Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Respraying

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Yeah to get best results you will want to bake it if you are going to play with pearls. You can probably get pearls in acrylics and do it at home, I'm not too sure.

The OEM captiva blue has a silver pearl in it, and I got that in Acrylic, so maybe you can, but it wouldn't be as good as you think, and if you haven't tryed it before, I wouldn't be trying to paint pearl straight away, it consists of different mixing ratios that I'm not too fond of.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG4
    i was thinking cos its pearl i should get the pros to do it...i'd sand it and prime it all myself...then all they have to do is spray and bake =) then it will be cheaper!

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Yeah it will be cheaper to prep it yourself

Gluck and show us some pics when your done

i primed my lip with plastic primer, was clear not grey so i decided to change to the grey primer just to be safe since the guides use that.
    i sanded off what primer i could but i dont think i did good enough cos i sprayed primer (grey one) and i can see cracks. would the original primer be causing this? or something else?

+ could i have just used paint stripper to get the original primer off or....? thanks in advance

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    DO NOT USE PAINT STRIPER ON PLASTIC!

What grit are you using ?

Can you show pictures ?

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol/cbr250r
    Quote Originally Posted by dvsx View Post
    i primed my lip with plastic primer, was clear not grey so i decided to change to the grey primer just to be safe since the guides use that.
    i sanded off what primer i could but i dont think i did good enough cos i sprayed primer (grey one) and i can see cracks. would the original primer be causing this? or something else?

+ could i have just used paint stripper to get the original primer off or....? thanks in advance
    hey mate if the lip had no repairs and new like u would use the plastic primer than paint straight on it with no rubbing need plastic primer works as an adhesive.
    dont not paint strip the lip unless u pick up some plastic bar paint stripper but still isnt all that eats into the plastic still....

if i was u just take it to a panel beater or spray painter to do it, its only a lip wouldnt cost much at all to get done

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    I wouldn't use paint stripper on plastic ANYTHING.

Member Array
    Car:
    Isabel
    Quote Originally Posted by tiksie View Post
    I wouldn't use paint stripper on plastic ANYTHING.
    +1
    Mate if you're keen take your time sanding it, when its sanded properly, after you apply the primer evenly it should be fine..
    If you still have trouble then take it to the pros lol
    Samm928: I must say your the biggest noob kid ever.
    that is all.

WTFPWNED
    Secretly trying to make my daily into a warrior without my missus knowing...

Quote Originally Posted by tiksie View Post
    DO NOT USE PAINT STRIPER ON PLASTIC!

What grit are you using ?

Can you show pictures ?
    phew lucky i didnt lol i used 240grit i think it was to sand off the original primer

heres a pic if u can see the cracks. ive just primed it, havent begun sanding yet with 800grit as mentioned in your DIY

and i lied, im painting rear pods and side skirts. figured it would blend in ok if i dont do a great job cos my cars black anyway lol

Last edited by dvsx; 01-09-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    It seems you haven't sanded it properly man.

It's just a paint crack, under the layer.

Just keep sanding it until you get it matte, after that re-apply primer (grey primer).

do some paints require certain colour base colour? i have a dc4 and i just sanded off the clear coat and roughed up the paint coat abit and sprayed back on and the colour is way darker. its that midnight purple / blackcurrent colour

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    You just painted the exact same colour ?

If you resprayed the whole car, it's normal that it will be darker as your OEM paint will fade from time and look lighter.