Angry Jazz Rear Brakes Replacement

Hey guys,

Am just in process doing my service for 40,000 km and got a surprising call from the service man regarding rear brakes replacement. He quoted $295! Does it really cost that much to replace bloody pads? I thought the approx. price for pads was around $60sh, but apparently Honda's pads are $150. Would you recommend to replace the pads yourself and whether non-Honda pads will do the job?

Cheers
    Elena

i thought the GD jazzes have drum brakes for the rear?

Member Array
    Car:
    NondaRalliJuzz
    pretty sure the pre-facelift (-'05) have rear drums, and the facelift ('05 - '07) have rear disc. not sure about GE ('07+)

Member Array
    Car:
    08 Euro Lux
    only GE model jazz has rear disc...

every other model has Drum brakes at the back!!

i've found aftermarket drum pads online for like sub-$90 a set. if you're willing to fit them yourslef, go for it. they are drums, and not that hard really. That said... the above looks like 3-4 hours labour, (about right if they intent to flush the system...) plus pads and markup.

if you can find the instructions online, (google FTW), and know how to spin a spanner, give it a go.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG hatch
    Hey there Elena.. Im assuming you have a new model GE Jazz? Nice well if you are up for rear pads already you must do some serious braking!! hahaha...... The price you were quoted by Honda is for genuine brake pads one 1 hour labour to fit im guessing.. Well you can get pad like you said for about half the cost of genuine but if you do i recommend you get the 'Bendix CT plus' pads as they wear quite similar to the genuine pads from my expriences.. alot of other brands some cheaper some more exxy actually cause the brake discs to wear and dont pull up as well, and if that happens maybe not the next service but in a few services time you will probably be hit up for new discs and pads!! You really dont want that!
    Just my 2cents.......hope this helps
    If it aint VTEC .........Fix it!!

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Can't believe you need rear pads at 40K km's. Fronts last about this long, rears should do double or more. Do you drive with the hand brake on ?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    GD3
    Um.......................