on the Denim. The Denim would be a better option if your car sees alot of sun, and its not garaged as the Canvas is harder to maintain, and will fade easier than the Denim option.

Comparision Pics:

Denim

Stayfast Canvas

Both brands of roof require spare rivets as they do not come with enough to complete the install strangely. Ez on tops also have a much better way to secure the top to the rain gutter.

There are two ways to fit the roof I have found, one is to fit the roof whilst the frame is still bolted in the car, the other is to remove the softtop and its frame/motors altogether. It takes about an hour or two longer when removing the frame but it means less fussing around with the corners near the side windows which are an absolute PITA. The only downside of removing the roof frame is you need two people to complete the install, and removing it is not at all necessary if you have the right tools to get to the corners.

either way involves stripping the whole car.....

Hope that sheds some insight into roof selection, the first one I did was a PITA and they get easier as you learn what goes where, and have the patience to see it through. If you are mechanically minded and like to get your hands dirty I suggest giving it a go.

With the current exchange rate you can get a roof from ebay ( I reccomend topsonline) shipped to your door from $650-750 depending on the spec i.e demister, canvas or denim.

Its an awesome mod, adds to the aesthetic of the car, and increases visibility. I changed my roof twice after installing a canvas roof on a forum members car, it is heaps better so that would be my advice shell out for the canvas.

No one likes a plastic window!

S2Krazy Array
    Pinned for now until I get around to creating the all in one super duper thread.
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

Member Array
    Car:
    honda s2000
    ahhhh stripping whole car ;( how annoying lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 S2000 and 94 prelude
    awsome thread mate! Ive got an EZ ON top that Im looking for somebody to install at the moment. Ive called about 20 trimmers in melbourne and so far the cheapest quote I could get was $700 which I thought was really steep but now I see all that goes into it i.e stripping the entire car I can now see why it costs so much. My elastic strips are incredibly worn. You just touch them and they begin to strip to pieces. Is their a spesific kind of elastic strip that I should ask for when I go to the fabric store (spotlight or somwhere like that im guessing?) or should I just assume that the auto trimmer who installs it will have his own?

Member Array
    Car:
    00 S2000 09 Audi S3
    $700 is cheap as it takes approx 8-10 hours so thats a decent hourly rate. Most places I have seen are in the $1000 range. As for the elastic the fitter should have the appropriatte material, if not go to spotlight and buy a heavy guage elastic the stronger the better as the roof will fold better.

If anyone in Sydney wants a roof installed PM me for a price.

Member Array
    Car:
    yeh I rang around alot of people to get that price and had to barter a bit. in the end I this dude in coburg agreed to do it for $700 for cash. theirs also a dude in beronia who quoted $650 so if anybody is from down that end of melbourne thats the absalute cheapest price going. but I got quoted as high as $1200. It seems the best prices come from the places that have done a few of them already and know exactly whats involved. I cant wait to get my new stay fast top on

I'm looking at changing my roof fairly soon, I live near Boronia... Do you have a contact or name of the place?

Thanks in advance.
    EMpire.ONE

c i v i c - l i z a t i o n

Member Array
    Car:
    I got my car back from the auto trimmers today and it looks great!!! It was such a weird feeling looking back and actually being able to see out my back window. Also i noticed the roof is reinforced with thick strips on both the common tear points on either side to stop wear and tear and thr best thing is the guy did somthing to my striker plates to make them freakishly tight...its almost an effort to unlatch them but it made a huge difference, now i have basicly no wind noise from my roof, sound wise when im on a highway you could swear i was in a car with a hard top. Im very impressed with this mod, it makes my car look brand new as well.

Dohctr : sorry mate, i didnt keep the name of that trimmer in boronia. It was actually the very first place i called for a quote so at the time i didnt relise how good a deal it was so i didnt take any note of it. Their cant be many trimmers in boronia so if u call them all im sure youll find it pretty easy. Good luck with it all

Member Array
    Car:
    00 S2000 09 Audi S3
    The trimmer did nothing to your striker plates, the new top takes a month or so to bed in and stretch, that tightness makes it hard to unlatch the top. Glad you like the mod, it is the first mod you should do to a pre 02 car.

Member Array
    Car:
    I thought that might have been the case with the top still having room to stretch but I was really hoping I wasnt right because its so good not having to deal with all that wind noise. all of a sudden my stereo sounds 500 times better. I installed dynamat just last weekend and that did nothing in comparison to the difference having this tight top has done to sound deadening

Member Array
    Car:
    Ive had a problem with my new top already =/ it was pouring rain in melbourne today and a little bit of water managed to make it through the rubber seals on the passanger side. Im not sure if I just need to get new rubber seals or if they just need to be readjusted? has anybody else had this problem?

Member Array
    Car:
    00 S2000 09 Audi S3
    That is normal, you need to readjust the rubbers so they seat properly against the window.