Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Honda n360/n600/scamp

Good evening all

I Thought I would join this forum to see if I could suss the minds of some Honda enthusiests regarding the N series Hondas from the late 60s early 70s.

As my first car I was given a 1972 Honda N600, loved driving it around and it was in great condition for its age.

Now (seven years later) I am wanting to restore/rebuild it to show room condition, problem being its bloody hard to find anyone in Australia that has worked on them.

So is there anyone out there that can give me information on rebuilding/restoring the classic honda? anyone else done one? anyone know where I can get parts or if any parts are interchangable?

thanks in advance for any help ladies and gents

bump

is there a section that this is more appropriate for?

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    Hey mate,

I can move this to "Other" Honda vehicles but i am unsure if you are going to get any response their either... but lets give it a go.

Unfortunately the membership on the forum will be too young to help you with your question, let alone know the car you are talking about!

I fo one love them and would love to see some snaps of it... and follow the build process too...
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    I fo one love them and would love to see some snaps of it... and follow the build process too...

Heres a picture of the old girl.

Hopefully someone can help out with some knowledge. Other wise it might be a long journey alone, cheers Zilli

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    looks to be in good solid condition eh? Where were these vehicles preodminantly sold? were they released on Australia?

First sold in Australia in 68, mine being a 72 model. From what i gather they were released in the US, SA, UK, JP and AU.

Not sure if there was many sold here but i see them on ebay from time to time.

I got this when I was 16 from a family friend, all I had to do to get it road ready was weld up a reverse gear and get the clutch machined. Drove it for a year until I moved for Uni and havent driven her since sadly. Its in brilliant condition considering its age, but at the moment its sitting in my brothers shed waiting for some loving. From what I can tell it was originally a Scamp (or an n360, which had the 360cc engine in it) but has had the 600cc engine put in it.

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    wow... :-) what a great history... definitely worth bringing back to her former glory

there must be some forums somewhere that can help you out mate

Where are you located?
    I have a long term goal to get a Honda S600 or S800 (much harder to find cheap) and restore it, and the next TN360 or TN7 (i think they were called) ute I see on ebay, I want to buy with the aim of having it as a daily driver, I only live 10 mins from work so would be fun as a daily haha. and I could use it to pick up all the parts needed for restoration! sadly, most old Hondas like these only ever seem to be for sale in North Queensland or the like, and although cheap, would be too costly to go up and get it.
    I cant get anything until next year when i move house (requirement is that it has double garage and a carport...) but once I am in, will look for the S600
    Hope you dont lose faith in getting your project done, would be nice to see some of these cars getting around still.
    Cheers, Chris
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cheers Chris, good luck finding an S car, i would love to own one and restore it!

I live on the gold coast but my car is garaged in the bush in western NSW at the moment, such a shame as I cant even continue pulling it apart.

There is a forum called Japanese Nostalic Car that I am on but once again it is hard finding many Australians on the site let alone parts in Aust, good advice on there though.

Guys you can check out 'www.1stgencivic.org' as there are quite a few early honda guys there. I n the forums there is a Vintage Subforum with the N's Z's and so on.

Meldge

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    s2000
    tryed honda clubs?we used to get a lot of s600 parts from guys in nth sydney..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    No Honda

Honda N600 (Scamp 600)

Hardyards

I owned one of these from new, between (approx) 1967 and 1970. (Anyway, from whenever they were released.)
    I lived in Sydney and bought the car from a Honda motorbike dealer in Parramatta.

The car was primarily used to drive from Eastwood to Chippendale, where I worked but about every four to six weeks I'd do a round trip up the Pacific Highway to Port Macquarie, where my parents lived.
    That car could sit on 60 mph all day without a problem and stirring the gearbox up hills (Buladelah) just made for more enjoyment.

I had the wheels widened and chromed and fitted with Dunlop SP Sports Aquajets. The fake wood-rim steering wheel was replaced with a smaller leather-bound item.
    Nothing was done to the engine.

There was a 6-month warranty on it and the services were done by the dealer at Parramatta.

A couple of years after I bought it it dropped the camshaft chain as I was passing over Ross Glen bridge at 1:00 AM. A "clunk" followed by silence as I coasted to a halt.
    The NRMA guy from Kew turned up, took one look at the car and said "What the $#@! is that?!!" - which was all I needed to say "Just tow me to Kew please, I'll arrange to have the car taken to Taree".
    Which I did, and it was repaired by the local Honda motorcycle guy there.

Not long after that episode I decided to replace the ball bearings in the CV joints and did it myself. I am not a mechanic, by any means, but I still found it a relatively easy job.

The moral of this long-winded story, if there is one, is that anyone with a bit of mechanical nouse can work on these gems. Tracking down parts will be the hardest part, I would venture to guess.

I would love to own another one, just for nostalgia's sake, and only came across this forum because I was doing a search for any that might be for sale.

All the best with it.

Bruce
    Canberra