Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5

Question EK1 Engine Oil Change (Need Details Please) - D16Y4

hey guys,

uni holidays are coming up so i thought i might attempt an oil change for fun
    oh - did 40 minutes of searching and reading but couldnt find anything specific on oil changing..
    just a bunch of people asking for oil types and qualities and so on

i have a few questions..

how much oil needs to be replaced during an oil change in the d16y4 engine?
    i have a service manual but it only specifies for the d16y7, y5 and y8 engines

does anyone here have a service manual specifically for the d16y4 engine?
    i would really appreciate it!

lastly would you veterans have any tips for a newbie like me?
    i dont want anything to go wrong lol

thanks in advance!

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    y4 should be not different from other d engine. my y8 takes 3.5 lt with oil filter replaced.
    Try putting 3.5, and check the dip stick. top up as necessary.
    tips:
    * get hex socket to avoid rounding the nut.
    * get a new washer for the sump plug. only $1 and it should seal the oil pan snug.
    These tips were learnt with a hard way

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz GD
    Best off to find out exactly how much oil the sump takes. Take note whether the oil quantity includes the filter; if not, add about 150-200ml for the filter volume.
    If you just do it by guess work, you may think it needs a litre to get to the full mark(from where the 3.5L takes it) and it only required half, then it's over full. Overfull is just as bad as underfull as oil can be sucked into intakes and breathers, YUK.
    DOn't be superman tightening the sump plug back up either or you'll have trouble next time undoing it. Also, don't tighten the filter with anything other than your hands if you have good access that is.

Check 2 times{at least} you have replaced the sump plug!!!....experience speaking here too.
    Last edited by cazz'shonda; 28-06-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    have u looked at the owners manaul? lol but it should tell u the exact specification as to what oil and how much, but aniways, d16y1,y4,y8 all pretty much take in 3.5 liters at most

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    Looking in my service manual it doesn't say how much oil needs to be changed, just the km interval to perform the replacement of oil/filter. I'll keep looking through service and owners manuals incase i missed it. Sorry xD

Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5
    sweet as guys, thanks for the info + tips!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    The amount shouldnt matter as your supposed to check the dipstick. Make sure the car is on a flat surface when checking.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

i know this is for the ek1 but since the topic is open does any1 know the amount i gota put into a CL9. the accord euro 05.
    i did it by guess but just for future reference please..thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Quote Originally Posted by kural7 View Post
    i know this is for the ek1 but since the topic is open does any1 know the amount i gota put into a CL9. the accord euro 05.
    i did it by guess but just for future reference please..thanks
    Check your manual, but nomally i put in about 3 1/2 litres check it and add bits as required.
    All depends on your setup i.e oil coolers the filters etc.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

i checked the manual but it had like weird signs i thought maybe its a different measurement. ohh well when i check it its in between so im kool with that.

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    The service manual and owners manual doesn't actually tell you how much oil to put into the engine. It tells you how to remove the cap and how to install an oil filter, remove oil and put oil back.

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    ^ actually it does. I had the EK1 owners manual and service manual on pdf. It was like 3.8L plus 200mL more on a dry engine. Like i said the exact amount doesnt matter, after 3L you should be checking the dipstick
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS