Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi

1997 EK CXi Mini Me conversion and general knowledge.

Sup fella's,

I'm new to honda's, coming from a 4AGE powered AE82 corolla so was wondering if some of the more experienced members could help me out with a few questions.

I'm picking up 1 97' EK 3 door hatch on friday, with the stock D16Y4 engine. Test drove the car, goes pretty well even with the stock engine, but i'm after a bit more grunt. In saying this, the D16 goes harder than the 4AGE i had in my rolla, and the EK chassis feels much more precise and focused.

Basically, i've been seeing alot of these "mini me" conversion talks all over the place, and from what i gather, it's basically bolting on a Y1 or Y8 head onto the bog standard Y4 block? Is this all that needs to be done? Or is there other things? Most of these write ups are for the already moderately handy mechanics, but none for those with experience, but with none prior to Honda engines.

So what's the go? If i were to do this conversion, do i just need a VTEC head? Do i need to change the 'box, ECU etc?

Also what are some decent road legal mods that will give the car some more pick up and go? And where abouts is the best place to get a GLi dash cluster?

NSW P Plater aswell, thinking of modding the airbox and fitting a CAI or a Pod but only if it's worth it, defo not worth getting defected just for a pod haha.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers,
    Lachlan.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    Hey Mate,

Have a look at this, link
    I have a 97 EK Hatch, I haven't really done much research on it, but I think the general consensus with the Mini-Me conversions is that it there is not that significant of a performance gain for the costs.

I have put a GLi cluster into my CXI, the best place to have a look is the marketplace section of this forum, there are normally a few floating around (people doing EK9 conversions and such)
    I think the general rule with being a NSW P Plater is that any engine mod is frowned upon by the Police, I have friends who have installed pod filters, and claim to have gained better throttle response, and better induction noise. If you wanted a legal solution, you could always just go for a K&N panel filter. This would increase airflow, and would also be pretty legal.

Hope this helps a bit!

Cheers,
    Mark.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    here is a comprehensive mini me DIY, they are quite popular in the 'states. It has it all, including pics. Good luck with getting the crankshaft pully off though.

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/view_minime.html

You can change the 'box at a later date, like Lillow did.
    Last edited by Mikecivic78; 09-05-2010 at 01:27 AM.
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi
    Cheers for the replies guys.

@UkuleleGod
    Not a great deal concerned with cost at this stage, just want something basic so i can get that VTEC kick haha. That, and just looking at get some moar performance out of the D16 without doing a complete swap, as i don't have the time or the patients at this point in time to source the parts and find a mechanic to help me drop in something else. Thanks for the link aswell, i'm assuming all i need is a new headgasket, VTEC head and essentially doing a service at the same time while replacing the head.

@Mikecivic78
    Thanks for the link bro, will defo help if i decided to go through with anything. Looks like i would only have to do half the work as i wouldn't have to change the throttle body and timing belts etc.