Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Does anyone of you have LPG in your Honda?

Hello all,

I certainly have LPG in my Honda CRV, but I'm really annoyed:
    Yes, LPG is the big hype for the masses. Unfortunately every manufacturer/installer forgets to tell us (at least they did to me) the risks of installing it in some (too many) cars. Of course they didn't forget to almost double the price of installation when the government decided to pitch in with financial help to do such conversions.
    Anyway, my Honda CRV bought new in 2005 and converted in November 2007 (less han 3 years) is having serious problems. Started last month by getting very sluggish coming out of roundabouts and traffic lights. Backfires and now, specially in the morning, when it is still cold, just stalls 3 or 4 times. Beautiful. Took it to the installers: we've serviced the lpg system but there's an error in the computer we can't fix. something to do with too much gas going into the chambers. You have to take it to Honda. Ah ! here's the bill - $170. Took it to Honda. After leaving it there for a day and a half, they called me: The problem most surelly is the LPG that worn out valves and seals. Not our problem, we won't fix it even if you still have Honda warranty, they said. The manufacturer didn't have the balls to reply to my 2 emails and 1 phone call. The installer never told me I could take an extended warranty if something like this happened. So far, so good: I have a still very good shell of a car with a useless engine that will meet its maker soon. What to do ? Who to complain ? How can I get someone to fix the engine (I'm not paying !!!) knowing I didn't install LPG to wreck the car. Like I don't have a better place to waste my money. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

sorry but you installed LPG on a car that is otherwise not designed to run it. So , any issue down the line is not covered. So - that means YOU are paying to fix it no matter what.

Good luck , i suggest you vent your anger somewhere as there is no end to this. You must pay and fix it.

Thanks for your straight forwardness. About me paying will definitely be another issue, since for the 5 years I've been taking the car to the Honda Service, and never heard a no from them when I questioned them about puting LPG and after the LPG was installed and the several services done on the car. If it is Honda to pay or the LPG manufacturer or both, that is still to be seen. Also I still have a Honda extended warranty, so if we need a war to solve the issue, we'll have it for sure.
    But, anyway, I'm curious to see if other Honda drivers have LPG in theirs and how is it behaving.
    Regards.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    prob best chance is get AusHonda to write a statement saying the LPG system or the installation has caused the issue/breakdown.. then u prob can sue the company?

Honda extended warranty isnt going to cover u for a non OEM modify caused issue
    Last edited by m3ntAL_l2; 21-07-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    凸-_-凸

Member Array
    Car:
    Isabel
    /agree
    You should have looked into the issues further before the installation.
    YOU should have asked if its covered by warranty after conversion, what problems arise and if they're covered etc.

Don't think any amount of complaining will get you anywhere. This is your mistake and it will cost you money to fix it.

I guess you can take them to court or whatever actions you see fit but I think that it won't end well for you, probably better off just fixing it
    Last edited by pablos8; 21-07-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Samm928: I must say your the biggest noob kid ever.
    that is all.

WTFPWNED
    Secretly trying to make my daily into a warrior without my missus knowing...

Talking

pablos8, Is not quite like that, I think. I didn't install the LPg thinking that the engine would be wrecked in less than 3 years. Can you believe an engine that normally lasts 15-20 years has only lasted 2 +3 on LPG ? I don't think I made a mistake when I wanted to spend less money with fuel. My mistake was being so naive thinking that using LPG was the same as using petrol minus the price. If even the Government helps people to convert to LPG, why would I think that a certified, standardized LPG kit made specifically for the CRV would wear out a motor in less than 3 years? Wouldn't you be pretty annoyed if your car started to have serious problems if you used the cheapest petrol instead of the premium? Wouldn't you be looking for answers and why nobody ever cautioned you, even if you see thousands of people using it ? I think my frustration is valid and deserves a second look to see where the real problem lies. If the kit made for the car doesn't really work why is it my fault just because I chose to install it?
    But what I really would like is to know other people in this forum taht have installed LPG in their cars and how are they behaving.....
    Thanks for this healthy discussion.

Member Array
    Car:
    CR-V
    Just my $0.02, my neighbor have a 1997 odyssey converted to LPG. F23A engine SOHC. 1.5 years and still kicking, although he did had to come back twice for something minor.
    CR-V RD1 - The Daily
    V36 - Weekender
    R33 - Track Warrior

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    does your engine still run on petrol if so how well ?

your engine is built to run on unleaded thus not requiring lubricant on the valve seats, so LPG should be fine. if the engine for some reson has damaged valve seats you should have been runiing upper cylinder lube to prevent this. ( shouldnt need it )

its very unlikly your entire engine is damaged and would just require valve regrind and valve seat replace, repair, reseat.

