Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EU3, FN2R, S2K

Thumbs up Making your sun burnt door trims look new again for under 15bucks. With Pictures!

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To make your door trims along the window looking new again, as most of the time the door trims just get sun burnt and it crinkles up with white cracks making your car look very untidy and ugly.

Required:
    - I just used Kiwi Leather instant wax shine in black because i wasn't bothered to go to my local auto store to by forever black polish for cars. This should set you back about no more then 10 bucks from your local supermarket store.

- clean cloth to clean the door trims

- masking tape to mask up the areas that may be leaked onto the paint. No more then 5 bucks.

Steps:

1. Mask up all areas carefully that may get some of the new black shine/paint/wax or whatever you want to call it leaked onto. i.e your doors so it won't get leaked onto the paint which may leave some very untidy and ugly stains on it. I gave mine 2 lines of masking tape along the doors just to be on the safe side.

2. Clean up the door trims with a damp cloth taking off any dirt that may be on them, as this may affect the quality of the new paint on the door trims.

3. Start giving the trims a first layer of black to it. Carefully stroking it along side and not allowing any leaks to be on the trims.

4. Allow to drive for 3-5 mins and give it a second coat. Depending on how badly burnt your door trims are you my need to give it several coats.

5. Allow the final coat to dry for about 10 minutes. And then give the trims a quick wipe down with a damp cloth.

6. Peel off the masking tape and BAME its looking new again (Y). Making your car look a lot neater and better.

Before:

After:

Other comment: Took me about half an hour to do everything.

and now give me rep points! LOL!
    Mr.PT

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    'auto glym bumper care' does the same thing =)
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    EU3, FN2R, S2K
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
    'auto glym bumper care' does the same thing =)
    yer thers a few products that do the same thing lol i just wasnt bothered to go to the auto store
    Mr.PT

if u want a better job sand down all the black paint then apply it that way u get the smoothness :P
    (dno if im right)

good write up
    now MR.PT can i come to ur house and borrow ur kiwi instant wax shine :P

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    dnt shoe shines stains/dissolve/drip after contact with water?
    凸-_-凸

Member Array
    Car:
    EU3, FN2R, S2K
    Quote Originally Posted by m3ntAL_l2 View Post
    dnt shoe shines stains/dissolve/drip after contact with water?
    well i havent had any problems yet so i think its fine
    Mr.PT

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    an epic product to use is called 'forever black' you can get it from autbarn and its cheap. works by staining the plastic with a dye that was used to make them black in the first place. you have to tape up your doors around the place ur blacking as it will stain ur clear coat if it drips down (can wash it off tho but will take a while)

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>DC2R+CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by greek_rambos2k View Post
    an epic product to use is called 'forever black' you can get it from autbarn and its cheap. works by staining the plastic with a dye that was used to make them black in the first place. you have to tape up your doors around the place ur blacking as it will stain ur clear coat if it drips down (can wash it off tho but will take a while)
    Yeah forever black is a good product to use, had some actually drip down on my car, lets just say coulda buffed half the car in the time it took me to take it off :P lol good DIY though
    JDM is Best

Good work, looks good!

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    would this also work on really faded door protectors?
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    EU3, FN2R, S2K
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    would this also work on really faded door protectors?
    what door protectors?
    im pretty sure it would still work just use 'forever black'.
    Mr.PT

Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5
    i think this stuff bleeds in the rain,
    but since you are basically putting it into the cracks and wiping excess away,
    u may not realise the bleeding process cos there isnt that much shoe wax on + ur car is black also

i rekon u could do like a clear coat or something to preserve it? idk
    good idea though