Car:
    EG+CL9
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    MY12 CU2 Auto
    I have made some inquiries with my dealer regarding whether FEO Sythetic is grade III, IV or V. He could not give me an immediate answer, but got back to me a few hours later stating that it is grade III.....so I will stick with mobile 1.

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 1 CRV, Gen 3 CRV
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode View Post
    Interesting.

I actually just found the following on the Honda offers website:
    Upgrade to FEO ULTRA Fully Synthetic and you could win a $100 Fuel Card

weee! Got one of those fuel cards in the mail today

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    I asked my local honda about it when i went to get an oil filter and they have been told its only for 2000 and onwards vehicles.

And seeing as its a group 3 oil its just another overpriced Honda product

Edge 5W30 is essentially the same thing but cheaper. Nearly $70 for Ultra... Pft

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    BB6 ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by buddah51au View Post
    I have made some inquiries with my dealer regarding whether FEO Sythetic is grade III, IV or V. He could not give me an immediate answer, but got back to me a few hours later stating that it is grade III.....so I will stick with mobile 1.
    Unfortunately Mobil 1 is a Group III as well. I hope you're getting it on sale otherwise you're paying $100 for a overrated Group III. . Mobil 1 in Australia hasn't been Group IV for a couple of years!

Analysis Test Proven and My Personal Fav's (Which of course reflect analysis', lol):
    Track: AMSOIL Race Oil (Group IV) OR Motul 300V/Redline/Royal Purple (Group V)
    Spirited Daily: AMSOIL PAO (Group IV)
    Daily/Runabout: FEO/Castrol Edge (Group II/Group III)

Anyone confirmed that the FEO Ultra is Group III. It's highly likely due to the price, I doubt Honda would sell a Group IV at that price. Not to mention that there are not many manufacturers that produce Group IV/V anymore. Not mass marketed ones anyway. Besides maybe Motul 300V (Group V).
    AMSOIL 10w30/Ea013 @ 5k OCI's, AMSOIL MTF Synchromesh, RE002's @ F 40/R 38 PSI; 9.23L/100kms. Suburban(Minimal Freeway).

Self Tuned (Road). Dyno soon.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by Phased View Post
    Unfortunately Mobil 1 is a Group III as well. I hope you're getting it on sale otherwise you're paying $100 for a overrated Group III. . Mobil 1 in Australia hasn't been Group IV for a couple of years!

Analysis Test Proven and My Personal Fav's (Which of course reflect analysis', lol):
    Track: AMSOIL Race Oil (Group IV) OR Motul 300V/Redline/Royal Purple (Group V)
    Spirited Daily: AMSOIL PAO (Group IV)
    Daily/Runabout: FEO/Castrol Edge (Group II/Group III)

Anyone confirmed that the FEO Ultra is Group III. It's highly likely due to the price, I doubt Honda would sell a Group IV at that price. Not to mention that there are not many manufacturers that produce Group IV/V anymore. Not mass marketed ones anyway. Besides maybe Motul 300V (Group V).
    I don't think Castrol (if they are the producer) produces 5w30 in using group IV base.
    The only Castrol edge sport product that uses group IV are 0W/40 & 10W/60, rest are group III based

The wording "Fully Synthetic" no longer means anything post 1999 "Mobil vs Castrol" court case when the knucklehead judge ruled in favor of Castrol (hence why I dislike Castrol with a passion, they ruined everything)
    So when I saw the word "Fully Synthetic" and then a Castrol star on the cap? NO chance in hell I'm gonna use that.

I HIGHLY doubt the Honda 'ultra' is group 4.
    unfortunately Mobil 1 is a Group III as well.
    Just like The Castrol Edge, not ALL Mobil 1 are group III, but unlike Castrol, Mobile don't use all group III or group IV in their oils... At lease in USA and Europe
    Mobil 1 (normal) is mostly group III base (except Mobil one "gold" 0w-40), Mobil 1 Extended Performance (US only product) is a mix of Group III and Group IV (I remembered it's more group IV than group III due to stability over longer term...) from an analysis I saw some time back.
    I'm 90% sure Mobil 1 'gold' 0-w40 is group IV however

I reckon this whole "Honda researched" oil is just marketing gimmick.
    A liquid engineering lab costs billions of dollars, whats the chance Honda actually builds such a lab, just to design oil for a few types of vehicle and boats? When they cant even sustain a F1 team?

I reckon Honda sub-contracts the oil design/production to Castrol (ie: Honda Rep to Castrol rep: "Here's the spec sheet from our R&D, go make it... or if it's similar to your Castrol edge... just put it in a different bottle.").

