Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2

Ideas on what this sound may be? PLEASE HELP!

Ok so basically I've got a 1995 Vti-R and something I've noticed since I bought it is that when you hit about 3100RPM and up through the rev range you can hear a feint sort of buzzing/rattling sound coming from the engine/gearbox area, this sound seems to be less audible when the car isn't moving and in this case can only really be heard when the revs come back down sometimes, even while the clutch is pressed.

It sounds like it's coming from the passengers side of the engine bay. The strange thing is you can only hear it from inside the cabin...? My engine is running good and hasn't got any problems so I don't think it's anything serious, it's just annoying and I'd like to get rid of it.

So, anyone got any ideas or has anyone else experienced this?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 K20
    sounds like ur CAT converter its rattling inside
    FS thread OMG heaps of parts for dc2/eg/ek wrecking eg vti!: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111753

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Check your Pannels, tap your door and see if it rattles, tap your passenger side pannel and see if it rattles.

This recently happen to mine and it was my passenger side pannel, i had to tighten it up abit.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Yeah I'll check that out, although it's hard to believe that if it was a panel or something, that it's only buzzing in a certain rev range and not during vibrations from the road. (my car's on buddyclub coilovers so it's a pretty stiff ride) Thanks for your input!

And in terms of the cat, that may be a possibility, but when I had that problem with my DA I could clearly hear that it was coming from under the car and not from the front. Worth a check anyway, thanks!

I'm also gonna try see if I can lube up the engine pulleys somehow, I was thinking they might be a possible cause, any ideas on what would be good for that? WD40? Lithium grease?

Correct me if I'm trying something stupid haha.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R
    Might be checking out your exhaust connections because as you know when you rev the car the engine tilts back and if the connection isn't even on all sides you will notice it. Other than that get your valve clearance check and adjusted? Really depends on where the sound is coming from, higher in the engine bay or lower? and does the sound follow your revs.

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Check your header mounting bracket hasnt broken.
    Its the one at the back of the header (collector).

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra dc2
    hey champ is your air box open by any chance or have u got a pod filter or anything...ive got a similar noise around 3000rpm mark which come frm my airbox

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    oh, yeah man i don't have the top half of my airbox, the car came with it off when i bought it, could this have something to do with it?

thanks guys i'll check these things out for sure, although i thought about the valve clearance, and it wouldn't make sense because it's coming from one side and you can't hear it from the outside or even when you stick your head in the engine bay for that matter.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '95 vti-r Integra
    i am almost positive i have the same prob. best sources always told me it was either the CAT or rocks in the exhaust. i just haven't paid to have it all replaced/checked. turn up musack and u won't here it
    i need more gigawatts

Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL
    i had that sound as well. rattly sounds when using too much torque.
    when i got my timing belt changed from Honda, they adjusted a few things as well and sounds went away.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 CRX
    It's difficult to know what it could be without hearing the noise.

Knocking/rattling noise

My CRX had a noise that came from the gearbox and it was just a small bearing that had worn down inside the transmission. My first CRX was a bit noisier and it was a bigger bearing in the gearbox that was worn down. However, if you're getting the noise while not moving and with the clutch in then it shouldn't be the gearbox.. It could still be a clutch thrust bearing or something..

There are some harmonics associated with a lot of hondas, it's only minor normally but they do feel busy at times..

I hope you manage to find someone to help mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Ok so after having a good listen, i think you guys may be right in that it's 'probably' the cat converter or possibly the same problem my DA had at one stage, which was the resonator. it sure seems that way now, so i'm trying to track down an affordable catback system and a high flow cat, wanted to get xforce but am not having much luck finding a place to buy it from, last guy i checked with said it was out of production. reason for this is that i don't wanna waste money on another stock part when i'm gonna eventually buy a sport exhaust anyway.

anyone know where i could get a decent catback system that wont rape my wallet?

thanks for all the help thus far!~