Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra 2002

Question Kiddracing header leaking at slip joints, whats the solution?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if any of u get any leaks with this header? I just installed mine last week with new hi flow cat converter, and hks silent hi power exhaust. Apparently there is leaks at the slip joint. I am very sure about this. My mechanic confirmed that too. What's the best solution to seal it? I am thinking of disassembling and applying high temperature RTV red silicone around the joint and assemble the headers again.

I've done abit of research and found that some people were successful using that method. I don't really want to weld it because it will create stress on other areas and make the header to crack.

The cost to take disassemble and assemble is quite exp. I got quoted 200-250$. Its also not guaranteed if the sealant will work. What do u guys think?

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    i don't think rtv sealant would hold up on headers would it?
    i assembled mine with some exhaust cement, haven't installed it yet but i hope it's gonna hold

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra 2002
    i'm not sure, some people are able to seal the leaks using those rtv sealant. maybe i should wait until you installed it and take it from there. Atm, i have a spluttering noise when i accelerate. its kinda annoying

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Use high temp Copper sealant. I use that to seal leaks at the header-exhaust flange.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra 2002
    Okay, if i want to take the headers apart myself, can i just leave the header bolted on the engine while pulling the slip joints apart? I'm just worried if i will damage the engine due to knocking it with a mandrel. What are the necessary tools that i need to take it apart? Cheerz

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra 2002
    Hey guys, I'm bringing my car to the shop. He will put high temp copper silicone base sealant on the slip joint. Ill let u know how it goes.

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    do you also get a shake during stops at lights? at red lights my car is excessively shaking bits by bits but doesn't happen while you drive or at startup only at random stops during the drive
    so i assume it's got something to do with the heat/temp or is it leaking somewhere? can anyone confirm what this is or whether its normal for race headers

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    no, it's not normal
    my old leaky tri-y headers did not cause vibrations

i'd say it's something different causing the shake
    revs too low
    timing off
    broken engine mounts
    solid engine mounts?

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Oh yeah i was thinking engine mounts were on the way out soon, nah not solid mounts hadn't changed it since got the car so i guess mounts are on way out

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra 2002
    Finally, my header is sealed properly with high temp silicone sealant. I just hope that it will last for at least 2 years. hehe