Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries

Ozhonda Feature Member - Zco

Ozhonda Feature Member - zco
    Ozhonda Feature #10

[ Photography by Zco / rawr ]

For the latest feature, we thought we would bring you something slightly different. This time we're featuring a long time member of Ozhonda. Hello Zico!

Zco, you've been on Ozhonda since June 2004. What was the main reason you signed up?
    WOW, it's been that long ? I remember signing up because i kept on seeing my cousin Tony (user: luzinit) sign onto Ozhonda whenever he had access to a computer. He started modifying his EK4 and it seemed quite interesting how he paid a lot of attention to small details of the car. They weren't extremely expensive mods, we're talking about an EK9 grill, EK4 lip, and colour coded moulding.. But it really made his car look a lot 'neater'. Over time i got curious and started surfing Ozhonda more often, hence the signing up !

What sections of the site do you find most useful and what sections do you first check whenever you login?
    When i got hold of my first car, I started browsing the appearance section to check out other Honda enthusiasts cars and what they were doing to them! It was still a small community back then and I remember it was a huge milestone to hit 3,000 members .... look at us now !

So because of my cousin and his attention to small detail, it rubbed off on me and I started looking at Parts for Sale to score myself some neat parts ! Over the years, this led to a giant collection of parts, and the Parts For Sale section was the first section I always check multiple times a day LOL . Nowadays, the appearance section takes 1st preference, and then occasionally the traders section. I actually do a bit of blog work at www.JDMYard.com as well so I'm constantly in the trader section.

What was your first car, was it a Honda?
    I really didn't know much about cars when I was looking for my first car. I didn't even know what I liked, and what I didn't like ! I wasn't restricted to a non-turbo car as the laws weren't as strict at the time, but I really had no idea what I wanted to buy. It was basically whatever I could get with the money I had at the time. It took a few months of hard work and saving but I managed to save up for my first car!

I couldn't really give a damn what I bought, as long as I could get around ! My cousin suggested I just buy a Honda civic like him so I figured what the heck, might as well. I didn't even like the civic.. but I didn't really give a damn at that point. I was just excited to drive as all kids are! So I came across a Silver 1998 Honda Civic VTi-R (EK4), completely stock 110,000kms, I got a friend to come with me to look at the car and he had to drive it home as I didn't know how to drive manual lol

How many other Honda's have you had and will your next car be a Honda?
    I've had 4 cars, and they all have been 96-00 Honda Civic Hatchbacks ! I don't know what it is, but I guess it just grew on me and I never really ended up liking any other car as much as I liked the EK. So this is how my next few cars came about.

About 10months after owning the Silver Ek4, I realised that I eventually wanted to do a K swap. It was big money back then, and with the part time job, it wasn't going to happen. So I decided to sell up and buy a cheaper car. One that I could turn into my own personalised version of what was seen on www.honda-tech.com. I found a 1995 White Honda Civic EK Hatch CXi and I thought this would be a great base to start on. I never needed to fill up with premium fuel, or pay for full comprehensive insurance, and never needed to service or wash the car as I knew I was eventually going to replace the motor and go for a respray. Throughout the next 8 months, I had been scouring the internet for parts that gave a bit of character to the car.. Then a close friend of mine, Perry (whom is also on this forum) was going through some dramatic changes to his 2000 Honda Civic eventually had enough of it and I ended up buying his car.

You're known by some members of Ozhonda as the "Parts God". How did that name come about?
    Well this is news to me LOL Parts God ? I wouldn't go that far! A lot of inspiration from how we modify cars is from the guys in the USA, and of course, the Japanese. There are alot of quality parts that are produced by these international companies which all deserve to be used.

My first few modifications were replica parts. I didn't know any better, and my inexperience with parts led me to buying Rota Track R wheels. It was my 2nd modification after a set of TEIN HA Coilovers. I thought it added a nice touch to the car at the time, as I was "trying" to be like the guys in the USA.. My next and last fake modification stopped at a EK9 style grill. I had it from a trader on here, and when I had received it, I was in major disbelief. The fitment was okay, but the centre mesh section was a let down. It looked similar to an OEM EK9 grill but something didn't look right. This was the moment I realised my attention to detail was growing and I wasn't happy. I felt like I just wasted 100 bux and this served as a constant reminder as to why I never ever bought fake parts again.

