Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2000 S2000 and 94 prelude

White smoke after installing K&N intake

So last night I installed my new K&N intake system. I took my time with it, making sure I did everything exactly as the instructions said to. I checked, rechecked and tripple checked to make sure I had done everything exactly as I was supposed to. When I started the engine up it seemed to be working fine. no air leaks or anything. But I noticed a reasonable ammount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I took it for a 10-15 min drive (mainly due to the fact I had to pick my little brother up and had no other option but to drive my car) and it drove perfectly fine, if anything I did feel as if I had slightly more throttle response, but this could just be due to the fact my OEM air filter was due to be changed so the engine was happily guzzling more air without having any dust or anything in the filter. Their was no overheating or anything either. But when I got home I was still seeing this white smoke coming from the exhaust. It seems to be more presant at idle than when the engine is being revved.

My first thought is that it could be something to do with burning coolant which is supposed to cause white smoke? When I disconnected the coolant hose it did splatter out a little bit (it got me right in the eye! and in the mouth a little too lol) but I didnt notice it go anywhere near the throttle body or anywhere it shouldnt be and I wiped up what excess I could see on the engine bay. So I cant understand how coolant could be going anywhere that its not supposed to just from installing this intake.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this white smoke?

Thanks heaps

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    is it idling rough at all?

Member Array
    Car:
    No not at all, its idling completely normal. just the same as it was before. The only difference is theirs more smoke than their was before and its very vapor like

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    What time of the day did you drive it

Member Array
    Car:
    I drove it last night, and then again today briefly to see if their was any change and it was the same. At first I thought/hoped it could be frost from the cold but the exhaust fumes smell too strong for that to be the case

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    I drove it last night, and then again today briefly to see if their was any change and it was the same. At first I thought/hoped it could be frost from the cold but the exhaust fumes smell too strong for that to be the case
    hmm sounds like the car is sucking up too much air,

do you have a vtec controller or something? from my understanding i think you need a tune for your air ratio. can someone confirm?

Member Array
    Car:
    Nah, dont have a vtec controller. I havent heard anything about needing a tune for the air ratio? but I guess it could be worth looking into. Im sure somebody else on these boards has installed one of these, so somebody should know?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    it will figure it out itself, if you want to hurry it along, reset the ecu.

S2Krazy Array
    ^Beat me to it. +2 rep for you.

Reset your ECU.

If that fails, and the problem persists let us know.
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

Member Array
    Car:
    I think you guys hit the nail on the head with resetting the ecu. I took everything apart again and reconnected it all and everything looked fine. Then I disconnected the ecu fuse and let it sit for a little while and then started it back up again and the car seems fine now. I guess the ecu just had to readjust to the engines new environment. Thanks for the help guys

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    I think you guys hit the nail on the head with resetting the ecu. I took everything apart again and reconnected it all and everything looked fine. Then I disconnected the ecu fuse and let it sit for a little while and then started it back up again and the car seems fine now. I guess the ecu just had to readjust to the engines new environment. Thanks for the help guys
    thats good to hear jamie

Member Array
    Car:
    2001 honda s2000 import
    good news. so you like the intake? if i get one think it would be this one, but am a suckker for stock as honda intended lol