Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5

Need an Opinion on Coilover sleeves

I know there has been heaps and heaps of sussy talk no this forum but it can be hard to find exactly what your after so hear goes.

I'm looking to get a set of skunk 2 sports shocks (from JDM yard) and i want to know the best coilover sleeves to get with them. it's for my daily, but i want to be able to adjust the ride height, and i don't want to risk getting springs and being unhappy with them when they sag. And i'll be honest i don't have the cash for a full coilover kit nor do i think i need it. looking for comfortable and fairly low

would really appreciate some help because tbh i'm sick of looking at my ek and wondering whether its a 4wd or not

Member Array
    Car:
    Lil' 4 cylinder
    Some reputable brands I know are Omni and Ground Control (you can do your research on prices). In the end I reckon these will cost you around the $1k margin (depending on your sources). Fork out a bit more and you can have a brand new set of coilovers.

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    Thanks for your reply mate

i just had a quick look at some tein super street coilovers, they're pretty good for street use aren't they? i had it in my head that they were way out of my price range but maybe they aren't
    Would they be better for what i want than a shock+coil sleeve combo?

There are way too many choices for this, i cant even decide on a chocolate bar when i go to the supermarket let alone choose what suspension i want lol

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    btw if i did buy these sports shocks : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-10)-*JDMyard*

and for example these ground control sleeves : http://www.autocarparts.com/part/list/408/

would that be all i would need to replace my stock suspension and also lower the car? or would i need some other sort of mounting or bushes so it fitted and worked correctly

please excuse my noobyness :P i'm still learning this stuff

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    IMO for street use buy the Skunk2 Pro S.

I use the Pro S on my EG sedan rears and at the front I have Fulcrum coils with 10kg Vision springs. Goes well

Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    wt's yr budget anyway?

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    i was trying to keep within $1000 but it depends on what i'm looking at. if i can justify it i might spend more. i think i've done well to get away from bying just King springs on stock shocks lol which was what the guy at Autobarn said to do, then i joined this forum and realized there are many better options.

dougie_504: i looked up those coilovers and found a lot of people complaining about them being to hard, yours are in the back so wouldn't affect you as much but if i had them all round from what i've read they would be to stiff for what i'm after. thanks for your help anyway mate

Anyone have any idea what Ground Control sleeves would be like on the skunk 2 shocks? and/or where i can purchase them from (USA i'm guessing?)

Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    look around for 2nd hand tein super street, not too stiff, pretty comfy for street use

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    how much would a new set of those set me back?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_Striker View Post
    i was trying to keep within $1000 but it depends on what i'm looking at. if i can justify it i might spend more. i think i've done well to get away from bying just King springs on stock shocks lol which was what the guy at Autobarn said to do, then i joined this forum and realized there are many better options.

dougie_504: i looked up those coilovers and found a lot of people complaining about them being to hard, yours are in the back so wouldn't affect you as much but if i had them all round from what i've read they would be to stiff for what i'm after. thanks for your help anyway mate

Anyone have any idea what Ground Control sleeves would be like on the skunk 2 shocks? and/or where i can purchase them from (USA i'm guessing?)

They're 6kg at the back. OEM is something like 4kg? So you might have trouble if you want something stiffer than stock but not too stiff as I don't believe anybody makes a 5kg spring rate.

My fronts are 10kg Vision springs. I feel the 'stiffness' a lot more at the back than the front when I hit bumps or take corners.

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    oh ok i see what you mean. maybe i should go with them lol i really don't know what to do. I still think i'd rather a shock + spring/coil sleeve kit. no offense to you or anything, i just don't want to go to far with this, it's mainly to adjust the height and be comfortable. i'm not really after anything overly race orientated if you get what i mean.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Sure I understand what you mean mate! That's why I bought my coilovers! I wanted something to adjust the height and still be comfortable, but after a while I made them stiffer because it's more fun lol.

If you get some coilovers you know you're getting good quality items.

Buying brand new shocks, putting sleeves on them and then putting on springs is fine, but it's a bit of hassle and for me (I'm no expert) I don't know how reliable their quality will be. And with suspension you want to be sure you're getting something worth it's salt because it's essential for the safety and performance of your car.

A coilover is essentially a shock/spring combo sold as a single item by a company, there's not all that much difference except that they might be height/damper adjustable.