Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 EK Hatch

Lightbulb Cupholder for Civic EK

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Hi guys, this is my first DIY on this forum and Im pretty sure this alternative hasn't been covered before so I though I'd post it up and try to get some PQ points in the process. Please do give me some points if you find this helpful.

Having to hold the cup between my legs every time I get some drive-thru maccas really pisses me off, and its also not very fun when changing gears while trying to balance the cup. So after trying out several other cupholder ideas on the web that did not require me to fork out 50-100 bucks for an OEM cupholder centre console, I found this is to be a more sustainable alternative. This is nothing flashy or OEM but it does the job of holding your maccas or HJ drink in place, its real easy, real cheap, and you don't have to drill any holes in your interior (just cut the cable ties off if its not working for you).

Aim: A cheap and simple cupholder alternative for the civic
    Required:
    1x Similar type of cupholder as in the pics
    6x Cable ties
    Wood/plastic cutting soldering kit

Steps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0399..jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	14552
    This is the finished product on the car. It is attached to the little rubbish flap behind the handbrake lever. The bottom bar that protracts from the bottom is actually what makes the whole thing really stable. The cupholder came attached to the middle air-con flaps when I bought the car (I'm pretty sure its the ones you can buy at K-Mart) and I removed it right away cause that didn't really seem like a very strong mounting point. I'd assume it would also cause a big mess if my drink were to fall from that height.

Name:	IMG_0397..jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	14549
    This is how it looks when you take the rubbish flap out.
    1. Break off the clip that attaches the cupholder to the air con vents.
    2. Use the soldering kit to make two little holes at the two arrows in the picture so that you can pass a cable tie through them.
    Note: The holes are made to the CUPHOLDER, NOT ON THE OEM RUBBISH FLAP.

Name:	IMG_0396..jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	14554
    3. Pass the cable ties through the wire at the bottom of the pocket (as shown with the arrows)
    4. Link the pocket and the cupholder firmly with cable ties.
    5. Attach the pocket back on the car.
    6. DONE.

Name:	IMG_0398..jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	14553
    With the flap closed

Name:	IMG_0400..jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	14550
    With drink

Name:	IMG_0401..jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	14551
    With bottle

Other comments:
    All up cost me close to nothing as the cupholder was already in the car when I bought it, found the soldering kit in storage (Might be able to use a small penknife too I guess), and I have cable ties in abundance (its a DIY-ers best friend). Have been using this for a few weeks now and it has not spilt on me yet. Will probably continue using this until I can snap up a decent priced OEM cupholder from the wreckers.

Cheers!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    nice work. considered using black cable tires and maybe spray the cup hold to black for a OEM look?
    凸-_-凸

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 EK Hatch
    Good idea on spraying it black. I think I have some Rustoleum all-surface spray lying around. The red ones were the first ones I found lying around that were the appropriate length and width. I'll get to switching them out when I get some time. Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5
    nice idea, but not everyone has a soldering kit lying around the house.
    so if they wanted to do this, they'd have to fork out more money to do this.

i'd suggest this DIY for people that already have a soldering kit or can borrow one from a friend!

might give this one a go as i am in the same boat with no cup holder lol

but pictures are hard to follow cause u took them with basically everything already mounted (put together)

some before/after pics are best

so how do i +PQ? finding this interesting, would like for it to be elaborated on with more details!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 EK Hatch
    Since the only time you need to use the soldering kit is to make the two tiny holes, I guess another alternative of the soldering kit would be to hold a metal nail with a plier, put it over a flame to make it hot enough to burn thru the plastic cupholder.

Not sure how to elaborate it further, but once you take the rubbish flap off your car you will understand where the arrows in my pics are pointing. Just use as many cable ties as you need to tie that mofo down firm. lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    lol yeh ive driven with a large drink between my legs. very awkward

Btw if ur a real tight arse you can fit the maccas cupholder to the EK's cupholder area http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/9982/dscf3293.jpg
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5
    i just went down to my local repco and they are selling this exact cup holder lol.
    thinking if i should attempt this DIY myself!

im gonna bookmark this thread haha