Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8

Clutch Break in period?

Hey i just got a new Exedy heavy duty clutch and it feels softer than my OEM clutch, just wanted to know will it feel different after breaking it in?

(ps im asking on behalf of a friend who has a eg civic)

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic hatch
    shouldn't really, old one might have felt bit stiffer due to old, unlubricated and worn components or design. Clutch slippage avoidance is critical within the first 5000km or so for proper bedding in.

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8, DC2R
    i used a exedy heavy duty before and it had a reasonably hard pedal feel, now im running a exedy Sports organic and it feels the same...it shouldnt feel that soft, was it a brand new kit installed? clutch bearing changed? clutch pedal adjusted???

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The old clutch could have a worn out pressure plate, which does engage/disengage that smoothly, leading to a heavier pedal feel. The Exedy HD clutch pressure plate is not that heavy anyway. It feels softer than a stock S2000 clutch.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Run in for at least 500 kms. Slippage IS needed to run it in. Avoid EXCESSIVE slippage. That means just drive it normally. Do not ride the clutch.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8, DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    The old clutch could have a worn out pressure plate, which does engage/disengage that smoothly, leading to a heavier pedal feel. The Exedy HD clutch pressure plate is not that heavy anyway. It feels softer than a stock S2000 clutch.
    heavy duty and sports organic clutch kits have the same pressure plate...iv used both and both felt the same!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG/S2K
    thats true both have same pressure plate so they will both feel the same!
    "SEX" Should Be Like V-TEC, The Whole Street Should Hear You Coming!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydin View Post
    heavy duty and sports organic clutch kits have the same pressure plate...iv used both and both felt the same!
    Sorry, I was replying to the original post from mugen_ctr.

But to answer your question, the Exedy HD that you drove before with that heavy pedal might have been worn out or there was a problem with the clutch master/slave cylinder, hence the hard pedal feel. Exedy HD's pedal feel should not be heavy. It should feel almost the same as stock in a a current Honda, say a DC5R/DC5S.
    Last edited by aaronng; 30-04-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdaa View Post
    shouldn't really, old one might have felt bit stiffer due to old, unlubricated and worn components or design. Clutch slippage avoidance is critical within the first 5000km or so for proper bedding in.
    From the exedy website:

Do EXEDY clutches require a break in period?
    We recommend breaking in the clutch for 1,000 km with mild engagement such as stop and go city driving prior to racing or spirited driving. EXEDY race discs usually only require a few hard slips to lap in the surfaces prior to normal driving or racing. Do not overheat the clutch during the break in period.

I dont even drive 5000km a year so my clutch would take over a year to be broken in if that was the case
    Last edited by markismaximus; 30-04-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    90 EF8 siR
    first 100kms drive like a grandma, then the next 900kms should just be normal driving, just dont redline it the first 100kms otherwise the clutch with spin freely and create curns on your flywheel capisce?

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    Run in for at least 500 kms. Slippage IS needed to run it in. Avoid EXCESSIVE slippage. That means just drive it normally. Do not ride the clutch.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    cheers guys, ill let him know about it, an pretty soon ill be getting mine changed to, so its all useful info, thx