Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury Auto

[CL9] Drive Belt Automatic Tensioner Failure

Few days ago, my CL9 developed a faint knocking sound from the engine bay whenever I select a gear, reverse or drive. Bitter memory of blown gearbox from the past (my poor old DC2), I chickened out and checked it.

Oddly, it had nothing to do with the gearbox. The cause was rattling Drive Belt Automatic Tensioner. Might drop into the dealer tomorrow but I wonder what the damage would be like, considering Honda's super high parts' cost. Hope they can tighten it or bolt it back on somehow...
    Last edited by sk3103; 02-05-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 WRX WRP10
    had this problem about 3 months ago , the tensioner developed a knocking/rattling noise when it was in gear stationary. honda wanted 300+ for a new tensioner (they use Bando brand tensioners) :S so i went to Repco and got a GATES tensioner for $150 got my local mechanic to install it and all was good

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by sodhi90 View Post
    had this problem about 3 months ago , the tensioner developed a knocking/rattling noise when it was in gear stationary. honda wanted 300+ for a new tensioner (they use Bando brand tensioners) :S so i went to Repco and got a GATES tensioner for $150 got my local mechanic to install it and all was good
    Thanks mate. I am waiting for a quote from Honda now. Let's see how much they will charge me...
    For your Gates part, did you have to order it in?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Could you provide the part number for the Gates tensioner? It is one of those wear and tear parts that will wear out eventually. I have replaced my belt and tensioner pulley but not the tensioner assembly itself.

When you look down at the auto tensioner belt stretch indicator (the triangle and two rectangles), the triangle should not fluctuate between the two rectangles. If it does keep moving, then it is time to replace the tensioner as the spring is probably worn.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 WRX WRP10
    Thats the only numbers on the box. yeah i noticed mine was chattering and moving quiet a bit.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Thanks. That will be enough if we had to order one as well.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury Auto
    My local Honda dealer quoted me $448.50 including labour. Had a good laugh and headed straight to Repco.

Got the Gates tensioner for $178.00 and installed by local mechanic for $50. Job done. Thanks sodhi90 for the advice!

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 WRX WRP10
    Quote Originally Posted by sk3103 View Post
    My local Honda dealer quoted me $448.50 including labour. Had a good laugh and headed straight to Repco.

Got the Gates tensioner for $178.00 and installed by local mechanic for $50. Job done. Thanks sodhi90 for the advice!
    No problems mate. definitely some money saved lol

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Looks like my belt tensioner is gone too. Started the car and heard a nice rattling sound. Looked at the belt tentioner and it was past the minimum mark. Belt is a new gates belt, so I guess my 6 year old tensioner spring has worn out.

Edit: Inspected my drive belt closer, and it seems my Gates MicroV belt has somehow stretched. So it looks like I'm going to go back to a Honda belt. Eventhough I know the Gates belt is good, if it stretches like this in just 1 year, it is not suitable for the usage pattern of my car.
    Last edited by aaronng; 10-05-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06' Accord Euro
    OMG!
    Please tell me if i am experiencing the same issue here.

When sitting at the lights on drive. i hear a helicopter flying above me. I can also kind of feel the knocking feeling on the gear stick.

When i shift from R to D there is a tuck sound.
    Last edited by huhjared; 26-05-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by huhjared View Post
    OMG!

When sitting at the lights on drive. i hear a helicopter flying above me. I can also kind of feel the knocking feeling on the gear stick.

It is quite difficult for me to say if you are experiencing the same problem I had without listening to the actual noise.

Mine was more like metalic clapping sound, if you know what I mean.

The best way is to ask one of your mate to jump in your car and shift the gear leaver from P to R then D (while pressing brake pedal!). If you look at your engine bay, you will see the tensioner vibrate and hear the noise whenever it is in R or D. In my case, I could not hear any noise or see vibration when it is in P.

Hope this helps. Oh, if it is the same problem, forget about Honda Dealers!

Edit: If it is not the tensioner, it could be a warn out water pump. My old DC2 had a shot pump and it was quite loud. If you can feel high level of vibration through your gear lever, it could be a stuffed synchromesh gears. I had this problem with DC2.
    Last edited by sk3103; 29-05-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by huhjared View Post
    OMG!

I think you need an ATF change....