LPG system requires a perfect ignition system otherwise you get some of the symptoms you described. Did they tell you the exact fault code that was in the engine ECU ?
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 21-07-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Want A Jazz
    Similar problem happened to my dad (its not a honda but hear me out)

My dad owns a 1975 HJ Holden GTS (before you ask yes its an absolute gem of a car and has been in my family since new and its all orginal - i still have the orginal engine in my shed)
    Anyways my dad wanted to get a new engine and so he went to HMGEM engines and ordered a stock standard 253 V8 Suited for LPG use. After about 24 months he started having minor problems
    took it back to our mechanic (who is also the LPG fitter and tuner) and had it checked, serviced and so forth - no problems found and the retune seemed to solve the problem - about 8months later we were coming back from albury picking up a car so we were towing another say 1.5ton (give or take) and the engine started struggling and then just cut out... we pulled over waited cranked it and she fired back up we thought it must ahve just been a blockage in the fuel line and we continued on our way, we got up to 100-120km and it started again. Again same thing. this happened 3 or 4 more times and by the time we got home it was happening any time the car had to idle.

Turned out that the heads provided for the car didn't have stainless valves (something we were told that it had and that was required for the LPG to work properly) HMGEM denied any fault and without proof that it was there wrong doing with recepits etc.. they didn't want to hear what we had to say, we even took the heads back to show them and they said we couldn't prove that these heads were from taht engine blah blah blah (this went on for about 6months) - after much anger and frustration and me being pissed off i took them to westpoint heads had them recoed and new stainless valves and a higher grade of stemseal fitted. Since then not one hiccup in the car.

My advice to you is the following:
    - Get all recepits of work for fitting installing etc.. for the LPG system and everything that certifies that the system you ahve is to sui your car.
    - If you ahve any emails where you've enquired to your honda dealer (or any others youve contacted about the matter) about fiitting of a LPG system
    - Try and get names and dates of who you spoke to and when
    - If on your service log recepits there should be work that was carried out and if you mentioned any LPG related servicing via the Honda dealer
    All of these kinds of documents and info will help you pled your case to your dealer, the LPG manufacture and the fitter.

But i must stress if you didn't ask the questions " Will a LPG system affect my Honda warrenty" " Will model XXX for the CRV have any negitive effects on my engine" " have there been any problems with this system being fitted to my model of car" etc..etc..

Then you might be shit outta luck - being naive isn't an excuse and you'll get nowhere saying - i wasn't told, they didn't explain to me - unless YOU asked the questions and did your research.
    . h i t o r i k o .

ECU-MAN, despite all, the car still goes reasonably well, both on petrol and LPG. The major problem is cutting out several times when it's cold and the sluggishness when coming out of roundabouts and traffic lights. There's the eventual backfire when going from a stand still or just cutting out when arriving at said roundab. and traf. lights.
    The Honda mechanics wrote in the statement the error code was DTC P0172 - fuel metering too rich, which was what the guy who serviced the LPG system told me.
    The code error refers to 8 possible problems within the code. Could be one of them, several or all of them. Only by repalcing each part tey could see exactly which part(s) is damaged. And the 8 errors are:
    -faulty O2/AF sensors
    -faulty pressure regulator
    -leaking fuel injectors
    -faulty throttle position sensor
    -faulty map sensor
    -faulty catalitic converter

Also they measured the cylinder compression and saw it was low when cold:
    compressions dry 130,150,150,150 cylinders 1-2-3-4 respectively
    compressions wet 155,175,178,165 cylinders 1-2-3-4 respectively

Thanks for your input, Hitoriko. If you install a LPG kit, specially made for this car, complying to all rules and regulations for this type of manufacture, and after all que questions asked, how are you gonna imagine you'll have serious problems so early ? Understand that if I knew Honda motors were crap and/or my car was old and worn, I wouldn't make any fuss whatsoever, but with a 5 year old car, 100K Km driven and a less than 3 years LPG installed, I think som thing like this happening is outrageous.

Member Array
    Car:
    red ap1
    same thing happen to us,
    stalls out of no where
    backfires if too much accel is applied too quickly
    slow as sh!t

so we just got rid of the lpg system and ran back on unleaded.

Lzybum, did you have to take it for repairs or something? What model car do you have ?