Member Array
    Car:
    1994 EG4

Post Prosport Gauges oil pressure and temperature gauge install

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

AIMS:
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to contribute a hopefully useful DIY on Ozhonda. This DIY will be on how to install a set of Prosport Gauges for oil temperature and oil pressure. These are the basic 52mm amber/white series found at: http://prosportgauges.com/amber_whit...ce_gauges.aspx. I know there's an EGT gauge but I need to wait until I can get my exhaust header drilled before I can use the sensor. I just prepared the wiring so all I need to do is connect the wiring from the EGT sensor after it's installed. Just like cooking chinese food (or asian food), most of the work is in the preparation and not the actual installation. If you prepare your materials beforehand, you can finish in a few hours.

Materials:
    Prosport gauge set
    1m of red, white, orange, black, and green wires
    Soldering iron
    Heatshrink
    Zip ties
    Pack of electrical terminals, blade female
    26mm socket

Sorry for the watermark. I used the photo uploader I use for putting pics on ebay.

Steps:
    The first step is to organize each harness and label them accordingly.

The next step is to tie together the following wires on each harness: red (12v acc), white, amber, and black (gnd). If you have three gauges like myself, you will tie together three wires for each color.

Next you will solder a longer extension wire to each 3-wire connection like this. My skills are not the greatest. A 7 year old kid in a Chinese factory could solder faster and better than me.

Put heatshrink on each solder connection.

For the green wire on each of the harness, you will extend that with another green wire. These will each go to a specific sensor, instead of like the red, white, and amber wires which all go to a power source. Remember to label each green wire with ‘oil temp’ or ‘oil press’ so you know which sensor they go to later. Also make note which plug goes into which gauge (label them). Solder each connection and heatshrink as above.

You’ll have a cleaner looking wiring setup that will plug into the gauges

At the bottom of the wiring setup, you should have one red, amber, white, and black wire (instead of 3). You should also have two green wires (each one labeled ‘pressure’ or ‘temp’)

Now solder some of these terminals to the red, white, and amber wires. Tab is 6.3mm wide. These will go to your power source. Heatshrink as usual.

Run your harness through to wherever you will install the gauges. I don't have a radio so I just ran it through my stereo location down to the bottom.

The picture below is just for reference only. This is how I plugged my wires to the power source. Use a multimeter to test the voltage of each source when your car is off, keys on, and headlights on.
    Red wire always goes into E (12v power when car is on)
    If you want white gauges all the time, just put the white wire into C, and leave the amber wire (tape it up with electrical tape).
    If you want amber gauges all the time, just put the amber wire into C, and leave the white wire (tape up).
    If you want white gauges in day and amber at night, put the white wire into C, and the amber wire into D.
    If you want amber gauges in the day and white at night, do the reverse.

Setup your oil filter adapter plate as so. Tighten the senders as tight as possible, as well as the screws that plug the empty holes. Use telfon tape sparingly, these get tight. I ran out of the right color wires as you can see, so I had to use odd colors that didn’t match with the harness. But this isn’t Queer Eye for the Straight Guy so I didn’t care. The yellow wire on the oil pressure sender should be green, as you will be connecting this wire to the green ‘oil pressure’ wire from the harness. The white wire should also be green, as you will be connecting this wire to the green ‘oil temperature’ wire from the harness. The two wires in the middle are just for the ground, so feel free to connect them together and extended with one wire.

Remove your oil filter

Next step is to just attach the oil filter adapter plate without the new filter. You will need a 26mm socket to get this on and tightened. Tighten this adapter plate in very well. Put on your new oil filter as usual. Put some oil on the O-ring and hand tighten. This is how mine looks, position wise. Should be enough room in any car.

Put some heatshrink tubing over the three wires running from the oil filter adapter (oil press wire, oil temp wire, and ground). Run this bundle in a discreet way through your engine bay and through the firewall.

Take a look at your wiring and trim away any wires that are too long. From the firewall, connect the end of the wire from the oil pressure to green wire of the corresponding harness. Solder if possible and heatshrink. Do the same for the oil temperature wires as well. Ground the necessary wires (should be 2: one from oil adapter and one from harness). Zip tie any extra wires and tuck them away somewhere.

Start up your car and pay attention to any sounds from the oil filter. On my B18Cr, the oil pressure is usually around 35-40 psi on idle (1000 rpm) and doesn't go above 80-85 psi at vtec.

Comments:
    The prosport gauges are really good value for money. Made in Taiwan. Had my stuff ordered and arrived in less than a week. Look online for discount codes. I believe I got all my gauges + adapter plate here for less than $190 shipped. The premium series gauges are the best in their lineup, very similar to Defi's opening/closing style. And the premiums are available in metric.

Thanks for looking!

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    nice write up. this should come in handy for those looking to install some gauges

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    nice write up. gonna try this soon =D
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC