Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra B20VTEC

Stock B20VTEC, danger inTorquing ARP ROD BOLTS and Revving to 8000rpm on stok block

Hey Guys just wondering are there any dangers of torqueing arp rod bolts to the stock rods?.
    Would they crush the bearing? Or is it pretty straightfoward?
    How many people have managed to do this without any issues?

and
    How much risk is there revving to 8000rpm on a completely stock bottom end of a B20B8, not even arp rod bolts?

Thanks guys

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    why you being a tightarse if your doing b20 ?

just buy the bolts!!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    I dont think bearing crush is dependant on the bolt you use. The bolt it self only transfers clamping/holding force.

As long as the torque is right, youll have the same bearing crush with any bolt, if its the same pitch, width, depth, length etc.

You should always consult the manual though. Some bolts may have different tolerances and may differ in torque settings.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Samm928 View Post
    why you being a tightarse if your doing b20 ?

just buy the bolts!!!!!
    Why is he being a tight ass? Care to clarify the NEED for ARP rod bolts? What's your experiance with standard rod bolts and installing ARP rod bolts without the correct procedure?

Don't tell me your getting your advice from another forum, please tell me it's educated and/or experimental advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OMG.JAI xD View Post
    I dont think bearing crush is dependant on the bolt you use. The bolt it self only transfers clamping/holding force.

As long as the torque is right, youll have the same bearing crush with any bolt, if its the same pitch, width, depth, length etc.

You should always consult the manual though. Some bolts may have different tolerances and may differ in torque settings.
    Good theory but you contradict yourself here. The bolt transfers the clamping and holding force, true. Yet you should know that ARP bolts require more torque, what's this do to the caps? It's stressing them ever so slightly. Ever heard of the term "out of round" on the big ends?

OK lads,

We know from our primitive instinct that a circle is one of the strongest shapes known to us, we try compress a circle shape, and it resists if being supported well, otherwise it will bow out and become an elipse. Lets say you get your ring, the type you wear on your finger, you try squeeze it. What happens? **** nothing. You put it in a vice, what happens? It becomes elongated in the perpendicular direction of the force, in otherwords, an elipse out the sides of no load. If you were to support the ring while in the vice so that it can't move, and apply the force, what happens? It will try buckle, yes? We just proved that the shape failed and bowed out the sides, so why won't the ring deform in another way?

That is exactly what's happening when you install ARP rod bolts into a standard rod, maybe you get lucky and you won't need to close and hone the big ends, sure, plenty of people do it, but plenty of people don't service cars, sit on the limiter all day, don't warm their cars up, yadadyadad. Alot of other people will have another opinion on installing rod bolts too from their experiance, but it's not the right way to do things.

If you want to uprate the rod bolts, pull the rod out, torque it to spec and perform the required machining, if any.
    Last edited by Chr1s; 08-08-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: added additional quote

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    If you want to uprate the rod bolts, pull the rod out, torque it to spec and perform the required machining, if any.
    This is the correct way to do things. you may or may not need to close & hone the rods.
    (The risk of change is low due to the similar torque specs)
    But you should always double check your work.
    If you don't, you won't know until thing go pear shaped later on which will likley be an expensive mistake.

FWIW, Close & hone of the rods is a basic machining (low cost) process that 99% of machine shops are well versed in.
    So if you change the bolts, (it's been said before) do it once & do it right.
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    Why is he being a tight ass? Care to clarify the NEED for ARP rod bolts? What's your experiance with standard rod bolts and installing ARP rod bolts without the correct procedure?

Don't tell me your getting your advice from another forum, please tell me it's educated and/or experimental advice.

Good theory but you contradict yourself here. The bolt transfers the clamping and holding force, true. Yet you should know that ARP bolts require more torque, what's this do to the caps? It's stressing them ever so slightly. Ever heard of the term "out of round" on the big ends?

OK lads,

We know from our primitive instinct that a circle is one of the strongest shapes known to us, we try compress a circle shape, and it resists if being supported well, otherwise it will bow out and become an elipse. Lets say you get your ring, the type you wear on your finger, you try squeeze it. What happens? **** nothing. You put it in a vice, what happens? It becomes elongated in the perpendicular direction of the force, in otherwords, an elipse out the sides of no load. If you were to support the ring while in the vice so that it can't move, and apply the force, what happens? It will try buckle, yes? We just proved that the shape failed and bowed out the sides, so why won't the ring deform in another way?

That is exactly what's happening when you install ARP rod bolts into a standard rod, maybe you get lucky and you won't need to close and hone the big ends, sure, plenty of people do it, but plenty of people don't service cars, sit on the limiter all day, don't warm their cars up, yadadyadad. Alot of other people will have another opinion on installing rod bolts too from their experiance, but it's not the right way to do things.

relax yourself puppy.

"do it once, do it right"

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Samm928 View Post
    relax yourself puppy.

"do it once, do it right"
    Relax myself? In what way?

I asked you a question, don't be a politician and reply with another general statement or question. People want answers.

Can you explain to me how you stumbled across "do it once, do it right?" - you clearly have experiance in this field, especially when it comes to rod bolt selection and what type to use.

I'm seriously interested. If you don't know, or don't know how to explain it, just say so. Plenty of people on here are curious too. Even the OP.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Tried to PM you Sam

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    i dont think the engine will last long revving to 8000rpm on the stock D series rod bolts, which many many people have said they are the main weakness of the revability of the stock b20 bottom end.

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    he may be revving to 8000. but depends on how constantly he does it.

oneor twice a day ok.

but at times with your usual 8000rpm rev especially with hondas. you want it to go harder than 8000.

i personally was thinking about doing b20 until i found alot of cooling issues with the b20.

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    with a proper breather system setup cooling should be fine

like sam said one small overrev like flatshifting , very very dangerous