Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96' Civic EK1 -

My 1996 Ek1 Engine Rebuild documentation.

Hey guys, just posting up some of the documentation of my D16Y4 rebuild.

The whole process took about 2 and a half weeks to get the motor running again as it took about 10 days to get the boss pipe which connects the water pump to the thermostat up. The job was mostly an DIY job (note im only 19 this year ;P) The job of taking the motor out was done at Racing Project (mitcham, victoria)

Reason of rebuild: Engine was drinking engine oil but there were no traces leakage as well as engine wasn't running as smooth as it should of been along with the need of a new clutch kit.

work done: Port and Polish done to the head, Block was sent out for a light hone as there were hairline scratches down the bore, New Rings and conrod bearings, thrust bearing, all crank bearings and big end bearings were fine.

Pictures are shown below on chronological order, enjoy.

First comes first, pics of the car ;D

White Ek1 sedan, Buddy Club wheels, Xforce twin loop, Phillips 6k Hid's.

Air Con compressor is taken off the engine so it stays with the car, proves to be a little bit more work but saves the effort for regas and other contaminants entering the system, hard to see in this picture but wiring loom to ecu has been pulled out and follows the motor alone.

Broken most of the linkage of the motor being held onto the chassis

sorry for the big jump in process, i didnt manage to take a photo of the motor on the engine crane with the tranny still attached but still works out, D16Y4, such an tiney motor~

Motors all completely stripped apart, all cams, cranks, pistons all out.. oh boy look at that mess!

Found the cause of the dissapearing oil, it was from the valve stem seals exhaust side leaking at a slow rate. all that black stuff took about 15mins each piston to remove. good old wire brush and part washer fluids.

Port and polish.

Cnc Mill'd the intake butterfly inlet an extra mm, hoping prevent restriction from the intake.

Engine internals all laid out and ready to be assembled ;D

4 pistons are in, (D series drivers, note how thin the conrods are) weighed the pistons and conrod's without the bearings in are about 669g each. all within an 1g tolerance.

Crank is back in, checking sure the surface is clean then the head is going back on

Sorry for the big jump guys, Dad put most of the motor back together whilst i had uni

forklift'in the motor back into the car as dad said its an easier job.

Thank you for your time, hope you enjoyed reading about this process almost as much as i was working on the car.
    Last edited by D16EK1; 28-08-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    nice write up, judging how thin those con rods are, u see why d-series cant handle much power, lol, its great that u got access to alot of machines most of us cant

Btw racing project i highly rate, ill be doin most of my work there in the near future, the guys a top bloke, swapped out my suspension very quick and professional, if ur dads the owner of racing project you got a head start from everyone, lol

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    all that for a d16y4.
    most people would say why waste ye time
    but me. props to you man no joke.
    that is good work! id love to see/hear how this car will go afterwards in comparison to the way it was before
    im in melb as well gotta see this!

p.s lol @ forklift acting as a engine crane haha

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    Clean looking car mate, and a very interesting read.

You see a lot of stuff like this happening to B-Series engines, but very little of the D-Series.
    It is good to see the guts of an engine the same as my own.

Ps. You are lucky to have all of that equipment at your disposal. Haha.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Nice work.

How does the engine feel mate?

I thought porting & polishing intake/exhaust of a D16 would reduce your low-end power without other mods to compensate?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96' Civic EK1 -
    Engine now feels alot smoother than before, feels its pulling a bit more power than before.

as for port and polish, there is slight low end increase but u can definatly feel its alot better in the high rpm

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Congratulations on putting the time and effort, as well as money, into this. Power isn't everything and its refreshing to see you were prepared to go "against the trend" and clean up your d-series. Why chuck something just to follow the crowd. As you say, you now have a nice setup that will go strong for a few more years (at least till you finish uni and can afford a B18C right?). Good luck, and a very clean EK.

Peter
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Just came across this thread and yes, what a great write up - and really interesting to see the internals of the same engine and spec car I have as you!

And I think you have the same rear lip as my EK1 sedan too! I think our cars as almost twins!
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34