Thread: CV Boots

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Integra LS

CV Boots

Hey guys,

I've noticed that since getting my suspension changed I seem to be going through cv boots like all the time..

I'm not sure if it is to do with them sitting at a different angle or what but it's become a real issue.

And just to clarify the boots are being installed correctly so that is not an issue and the cv's are tight yo! I don't drive in a typical boot tearing manner either

Tore the passenger side last night while turning right through an intersection doing say 30 kmph (not heaps fast for the intersection but faster than your every day driver would go around it). The problem here is that this specific boot was only just replaced maybe 2 months ago at best..

So now I'm trying to work out what options I have, I'm not interested in meh just replacing them, it's too costly. Are there larger after-market boots I should be looking into? Maybe some kind of super boot which is reinforced I should look into?

Thanks in advanced guys all your help here is much appreciated

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Integra LS
    Oh and if it helps:

1990 Integra LS, lowered by 1.5" from standard (standard being where my car was sitting before the old stock suspension was changed out) it was done about 9 months ago.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    who is installing the boots?

is the pressure in the boot being equalised to the atmosphere?

are there any sharp bits on the cv where the boot attaches?

is the boot in the correct position on the driveshaft? ei not overly stretched so that as soon as you turn the boot is being pulled more than it should be?
    how tight are the bands being done up?

I find it highly unlikely lowering your car 1.5" will cause the angle on the CVs to change that much to cause boots to tear in 2 months. And you say your CVs are tight, so not sure if they're actually tight and maybe getting hot during driving and causing the boot to rupture or "tight yo" as in perfect working order?

look under your car when its on the ground and check the angle of the CVs.

not sure what boots you are using but most universal boots can be had for about $20. that seems pretty cheap to me although no-one would want to be replacing boots regularly
    Last edited by markismaximus; 12-05-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Integra LS
    haha cheers for the quick reply maximus..

I meant tight yo as in they're in perfect working order, there's nothing near the boots that would be cutting them up..

I wasn't sure how touchy they'd be with a change in angle etc.. It could just be me being unlucky i suppose.

The cost of the boot is cheap it's just installation because I don't have the equipment to do it myself, but I have a mechanic friend who can do it all at work for a case of beers and the cost of the part which is next to nothing.. but his workshop is a half tank of fuel to get there and back, plus the lost time and the inconvenience of organizing a day to get out there etc etc it all adds up

i'd be checking your bendix drive

You're not using Honda parts are you..? Replace them with OEM boots and lube up the outsides.
    I have signatures turned off