Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Respraying

yeah painted exact same colour on quater pannel and bumper, some asian guy told me that it needs a white base to reflect the colour properly or something. btw i cant tell if its the same colour until i put the clear coat on.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    post up some pics
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    well done... looks awesome..
    question though... how is the acrylic paint holding up over time? ive been reading it doesnt last too long...
    not sure how true it is though..

any without clear coat.. doesnt it mean that everytime u polish, you are essentially removing paint and not clear?
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    R34 GTT
    Holy fcuk that's good y don't you start doing if for ppl I know a few mates that have have some panels that could do with a good respray
    106.3 Kw Atw
    Boostech Performance

Photos are down

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Yeah my photobucket limit is gone skes lol

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5, AE86
    I was thinking of using an air compressor like you did for the red EG. Any recommendations on what to get? Air Compressors, guns and what not. I'm planning to do my fenders first as they are shot and even a muck up on them is better then present.
    R.dot

Quote Originally Posted by tiksie View Post
    You just painted the exact same colour ?

If you resprayed the whole car, it's normal that it will be darker as your OEM paint will fade from time and look lighter.
    Hence why alot of people are stupid when there car goes for a repair but only a fender and bonnet gets fixed and they notice the difference in colour.. Kinda can't blame the shop because Solid Paints fade easily and need lots of care to prevent them while paints with Clear don't fade as easily....

To prevent fading on Solid Based paints, regular polish and wax is required weekly especially cause of the harsh aussie sun...

Thought i should add that....
    BTW if your spraying Milano Red... Recommended that you don't use clear as solid paints & clear don't work the best...... Don't turn out as great...

Hope this helps you out dude for your article as i've been told this by many detailers.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Hey WATAJK,

It's not exactly a good idea to respray a whole car and not clear coat it.

I clear coated my red EG, and it looked better than the bare paint..More shiney and what not.

If you don't clear coat it, it won't be long until it starts to fade.

So in regards "It doesn't turn out as great" That's right; because it turns out MUCH better

Whoever told you that solid paints (Assuming that you mean Acrylic) don't work great with clears, they obviously haven't heard of "Acrylic Clear" or as they would say, Solid Clear.

Quote Originally Posted by tiksie View Post
    Hey WATAJK,

It's not exactly a good idea to respray a whole car and not clear coat it.

I clear coated my red EG, and it looked better than the bare paint..More shiney and what not.

If you don't clear coat it, it won't be long until it starts to fade.

So in regards "It doesn't turn out as great" That's right; because it turns out MUCH better

Whoever told you that solid paints (Assuming that you mean Acrylic) don't work great with clears, they obviously haven't heard of "Acrylic Clear" or as they would say, Solid Clear.
    Im not doubting you at all dude but from what panel shops have told me when i went through the process of getting my car resprayed in Milano Red.. This is what i was told...
    Solid base paints fade as i said and this is the downside, ask any panel shop if you don't believe me dude

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol/cbr250r
    WATAJK you are talking about 2pac paint as in a solid means you spray the colour and its shiny already and the other system is clear over base which is better as you said last longer when applied properly.
    with acrylic paint system which has been used by tiksie, its a clear over base system as well just does not last as long these days because they dont make acrylic paints as good as they used to on the old school cars. just have to buff it after painting and comes up with a reall good finsh but always have to polish it to give it depth or it will just go to shit!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    WATAJK,

All good man, I'm not doubting you either, just everyone has different theories that's all - I would rather take advice from my teacher that taught me how to spray who taught spraying for 35+ years.

That's right sxmachine, you hit the nail on the head But acrylic doesn't fade as fast as some people say it does.. You just have to put more maintenance into it - But ofcourse; go with 2pak if you can, you can get much much better results if applied correctly and in the right environment.. I just wish I had access to an oven