Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi

EK1 Stock Exhaust pipe Size + Twin Loop Muffler, Worth It?

Hey guys, bit of a noob to Honda's and have just recently bought an EK1 CXi as my second car.

Does anyone know the size of the EK1's stock exhaust piping? The reason i ask, is i'm planning on getting a cheapo ebay Mugen TwinLoop replica to tide me over until i have enough dosh to get a full I/H/E combo done on it, and wondering if it can be just welded on. Inlet is 2.5" and have no idea what stock piping is. Being on centerlink apprentice wages means i don't get a lot to play with, and have to do most things in incriments.

Also, is it worth buying a cheap rip off? Or should i just get a fart can from supercheap and have the blokes weld it on at an exhaust place? I'm just looking for alittle more noise but nothing like a weedwhacker.

Hope you guys can help, constructive criticism is always welcome =)

awaiken.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    i would get intake before any exhaust mods if you are on a budget

get a simota big tube intake off ebay for $120 and you will be happy with the sound it makes =D
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    if ur after a bit of sound, but not get epa'd, best bet is twin loop...
    Not sure, but i think stock is 2inches.... so 2.25 would be next best... runnin 2.5 is bit over kill, unless u plan 2 turbo in the near future

A cheap exhaust will always sound cheap, so if u want a quality sound, better off saving a bit more an get like mugen, xforce, spoon etc... even 2nd hand 1's are better than that cheap tin sound
    If u do go for the ebay, better off getting a full axle back or cat-back system, rather than cut an paste job, that way it flows better, an looks hell lot cleaner...

Dont expect any major power increase, response yes, power, no....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi
    Yeah, i'm aware of the tinny sounds and whatnot, but also just want it for looks aswell, until i have the money to get a decent xforce or mugen full system. As for intake, already have a big tube and still looking for a bit more sound without being defectable haha.

Cheers for the input fella's.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Stock piping diameter is 1 and three-quarter inch.

Don't go any bigger than 2 inch unless ur running forced induction else you'll lose too much back pressure and the thing will just 'bog' when you put ur foot down
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    funny how people say when u put on a bigger exhaust system that they'll bog down, thats a load of rubbish, its more so to do with the way the headers flow.... im running a 2.5 cat back mandrel bent, as im goin turbo the d16 next year, and honestly i cant feel the difference... still feels like the same ol d16 as when it was stock. yes its over kill on a stock d16, but i still love the sound it puts out

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    yep, there's nothing stopping you going bigger than 2 inch but it'll also make the exhaust 'drone' which will make your car sound like a 'fart can' - which is cool if that's what you want. But Honda's should have a nice deep note... Sharing my personal experience I had a full exhaust fitted at Hi-Tech Mufflers in Darlinghurst - who design and dyno test all their products at their factory in Bathurst - and their professional recommendation for a stock 1.6L was 2 inch piping. 2.5 inch is cool for forced induction.

I don't know the benefits on twin loops etc - but IMHO I think you're better to save up a little more and get a straight through muffler fitted at your local exhaust shop - I'm sure it wouldn't be anymore than $100 or so installed.

Good luck with whatever you decide :-)
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    agreed, 2 inch is the way to go.... not doubting u man, but as i said, 2.5 didn't make much difference in terms of drive-ability, but in terms of sound, id say its more so the way its design that factors into the sound it makes... such as mufflers, resonators, headers etc.... reason why u say farty, is cause a lot of the cheaper systems well are cheap, cheap material, poorly designed mufflers etc.. you pay for what you get for i guess...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi
    Well as i said i'm also just looking for some looks aswell. Car is completely bog standard apart from the intake. Has ugly arse clip on hubcaps, and really can't afford rims atm, so was thinking of just ripping them off and spray painting the stockies black for the time being haha.

The replica twin loop i'm looking at is $109, and the local exhaust shop said it shouldn't be anymore than $70-$80 installed. That sounds fairly good to me. Specs of the muffler are 2.5" inlet, mugen twin loop design, 4" chrome tip. Not a cannon, it looks nice and slick, and 4" is only 0.5" bigger than an XForce S10 tip.

I've considered forking out extra money for a full exhaust system, but i just cant justify it as i am thoroughly looking into doing a B16B swap from an EK9 Half Cut sometime in the future. And if the stock piping is as near as makes no difference to 2" already, what's the point in forking out for bugger all gain. I'd rather get decent job on a nice quiet aftermarket muffler instead of wasting $$$ on a chrome system where it's just gonna get dirty anyway (nice and dusty roads where i live).

Anyway, i'll probably end up going the ebay muffler. Looks good, and if reviews are anything to go buy (lulz, probably not haha) then it seems to be of decent quality.

You guys had any experience with engine swaps and stuff? Would love to hear some stuff on that subject!

Cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Yep, if ur looking to do an engine swap then good to save your pennies for that, but I'm clueless in that area lolz :-)

But nice to hear someone putting a muffler on and not a cannon lol - and 4 inch in great for the tip. I got a 4inch angle tip on my EK sedan and I agree I think it looks slick and not too 'aftermarket' with a cannon

By civica at 2009-09-28
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic CXi
    Oh very nice mate. Looks very shmick.

Not sure of the rules, but i'll link you's to the muffler i'm looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Universal-Twi...#ht_2071wt_911

If it doesn't work i'll PM ya's. Let us know what you think =)

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    If you really want a twin loop then go for it mate. Obviously it'll cost a bit more than what the exhaust shop quoted you - plus you need to pay for shipping and installation once you get it. Bang for buck the cheaper option is to go with exhaust ship IMO - but a twin loop does look pretty cool... (youtube it for sounds clips :-D) what's the idea of the twin loop anyway?
    HONDAOEMMUGEN