Member Array
    Car:
    honda vfr800 98

CL9 Euro suspension

Hey guys,

just did a quick search and admittedly didnt look too hard but was seeking some answers about the cl9 suspension.

Its a lux 05 model and i have had it since new but lately the suspension ride is quite rough. It crashes through pot holes quite hard and going around corners is worse then its ever been. Now i know part of that is due to the tires being close to the way out but has anyone changed their suspension to make it more "euro" like?

I must be getting old but i really cant stand rough riding cars anymore, especially when its supposed to be a family car.

Would the fix be to get new softer springs and shocks to suit?

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro CL9 2003
    what kind of wheels do you have? thinner profile makes it a lot rougher ride also.

Member Array
    Car:
    honda vfr800 98
    stock size tyres on it at the moment.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY06 manual honda euro
    tire pressurE? i have my tire pressure abit higher than recommended so my ride is quite harsh over train lines and rough roads, plus my tire is about done its lifetime aswell. i would say my ride is at its worst atm aswell....

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Check all bushes, that usually will make it clunk and feel rough - i found my stock suspension to be wallowy yet firm at the same time (if you can understand that)

If you liked the suspension when it was new, then why would you need softer springs + shocks? There obviously is a problem there, and getting springs and whatnot may not fix the problem. If you did like the suspension from new, then investigate all other possibilities before doing that.

Bushes over time wear - see crap diagram.

A healthy bush (left) will have an equal amount of rubber "A" around the pivoting point of the bush, which means equal absorbtion vertically ie the suspension travel direction.
    A worn bush will wear like so (right) leaving eneven amounts of rubber around the pivoting point of the bush. As you can see with "B" there is less rubber here to absorb shock of bumps and whatnot - so basically when you hit a bump the shock will be transferred more directly to the suspension arm.

Also rubber bushes harden with age.

I would suggest to check your bushes, and then investigate other options - there will only be 3 things that contribute to this, bushes, shocks and springs. Obviously shocks and springs will also deteriorate with age as well. Hope this gives a bit of insight.

Honda Accord Euro

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Accord Euro
    it could also be somethin simple as worn out shocks, i have a set of stock susspension if u find they are faulty
    The Ari Gold of OZ Honda Forums

Member Array
    Car:
    honda vfr800 98
    Well it looks like we are going to be stuck with this car over the next 5 years or so......thats the plan.

I might take it to fulcrum one of these days and see if the bushes are done or not. The stock suspension might be getting on in age too so might just try and find a cheap 2nd hand set and bolt those on.

Anyone tried those cheap pedders suspension tests? or is it just a clever marketing tool to get you in and then hit you up for their products

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic 08 Vti-L
    How much would it cost to get new suspension or whateva for the euro CL9 standard? Ive done 100,000km's and it feels ok but i believe it could be better....even though i only had it for a couple of months? I am not interested in performance, just want ride comfort....of course i dont want it to roll like a boat just firm/comfort and no rough rides when on parra road...?