Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Im getting extractors fitted next week and i was wondering should i also get a pod filter? are they worth it? do they do much? :roll: thanx

Depending on what car you have - you shoudl simply buy a hi-flow replacement filter , use your stock airbox , and simply run a Cold air intake pipe thru ur bumper to it - Its not worth the bother using simply just a open pod - its illegal and LOSES HP.

I suggest , Trust , K+N etc -

Ben 8)

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    ben's right dude.... if you're considering running an open/exposed aftermarket pod filter in ur engine bay u should think twice bout it. try removing ur airbox cover for a day, drive around and you'll see what i mean. bet ur car feels less responsive and more sluggish with all that hot air being sucked it..
    hope that helps.

jon

Member Array
    Car:
    Justin & Hayden
    You'll get a lot of noise with the pod filter though...

Is it legal to have a pod filter with an air box around it?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble B
    You'll get a lot of noise with the pod filter though...

Is it legal to have a pod filter with an air box around it?
    yup.

maybe you should get a panel filter and a cold air feed going to that... can be done as a 'diy job'.... otherwise the pod wont do much unless you have a full cai system. pods hanging around in the engine bay sucking in hot air is useless..... if you want bang for buck - i would suggest an aftermarket replacement panel filter + some tubing for cold air feed
    フジタエンジニアリング

Exposed pod filters in an engine bay aren't that bad. I doubt you will notice a big difference between an exposed pod filter sitting in an engine bay and an enclosed air filter with a pipe running to it from under the front bar. It's a gimic a lot of workshops/retailers use so you go out and spend $400 on an AEM intake system or something similar. A $100 K&N pod filter will do the same job and if there is a kw difference it's probably about 1kw.

Member Array
    Car:
    Justin & Hayden
    Thanks, maybe I'll join Tony & co with the DIY CAI system. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble B
    Thanks, maybe I'll join Tony & co with the DIY CAI system. hehe
    hahaha are you? tell me how much it is approx...i might do it too...help the car breathe :dance:

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vti-2
    Exposed pod filters in an engine bay aren't that bad. I doubt you will notice a big difference between an exposed pod filter sitting in an engine bay and an enclosed air filter with a pipe running to it from under the front bar. It's a gimic a lot of workshops/retailers use so you go out and spend $400 on an AEM intake system or something similar. A $100 K&N pod filter will do the same job and if there is a kw difference it's probably about 1kw.
    I disagree. Heat soak in summer is a big issue and as intake charge temps increase, air density becomes an issue. That's the purpose behind a CAI, it pulls a cooler charge into the inlet than can be achieved from under the engine bay. Ask Spunkymunky about how much power she retrieved when she went back to a stock airbox from a under bonnet pod.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by vti-2
    yeh but add into the equation this.. your sittng at a set of lights on a hot summers day, air temperature is 33 degrees, can you imagine the temperature under the hood? like 70-80 degrees.... and your pod is suck all this in, and the radiator fan adds to the problem!
    either stick with the factory box, or get an enclosed box with intake or relocate the pod to the front bar!