I looked into Honda Corporation and all their business lines and all the research and development info, no where does it say they have anything to do with petroleum engineering.
    Just think about it, if Honda really has it's "Own" lab... won't they market to death about it?
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    BB6 ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    I don't think Castrol (if they are the producer) produces 5w30 in using group IV base.
    The only Castrol edge sport product that uses group IV are 0W/40 & 10W/60, rest are group III based
    I HIGHLY doubt the Honda 'ultra' is group 4.
    I'm not sure If I'm picking up your tone incorrectly here... but I never once said that the FEO Ultra was a Group IV... I actually stated that it was very unlikely. I just asked if anyone could confirm it, nor did I state Castrol was the producer... CALTEX is the producer. Hence the Star...

Also... No one said anything about Honda having their own "liquid engineering lab" nor did Honda themselves say it. Of course that is how Honda Oils would be developed. Honda would give them a specification sheet with acceptable variances in relation to Kinematic Viscosity, Viscosity Index, Base Number and Volatility etc. and of course that it would be based on a Group III. Then they would use their own run of the mill base stock. The main advantage is that the viscosities etc. will always suit that recommended by Honda themselves, even if it isn't completely "engineered" by Honda.

I'm 90% sure Mobil 1 'gold' 0-w40 is group IV however
    You shouldn't be 90% sure that Mobil 0w40 is a Group IV you should be 100% sure. Any 0 weight oil MUST contain a majority of Group IV base stock otherwise it won't meet SAE standards for Film Strength, Volatility etc. Also from what I heard it's almost impossible to get a 0 weight oil from Dino oil without extensive refining/additives which in the end make it cheaper to use a Group IV base stock.

not ALL Mobil 1 are group III
    This is of course true, the reason why I stated he is almost paying $100 for a group III as I'm unaware of a Honda Engine (unless internally built/track use) would use a 0w40 oil. Unless you had a built engine that required a 40 weight and you use a 0w weight because you live in a cold climate (ie. below freezing point). Considering in Australia none of our major/populated cities have "cold climates", I assumed he was referring to the 5w30, which is based on Group III.
    AMSOIL 10w30/Ea013 @ 5k OCI's, AMSOIL MTF Synchromesh, RE002's @ F 40/R 38 PSI; 9.23L/100kms. Suburban(Minimal Freeway).

Self Tuned (Road). Dyno soon.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by Phased View Post
    I'm not sure If I'm picking up your tone incorrectly here... but I never once said that the FEO Ultra was a Group IV... I actually stated that it was very unlikely. I just asked if anyone could confirm it, nor did I state Castrol was the producer... CALTEX is the producer. Hence the Star...
    Oops. I mis read your quote about the start.... my bad.
    I think we're in agreement most of the way, except I'm more certain it wont be a group iv

No one on the forum said anything about the liquid engineering lab, which is good, same cant be said about the dealers who's trying to shove this oil down my throat when I'm there getting some brake fluid.

Now i read my post again I did sound pretty pissed off... sorry. Just getting pretty frustrated with all the marketing companies throw around. Back in the old days, Synthetic means synthetic... sigh.

This is of course true, the reason why I stated he is almost paying $100 for a group III as I'm unaware of a Honda Engine (unless internally built/track use) would use a 0w40 oil. Unless you had a built engine that required a 40 weight and you use a 0w weight because you live in a cold climate (ie. below freezing point). Considering in Australia none of our major/populated cities have "cold climates", I assumed he was referring to the 5w30, which is based on Group III.
    Funny enough i was looking at the Honda manual, and it can actually take the 0w40, probably for the european and JDM market where it gets real cold.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 30-01-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Whats wrong with Homebrand oil?
    I prefer canola over olive, its a bit cheaper.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    I know this topic is abit old,but i went down to Honda today to get a few spare parts, i saw the feo ultra fully synthetic engine oil poster up on the wall, so i asked the guy how much a bottle is, he told me around the $57 mark.

Im thinking about getting a bottle and trying it on my next service for my dc2r has any1 had any experiences with this oil yet?
    Last edited by dc2r-man; 08-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by dc2r-man View Post
    I know this topic is abit old,but i went down to Honda today to get a few spare parts, i saw the feo ultra fully synthetic engine oil poster up on the wall, so i asked the guy how much a bottle is, he told me around the $57 mark.

Im thinking about getting a bottle and trying it on my next service for my dc2r has any1 had any experiences with this oil yet?
    Give it a try and let us know :-P

I use it on my 2000 DC2R and I have done for the last 10,000Klm, I love it, but find it kind of pricey at $70 for 5L at Trivett Blacktown, but my car is using a lot due to worn rings and valve stem seals, so am going to change back to thicker oil until I can do something about it, I currently lose around 500-700ml per 1000klm.. I found that the engine revved a bit easier after changing to this oil, but may have been a placebo effect, don't know, too much of a Honda fan hahaha
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.