S2Krazy Array

*******The S2000 Super Duper Everything You Need To Know About Anything Thread*******

The S2000/ NSX forum is ever growing with new members coming in and asking questions which have been covered so many times in the past my hair has begun to turn grey....... so this thread will act as a guide to commonly asked questions and what not.

This threads intention is to provide a 1 space reply to everything commonly asked, making it something of a "Super Duper Be All End All" thread with everything in one location. If you will, think of this thread as the Bunnings Warehouse of the OzHonda S2000 Community.

Due to the complex and enormous effort required for this very thread, it is a work in progress (and will take some time on my behalf to write / copy & paste info out) so if you can think of any topics that need adding, feel free to add to this by sending a PM to myself or another Mod and I'll see what I can dig up.

For the time being, the S2000 Frequently Asked Questions. *******Look here before posting ANY questions****** thread shall remain online until this thread is completed.

Remember, accurately Searching for what you are looking for will bring the best results.

Feel free to bump a thread from the past if you're unsure of anything, rather than posting a new thread.

Guys who have been here a while (you know who you are), if you wanted to help balance out the topics by creating a thread about a topic you know well of, I can merge your thread into this one and provide Rep Point rewards for well written articles / comments / posts etc.

I'll this thread as to not create spam.
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

S2Krazy Array
    Last edited by ludecrs; 17-04-2010 at 12:23 AM.
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

S2Krazy Array
    Title:
    S2000 Clutch Buzz

Author:
    ludecrs ; Toda AU

Description:
    The buzzing sound which occurs mainly on deceleration coming from the gearbox

Further Reading:
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

What is it?
    That rattling sound, is the gearbox / clutch, commonly referred to as 'clutch buzz'. Its created when (I think from memory someone correct me if I'm wrong) the spigot wears and creates vibration through the box. Its only noticeable on deceleration, and poses no threat to you or your car, however over time it gets worse. I have 125,000KM on my car, I'm boosted, and still run the OEM clutch with 'clutch buzz'. You get used to it, some say it even adds character.

How to fix it?:
    The fix? Pull the OEM clutch and replace with something non-Exedy (unless you step up into something major ; see expensive - like the Hyper single which RRP is about $1500-$2000) as the OEM clutch is just an Exedy HD clutch from factory.

Extra Information:
    Quote Originally Posted by TODA AU View Post
    FWIW, all aftermarket clutches that use the std style of cover use the OEM clutch cover & release bearing on the S2000 as HONDA has a patent on it.
    Exedy do not manufacture a std repalcement clutch for the S2000 for use with the std flywheel or replacement aftermarket flywheel such as TODA.

Both TODA & Exedy have sports organic type clutch discs available for use with the std cover & or TODA lightweight flywheel.
    The OEM cover must still be used along with OEM release bearing.

Other companies such as Extreem Clutch claim to modify the OEM cover with their clutch kits.
    Though they are delivered in an unopened OEM bag.

The only true aftermarket clutched available are Hi Power single types & twin plates etc that come with an alternative flywheel & clutch cover design.
    Some still use the OEM release bearing.
    Others such as OS Giken, use an intricate change mechanism to convert the clutch type from pull to push.
    Related Information:
    How To DIY Change Your Clutch
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

S2Krazy Array

Swapping Plastic Window To Glass Window.

Title:
    S2000 Roof Conversion

Author:
    Ferrari

Description:
    Detailed analysis and in depth information regarding the swap from a plastic rear window to a glass rear window.

Further Reading:
    Link 1
    Link 2

What is it?
    From 1999 to 2001 the S2000 came with a plastic rear window. Over time the plastic deteriorates from the elements and become almost impossible to see out of. In some cases its been known the plastic has cracked under extreme weather conditions.

How to fix it?:
    Upgrade to a new roof!

Extra Information:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari View Post
    I have completed 10 conversions now myself, and have changed my roof twice - more on that later.

The two roof brands I have worked with are Robbins and EZ On Topps.

Heres my rating of the two: (1 being terrible - 5 being equal to OEM Quality)

-Robbins-
    Quality 5
    Fitment 5
    Ease of Install 3
    Cost 4
    Instructions 1
    Supplied Parts 4

-Ez On Topps-
    Quality 5
    Fitment 4.5
    Ease of Install 4.5
    Cost 5
    Instructions 2
    Supplied Parts 3

The main differences are that Robbins requires 2 new straps to be mounted to the convertible frame, and Ez only requires one, which reduces install time by about an hour. The Robbins though included new elastics to replace your old worn items, the Ez does not, and this can affect the roof ability to retract properly, when folding into rear parcel tray. This can be remedied with the purchase of elastics from a fabric supplier, if your items are significantly worn.

Here is a picture of the elastic fitted that comes supplied with the Robbins top.

You have two options when selecting fabric HV denim or Stayfast Cloth, the Stayfast Cloth or Canvas is significantly better looking, its darker and looks more classy. Its the same material used on Porsche and Ferrari convertible tops. The Denim is OEM like and duller, and has a plastic feel. Water beads off the canvas, whereas it tends to sit on the Denim. The Denim would be a better option if your car sees alot of sun, and its not garaged as the Canvas is harder to maintain, and will fade easier than the Denim option.

Comparision Pics:

Denim

Stayfast Canvas

Both brands of roof require spare rivets as they do not come with enough to complete the install strangely. Ez on tops also have a much better way to secure the top to the rain gutter.

There are two ways to fit the roof I have found, one is to fit the roof whilst the frame is still bolted in the car, the other is to remove the softtop and its frame/motors altogether. It takes about an hour or two longer when removing the frame but it means less fussing around with the corners near the side windows which are an absolute PITA. The only downside of removing the roof frame is you need two people to complete the install, and removing it is not at all necessary if you have the right tools to get to the corners.

either way involves stripping the whole car.....

Hope that sheds some insight into roof selection, the first one I did was a PITA and they get easier as you learn what goes where, and have the patience to see it through. If you are mechanically minded and like to get your hands dirty I suggest giving it a go.

With the current exchange rate you can get a roof from ebay ( I reccomend topsonline) shipped to your door from $650-750 depending on the spec i.e demister, canvas or denim.

Its an awesome mod, adds to the aesthetic of the car, and increases visibility. I changed my roof twice after installing a canvas roof on a forum members car, it is heaps better so that would be my advice shell out for the canvas.
    Related Information:
    Ebay USA
    Last edited by ludecrs; 17-04-2010 at 12:24 AM.
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...