So the years went by, where I consistently searched for parts EVERY single day, I had myself a nice collection of some of the rarest and desired for parts. There were countless times I'd sit at the computer going through 110+ pages of EK9 Parts on http://auctions.yahoo.co.jp LOL great assistance from Yonas at JDMYard, and a friend of mine Kiet who owned a importing business helped massively !

On the topic of parts there are a lot of replica parts out there on the market. Mainly because of the cost savings of buying replica versus the real item. What are your thoughts on purchasing replica items versus genuine items? Is it worth it ?
    We are all enthusiasts of different kinds, all from different backgrounds with different circumstances. Some have families to look after and mortgages to pay, and some just don't have the sufficient income for it.. These factors along with personal taste contribute to everyone's decision as to whether to buy real or fake parts. Most people couldn't give a damn about how the industry goes, but buying a replica part will damage the industry. The impact may not be large individually, but collectively, it all ends up damaging the industry one way or another.

My thoughts on fake vs real parts follow a few simple points.

• The cars you see on the front of Honda-tuning magazine, and the ones that make your jaws drop open for a few minutes don't consists of fake parts
    • Why would you want to use parts that make your car look like its falling apart for ? If you do, just buy a Nissan!
    • Quality speaks for itself...
    • And of course, the famous line.. Friends don't let friends roll on Rota's

When buying any parts (either second hand or new) what are some tips that you can give to others who might be in the same boat ? (i.e. research, local distributors, warranty, replica vs genuine etc.)

• I think the most important thing to remember when buying parts is to be smart about it. If you're going to buy from someone you've never met before, take measures to ensure you don't get scammed. There is a helpful sticky in the for sale section you guys can read. Don't limit yourselves to the forums either. I have found most of my parts from overseas and even at wreckers!
    • If you know what you're after, then don't give up on finding it.. Don't settle for second best because this will only lead to your dissatisfaction and the eventual sale of parts. Most of the time leading to a loss.
    • Good things come to those who wait. Don't you hate it when you buy something, and a better deal comes up the next week ? As I stated, Don't settle for second best !
    • When buying parts overseas, don't expect returns or warranties..
    • Do your research on parts ! Get it right the first time. I am a strong believer of doing it right the first time ! This will save you time, money and you will be happy regardless of the amount paid.
    • Sometimes if you cant be bothered waiting, then you gotta pay that extra bit more.. you gotta pay to play !

Are there any parts in particular that you prefer to purchase over others? (i.e.: cosmetic vs performance vs 'practical' etc.)
    This is all dependent on your overall goal of the car.. whether you want to just cruise comfortably, or you want a bit of power or want an all out show/track car.. Personally, I've played with Hondas for too long to realise that I can't have comfort and power in the one car. I'd have to have multiple cars, one purpose built track car, and another for a hardparker or cruiser approach. There's just too many good quality parts out there and they all cant be used on the one car !

Of all the parts you've ever bought over the years, What would be your favourite item?
    I'm sure I speak on behalf of most members that have seen all my parts! My prized possession would be my Limited Edition Nardi Steering wheel. It is designed by the Japanese race car driver Orido Manabu. Orido teamed up with Nardi to design this wheel, making only 500 units worldwide !

It is a 330mm Black Perforated Leather steering wheel, Red Stitching, Red Nardi Signature, and the Orido Style Logo at the top. It comes with two horn buttons, the standard Nardi horn and also the Orido Horn.

