Thread: o2 sensor

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec

o2 sensor

hey guys, i put some aftermarket headers on my 94 civic today but couldnt get the o2 sensor off the stock headers.. so im running with no o2 sensor until moday (will buy one on monday). what will be the effects of running no o2 sensor? will it be okay to drive it around for a few days like that, coz i get a really bad burning smell.. nd how much will a new one be roughly?

also, i feel like ive lost alot of power.. is that because i dont have a sensor on at the moment?

They're expensive, although generic autobarn ones aren't too bad. Trying to think how much mine was last time i bought it. I think it was around 50.

Will your engine survive a few days without the sensor? Yes.

Is it the reason your car has no power? Yes.

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    loll thank you!!

i was stressing out thinking i wasted money on headers that reduced power!!!

also would u have any idea on how to know if theres any leaks in my headers? coz i installed them myself.. everything is flush and screwed on tight but just to be sure and my headers didnt have a second sensor next to the catalytic converter.. is that normal on an eg? the stock one i removed didnt have any near the cat either? worried me a little..

Leaks? As long as you have fresh gaskets and correct torquing that shouldn't be an issue. Is there a reason your concerned about it?

If the car didn't have a secondary O2 don't worry about it. Most old Honda's only have one 02 sensor.

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    ohh okayy cool.. correct torquing? whats that? loll sorry im a noob!!

i put on an o2 sensor today that i picked up from autobarn for $65.. and i had to solder the sensor to the plug that plugs into the car.. all that is done now but when i turn right at low speed i hear a rattling noise.. and when i take off slow.. its coming form the middle of the car.. i was thinking maybe the cat?? but it doesn't really have anything to do with taking off slow or turning does it?

overall im happy with it.. im not very sure about the sound though.. it sounds a little more mean, but also rustly if u know what i mean.. dono if that normal. might have to take it to an exhaust shop and just get them to have a look at it..

Well if nuts that secure the header to the head are all torqued differently it could cause one side to 'lift' from the head, which could cause a leak.

Torquing is just the amount of pressure applied, in this instance to a nut/bolt.

Rattling noise could be from your cat, or the metal heat shields that cover the exhaust.

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    ahh okayy! nah nah everything was tightened evenly to make sure it sits flush.. and the rattling noise IS the heatshield covering the exhaust! i had a look at it before.

thanks soo much for all the help sp33

btw can the ehatshield above the exhaust be removed?

I removed the under part of my heat shield and that got rid of the rattling. I think the top half is still on there, so i'm not sure if it can be removed. If you can't get it off just use some wire to tighten it to the exhaust so it doesn't rattle.