Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EP3R

d16y8 Air flow Map sensor help????

hey guys just interested to see if anyone else has the same problem?

i have a d16y8 motor in a ek civic coupe and i'm trying to install a cai system into it but i have a slight problem.

I have a secondary airflow sensor on the intake piping??

if i were to take off the secondary sensor, the engine light appears on the dash and i need to either reset the ecu or wait a while for the error to clear itself out.

is it possible to bypass this sensor or is there an alternative to this or does anyone have the same issue?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Sounds like the IAT (Intake Air Tempreture Sensor),thre should be a hole on the CAI for that to slot into.The MAP sensor is on the top of tne Throttle body.

U can clear the cel by resetting the ECU but U want to run that sensor,it tells the ECU the tempreture of the air coming in so it can work out how much fuel to give,since air compresses in the cylinders and cold air compresses more than hot,it will always vary.

If no sensor it wont run as good,and will probably run rich to compensate.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EP3R
    oh rite, so its the intake air temperature sensor. hmm yeh that makes sense but the CAI don't usually have that slot where u can clip it into? hmm i'l give it a go see what happens thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo 85 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Sounds like the IAT (Intake Air Tempreture Sensor),thre should be a hole on the CAI for that to slot into.The MAP sensor is on the top of tne Throttle body.

U can clear the cel by resetting the ECU but U want to run that sensor,it tells the ECU the tempreture of the air coming in so it can work out how much fuel to give,since air compresses in the cylinders and cold air compresses more than hot,it will always vary.

If no sensor it wont run as good,and will probably run rich to compensate.
    Cold air doesn't compress more than hot. Cold air is more dense than hot air, so their is more air for a given volume in the cylinder. So cooler air means more air, therefore more fuel.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    ^^ That's the one,cheers mate!

If there isnt a hole on the CAI,U will need to make one for the IAT sensor.

I put mine on the plastic joiner that joins the throttle body to the intake pipe,cause it was easy to make a hole in it.

Ya dont want to lengthen the IAT sensor wire becuase it's only a 1V wire and U lose .1 of a volt for every bit of wire added.So ya really want the whole 1 Volts.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EP3R
    oh kk awesome i'l try work something out, see how i go thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Welcome!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EP3R
    hey guys i know this is a very late reply but the answer to ma question has not been found. ive attached some pictures: I know the Map Sensor, but im confused about the other 2. have a look and u'l understand where im coming from, and hows it work with the CAI

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    you need better pictures, but from what I can see in those pics the third thing you've highlighted is part of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. so that's not a sensor. But you still need it connected to the inlet

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EP3R
    kk i'l get better pictures 2moro arvo, but do u know a way around it? and how come not all civics have the two?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    yes I know how to fix this problem, will get some pics posted of my setup lol
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Quote Originally Posted by hondata101 View Post
    kk i'l get better pictures 2moro arvo, but do u know a way around it? and how come not all civics have the two?

OP , you have a obd2b engine which has the IAT on the intake arm.
    Pre-obd2b engines have the IAT on the inlet manifold itslef.
    You need this sensor regardless. So drill a hole and fit it into the intake arm with a grommet