Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    White '99 EM1

Need some help on Shocks + springs for EM1

Hey guys,

so within the next 6weeks i want to lower my car + improve its handling.
    Now i know everyone will go COILOVERS COILOVERS COILOVERS!! but its about 1.3k for them plus every 10-12 000km they need revalving and that costs about $300.
    Also, i wont be racing/tracking the car so handling isnt a huge issue

So ive decided that a good pair of shocks + springs will be adequate for my needs of good handling + stance

Ive been told Koni Yellow shocks and king spring lows go together but im a bit of a novice on the suspension area.
    Could anyone just throw out some good shock/spring combos for an EM1?
    looking to lower it about 1.5-2inches

cheers =)
    BIZ| SELLING MY EM1!!! LINK BELOW!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ferio 99
    koni shocks with eibach springs would be better

me personally i use koni yellows with custom Kmac springs.

its not that much cheaper than coilovers

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    you'll find that the height and damper adjustment which the coilovers come with will be quite handy. id recommend looking for a good 2nd hand set like a BC N+.
    ++ mrwillz fan club ++

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    White '99 EM1
    yeh thats another thing about coilovers which would be good... but if i get a good height with the shock/springs it'd be fine.
    ill look into the eibach... from memory i think they're only 1.3" drop???

what other combos?

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    question is, what's your budget?

better to get the best you can for your budget than just get anything that's 'cheap and reasonable'

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    White '99 EM1
    im willing to spend up to 1300 for a good shock/spring combo. and YES i know i can get coilovers for that price, but theres that revalving cost every 10-12000km which bugs me. im not tracking the car, so the springs and shocks will be fine

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    got koni yellos and super low king springs....works fine

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    i'm getting skunk2 sports shocks combined with either eibach pro kit or tien s tech springs depending on availibility. both springs give a 1.3 inch drop and combined with the skunk2 sports shocks i'll get about a 2 inch drop all round due to the shocks being a little bit shorter then OEM. the shocks are very easy on your pockets aswell all up i'll probly spend a bit over $1K including install which i think is pretty good

when i was first looking for a new shocks and springs, people would always suggest Koni Yellows combined with eibach for a slight drop and much better build quality and handling OR with some super low king springs for a lower drop but not that greater increase in handling (plus i've been told king springs might sag over time). Just work out whether you want much better handling or a large drop (or both with coils). btw even if you get kings you can still improve your handling with other parts aswell if your not happy with it when you put the springs in, either way though your handling will be improved because your lowering the centre of gravity of your car.

good luck with it mate

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    im willing to spend up to 1300 for a good shock/spring combo. and YES i know i can get coilovers for that price, but theres that revalving cost every 10-12000km which bugs me. im not tracking the car, so the springs and shocks will be fine
    had the coilovers in my car for a about 2 years and there wasnt any need to get them revalved as you mention.
    ++ mrwillz fan club ++

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    White '99 EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by philBo View Post
    had the coilovers in my car for a about 2 years and there wasnt any need to get them revalved as you mention.
    oh really? so the ride stiffness and everything was okay?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    White '99 EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_Striker View Post
    i'm getting skunk2 sports shocks combined with either eibach pro kit or tien s tech springs depending on availibility. both springs give a 1.3 inch drop and combined with the skunk2 sports shocks i'll get about a 2 inch drop all round due to the shocks being a little bit shorter then OEM. the shocks are very easy on your pockets aswell all up i'll probly spend a bit over $1K including install which i think is pretty good

when i was first looking for a new shocks and springs, people would always suggest Koni Yellows combined with eibach for a slight drop and much better build quality and handling OR with some super low king springs for a lower drop but not that greater increase in handling (plus i've been told king springs might sag over time). Just work out whether you want much better handling or a large drop (or both with coils). btw even if you get kings you can still improve your handling with other parts aswell if your not happy with it when you put the springs in, either way though your handling will be improved because your lowering the centre of gravity of your car.

good luck with it mate
    yeh im looking at either eibach pro kit or the tein S tech springs too.
    well reputed.
    cheers for that buddy!
    thx for the time taken out for that

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by philBo View Post
    +1
    A "coilover" as you call it is exactly the same as buying Koni yellows.
    The only difference is they are adjustable either in height and/or damper.

The design of a spring and shock combo and an adjustable shock kit is coilover.
    Spring and shock combo's use similar valving so any valving problems with adjustable coilovers are just as possible with any coilover set up.

The only difference I find between a race inspired adjustable coilover set up and a sports coilover set up is the springs.
    Adjustable coilovers have linear spring rates which are often higher than those in sports suspension set ups which use progressive spring rates.