Cluster Swapping

Hey guys,
    It seems pretty easy to swap an ek cluster with a tacho into the ek cxi. But what prevents people from swapping in a cluster with less km's on it than the original?

I'm just looking into buying an ek1 soon, and came across one where the owner states that the cluster reads less than the actual km's because he swapped out the old faulty one.

Thanks

i think it's illegal mate. i don't know how he would have made it legit to change his.
    d e e p S i x [d6]™

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    nothing prevents people from swapping clusters in any Honda of that generation, which is one reason I only buy ones with excellent records to state k's travelled and I do check up on mechanics if they're lower that the norm by a long shot as it's fraud and has heavy penalties in place

it's illegal, he should have moved the k's off the old one to the new one properly (there's a thread on here in diy)

because the second you start punching in numbers on databases and if that car has been said to have had higher k's at one point and you come along and say it has far lower k's, govt depts won't be impressed
    Last edited by EK1.6LCIV; 21-05-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    actually government ogranisations dont track it, and at the moment, do nothing with it. If they did, could you imagine how many people would be copping the shaft?

I dont know the legalities of swapping a cluster out,and haveing to switch the odometer, but there are legitimate reasons for people swapping cluster, say for example if the original one is broken

EK16LCIV, do you happen to have a link to the legalities at all? it would be interested to read
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    lol, in QLD they sure as heck do

legalities from the knowledge passed onto me by the QPS is has to meet oem k's

they do break all the time, such as the s13 and a few other nissans, so you might need to swap a few, matching legal k's isn't hard or takes a long time.

On another note: Seriously you can get found out as easy as having an accident the insurer checks your ks and since when you get your policy you do state the ks on the car or when you rego the car orginally, bang found out, no pay out, simple, be honest

and for documentation you can obtain it by asking for freedom of information on the topic and paying a small fee, think its 20-30bux through a member of govt in your area
    had to do it a few times to see if police in certain areas taking speed did so in a legal fashion, ie. were inducted to the worksite they were in, had hard hats and correct ppe. They were taking speed where a large pile driver was working at full tilt, riding motorbikes in a site which put them in jeoporady of harms way, etc lol. Seems they didn't and someone didn't get a fne that day lol
    Last edited by EK1.6LCIV; 21-05-2010 at 07:55 AM.
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Yeah,U can just move the numbers to what U want easily.

I did it when I swapped in the JDM cluster so it would read true to my engine.