Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Member Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic
    Hey guys, sorry for delay on reply.

Been meaning to do a clip of how it sounds, just havent got around to it with work, gf etc etc.

Also, the job cost me $190 all up. $70 of that was for a replacement tip.

I had the bloke keep the stock muffler & piping intact as a 'just in case' (as this is sort of an experiment with an ebay replica).

The bloke who did the job cut the stock exhaust off at the flange next to the rear axle, as it would have been a b*tch to try and fabricate a new flange to fit. He had to make a new pipe from the flange to the back of the muffler, just measured up a rough length then used trial and error to work out how to bend it to fit nicely (which he did exceedingly well). The pipe he used was same size as stock (1.75") so it would fit nicely on the stock flange, then just widened a few centimetres of the muffler end of the pipe so it would fit nicely on the muffler's 2.5" inlet, then obviously just welded it all together once it was all lined up nicely.

As I said previously, the tip that comes with the muffler is far too long & wide for a Civic, would have gone nicely on a Skyline or something, though. We tried cutting the tip back, but it just wouldn't work & would look ridiculous. In hindsight, it would have been wise for me to source a new tip myself (instead of having to pay them $70 for one of theirs), but I'm overall happy with how it sits.

Still sounds good to this day & haven't seen or heard anything odd from it. Only thing I have noticed is, the warmer the piping gets, the louder the exhaust gets. Not sure if this is common with aftermarket 'sports' mufflers, as I've never owned a car with one before (owned a '91 Laser previously). As an example of what I mean, if I drive the car early in the morning to work, it's cold outside, the car is obviously cold, I can't even hear the exhaust from inside the cabin with the windows up, but by the time I get to work (45 mins later), I can hear the exhaust inside the cabin. But as I've mentioned, it's not loud, it's a nice, subtle growl.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Nice work man, and not a bad deal

But yep, I notice the same with my Civic (again, never had a car with an exhaust before) especially on a drive to Sydney - once it heats up get more of that snap, pop and crackle on up changes.

And don't know if it's just my car - but after it's warmed up at normal engine revs, it just needs one good rev and then she's on song the whole trip...
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    Quote Originally Posted by TranceZiggy View Post
    Hey guys, sorry for delay on reply.

Been meaning to do a clip of how it sounds, just havent got around to it with work, gf etc etc.

Also, the job cost me $190 all up. $70 of that was for a replacement tip.

I had the bloke keep the stock muffler & piping intact as a 'just in case' (as this is sort of an experiment with an ebay replica).

The bloke who did the job cut the stock exhaust off at the flange next to the rear axle, as it would have been a b*tch to try and fabricate a new flange to fit. He had to make a new pipe from the flange to the back of the muffler, just measured up a rough length then used trial and error to work out how to bend it to fit nicely (which he did exceedingly well). The pipe he used was same size as stock (1.75") so it would fit nicely on the stock flange, then just widened a few centimetres of the muffler end of the pipe so it would fit nicely on the muffler's 2.5" inlet, then obviously just welded it all together once it was all lined up nicely.

As I said previously, the tip that comes with the muffler is far too long & wide for a Civic, would have gone nicely on a Skyline or something, though. We tried cutting the tip back, but it just wouldn't work & would look ridiculous. In hindsight, it would have been wise for me to source a new tip myself (instead of having to pay them $70 for one of theirs), but I'm overall happy with how it sits.

Still sounds good to this day & haven't seen or heard anything odd from it. Only thing I have noticed is, the warmer the piping gets, the louder the exhaust gets. Not sure if this is common with aftermarket 'sports' mufflers, as I've never owned a car with one before (owned a '91 Laser previously). As an example of what I mean, if I drive the car early in the morning to work, it's cold outside, the car is obviously cold, I can't even hear the exhaust from inside the cabin with the windows up, but by the time I get to work (45 mins later), I can hear the exhaust inside the cabin. But as I've mentioned, it's not loud, it's a nice, subtle growl.

nice work you pay some one to hack your exhaust for no gain what so ever
    money well spent
    the reason they cut your flange as its easier for them to just add a shit 2 bolt flange

Member Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by 90LAN View Post
    nice work you pay some one to hack your exhaust for no gain what so ever
    money well spent
    the reason they cut your flange as its easier for them to just add a shit 2 bolt flange
    Was never after any gain mate, If I was after any sort of power I wouldn't have bought an EK1 to begin with.

Criticism isn't needed. Cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    so you just put it on for looks?

so why wouldnt you just add a tip to your oem exhaust ...........if you werent after power go figure

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    He wanted sound as well? No need to get upset over someone elses car.....

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    What sound fart noise
    im not upset im laughing that the exhaust shop took his money for what he calls quality work

Member Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by 90LAN View Post
    What sound fart noise
    im not upset im laughing that the exhaust shop took his money for what he calls quality work
    I was also half expecting fart noise, and if that were the case, the joke would have been on me. But I tried something different that didn't have any guarantee's it would sound any good, but it does. Sure, would sound a bit better with headers, full cat back etc. but considering there would also be no gain at all from that on a stock d16y4, that would be an even bigger waste of money, wouldn't it?

And now I'm sharing my experience with OzHonda in case anyone else ends up in the same boat as I (low budget, not looking for power gains, aesthetic mods only - yes this includes noise). If you haven't tried it, don't bag it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    I was giving you my exprience
    but hey what do i know about car modifying
    Hope you enjoy your new muffler