This, attached to my car via a 1 piece Billet Mugen Hub ! It was designed for race use only and was never sold commercially or distributed outside the Japanese market. Together, I think they would have to be my all time prized possession! I think my next favourite item would have to be my Vision Type DC mirrors. Both of these items I still hold onto, even though I no longer have a car (at the time of writing)

Apart from cars and Honda's in particular, you've also acquired an interest (and developed quite a talent) in photography. Has photography been something that you have always wanted to get into?
    You can blame Philip Nguyen for this one (pocketrocket). Phil has been a long time friend of mine, and is a very modest guy. I personally think his work is one of the best I've seen. I've always wanted my pictures to be somewhere near what he develops so I asked him for advice. He conveniently was looking for an upgrade in camera, so I managed to pick up his old gear, and which he kindly thought me to use ! With XMAS and my holiday just around the corner, I definitely needed something to do the job well.. Thanks Phil !

On one of your recent trip to Japan (the birthplace of Honda) you covered quite in depth your travels via Ozhonda. What was that like?
    A Life changing experience ! Up until that holiday, my head was only into cars, and cars only. I never knew what was really out there. My partner had constantly travelled and always bragged about travelling. But the KSwap was a higher priority at the time ha ha. Japan is a must visit country and I'm sure everyone who has visited Japan will agree with me. The best thing about Japan would have to be the food, and then followed by the people ! Everyone is just so friendly and helpful, and I must admit, it makes me feel s--- about our own country to know that we are so different to them.

If you could sum up in five (5) points the highlights of the trip from the perspective of a Honda enthusiast, what would they be?
    In the perspective of a Honda enthusiast, there's nothing to see. You don't see many Hondas. The majority of the cars that go around are people movers. If you're going to Japan purely for the Honda scene, I think you should save your money and mod your car lol Yes, visiting the Spoon TypeOne workshop was great, but it was no where near as exciting as the life I lived there for those 15 days !

Would you go back or recommend others visit Japan? Why?
    HIGHLY recommended to go there ! The culture is awesome, the people are friendly, and you feel very welcomed everywhere you go ! The food is great, and so are the ladies LOL What more could you want ? One piece of advice though, if you're going to go to Japan, be prepared to be giving up beef for most of your trip !

Where do you see yourself relative to the modifying scene in the next 3 to 5 years?
    I'm actually a car enthusiast, and not a Honda-only person.. I love all kinds of cars and bikes ! Ranging from AWD, to FWD and RWD, and motorbikes ! There's nothing I don't like ! I'd most likely be in a Mitsubishi EVO8MR or 9 in the next 3-5years, with a Honda Ruckus/Zoomer scooter by the time they get complied, and probably a Honda Euro/Jazz as a daily !

Zico, on behalf of myself and the rest of Ozhonda, I'd like to thank you for taking your time to be part of this feature and share your thoughts and experiences with the rest of us!

Check out more of Zico's photos on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zicotran/show

Interested in doing a feature (or know of someone who would make a good subject)? PM me
    Last edited by wynode; 27-09-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typos
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Great read!

Thanks for taking the time to write it all up Wyn and thanks to Zico for taking part!
    Last edited by tiksie; 27-09-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    wow you read quick!

Flickr URL error was a typo on my part.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    All good mate.

JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

nice mr zcoooo !

Member Array
    Car:
    Isabel
    Awesome interview!

Was good to see some thoughts of a longtime ozhonda member
    Samm928: I must say your the biggest noob kid ever.
    that is all.

WTFPWNED
    Secretly trying to make my daily into a warrior without my missus knowing...

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Niiiiiieeecee!
    Deano.

Zco is a very gay and jovial guy.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    lol thanks for the kind words guys, the pictures above are not by me either. i haven't had time to photoshoot anything lately, but this is my 5th EK.

Just aiming for a comfortable daily, with nice quality parts. New wheels and suspension on the way
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

its not called stance if you're on spacers..

Awesome Zico is awesome.
    Car is sooooooo clean and cute!
    あなたは小さい陰茎を持っている?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Great interview wynode - really well done

And fantastic work on the car zco - awesome photo collection by the way too
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Member Array
    Car:
    M3
    Clean car, worthy and honest recipient for a feature. Nice one.