Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S

Low compression in one cylinder - what are the symptoms?

My car has low compression in 1 cylinder.

It tested:
    1- 175psi
    2- 125psi
    3- 175psi
    4- 175psi

Now with that much of a difference, should I be noticing poor performance and fuel consumption..? The only thing that I have noticed is a little bit of smoke when above 6500rpm.
    Other than that it goes well and is still good on fuel.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    civic coupe Vti
    can be oil ring in ur cylinder...

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Crap power output

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Really depends on where your loosing compression. Could be rings, head gasket, who knows?

Power output, not as good fuel economy. Its prol not something that you would notice, but would affect in some way.
    Deano.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    To put power output somewhat in perspective.

My friend made 100.7kw ATW in his B16A EF8 with I/H/E, stage 1.5 custom camshafts, skunk2 camgears, skunk2 valves/springs/retainers, port job, combustion chambers re-welded.

And I made 99.4kw ATW in my B16A EF8 with CAI, header and axle-back.

Turned out his compression was around the 180's and one cylinder around 140. Mine were 215, 210, 215 and 220.

Same dyno, within half an hour of one another.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    hmmm might have to give it a dyno run. I've put an astra vxr and an ls2 to shame recently. whether their driving skills are poor and mine are good i do not know. i tried to drive my car as far as it would go on a tank and i reached 420km when it started surging. i dont drive like an idiot but i definately don't cruise everywhere. seems pretty good to be honest, i am really confused. I think a lot of questions will be answered when I crack open the motor at a later date.
    p.s. dougie, you know i've met you recently?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    You have?

At Garage Cafe?

Edit: Actually looking at your pic I'm pretty sure that's you lol

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    yeah man that's me. I'm stumped on what to do to my car, in terms of the motor man.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Bro you have a built B16A. You can keep running it while it's sick for a little while - just check your oil is the right colour etc.

I suggest either getting another bottom end for cheap (around $200) and reco'ing that and swapping them or just asking Andy Le (Jonny's brother) to fix it for you when he's available. He built Prima's motor, fixed up all that crap on Manny's, build Jonny's motor, built the other Nick's B20, building my B16 atm. He's pretty good and works very fast. RevZone does good work too.

Get it fixed mate. Don't go swapping your whole engine and stuff. Only upgrade your bottom if you want to, but before you put a new bottom on have that reco'd also so you know it's solid.

Stick to the B.

Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    My car has low compression in 1 cylinder.

It tested:
    1- 175psi
    2- 125psi
    3- 175psi
    4- 175psi

Now with that much of a difference, should I be noticing poor performance and fuel consumption..? The only thing that I have noticed is a little bit of smoke when above 6500rpm.
    Other than that it goes well and is still good on fuel.
    Before listening to anyone else here

1. Was the test carried out properly ? IE. engine warm and WOT ?
    2. please go get a LEAKDOWN test to verify exactly where you are loosing compression in that exact cylinder.

IE valves , rings , headgasket etc

then go from there

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Before listening to anyone else here

1. Was the test carried out properly ? IE. engine warm and WOT ?
    2. please go get a LEAKDOWN test to verify exactly where you are loosing compression in that exact cylinder.

IE valves , rings , headgasket etc

then go from there
    Not sure if the comp test was done correctly or if the leak down was. I would assume that they (the mechanics) know what they are doing, they are from a reputable shop. It scored 80% in a leak down test on cylinder 2. The mech that did it said "I could hear the air escaping from everywhere, the rings are fcuked."
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Bro you have a built B16A. You can keep running it while it's sick for a little while - just check your oil is the right colour etc.
    Yeah don't get me wrong the car still drives well and pulls hard all the way to redline. It doesn't mix fluids, just eats a little oil.

I suggest either getting another bottom end for cheap (around $200) and reco'ing that
    Where the fcuk can you find a short b16a for $200!? I'll buy two... ahah

RevZone does good work too.
    I'm definitely going to take my car there for a tune but their prices on a rebuild are far too high.
    I got quoted $1500 for machine work, just to rebuild.
    Flowcraft (one of the best in the business) quoted me $700 and that is to suit a stroker kit.

Get it fixed mate. Don't go swapping your whole engine and stuff. Only upgrade your bottom if you want to, but before you put a new bottom on have that reco'd also so you know it's solid.
    I'm keeping my head either way, I already have itr cams, dual valve springs and diff retainers. The head was recently reco'd.

My budget of 6k must include a built bottom end, vrs kit, a new clutch and flywheel, new engine mounts, consumables, all labour and tuning. I'm sure more things will come up while in the process of it all. Really $6k is streching it to do everything with top quality parts.

I am leaning towards a B16B at this stage, I can get a long motor with no accessories, unopened, guaranteed, less than 80,000k's for $3500. Put that in and sell off what I have.
    Last edited by nickk; 09-08-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Why do you need to build the bottom end? Do you want more power than what the stock one offers? A reco'd block makes awesome power compared to your average 20-year-old thrashed one.

Why do you need a new clutch/flywheel? If they're on their way out you can replace them while the block's out, but otherwise it might just be wasted cash.

Why do you need new engine mounts? If your current ones are stuffed fair enough. You can get D series to B series mounts for like $400 from shops like Innovative or HASport.

VRS kit isn't a bad idea, but you may as well just get a new head gasket instead. A good quality VRS kit is $400-600.