Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ls/vtec info.

Ls/vtec info.

Hi,

I tried a search but didnt come up with anything. not sure if i typed the right thing in so if anyone else can help out thats cool. Anyway i'll ask my question.

im going to put a vtec in my classic mini. I was thinking a B16 of some sort. I was also told to have a look at the Ls/vtec. Ive searched abit on the net about them and from what ive been reading they arent reliable is this correct? Is doing the ls/vtec a waste of money? am i better off doing just the B16? Also from what ive been reading its all been done with a B18b block and B18c Head, can you do it with a B16 Block and head?

Sorry if this has been covered before but like i said i couldnt find anything.

Thanks Blake

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    You can use any VTEC B-series head.

Not very reliable I hear. Need new studs etc to handle the rev's and new GBox as b18b one sucks.

B16A in a mini would be lethal mate. An LS/VTEC would probably just spin everywhere...

Mmmm so maybe not worth it? What kinda price does a ls/vtec end up costing?

im aiming for between 170 - 200 hp and i reckon both these engines would give me that it just depends on which one works out the best. It also does depend on costs a little bit. B16 would be good because its cheaper that the 1.8 variety but if the ls/vtec works out the same as the b16 then that may be the way to go. but yeh reliablity is an issue for me.

Member Array
    Car:
    95 civic
    unless ur planning to turbo the b16 ur gna have to spare a sh*t load to get it pumping out 200hp..

mmm well yeh i cant go over 1.3turbo and 2ltr N/A so the B16 would stay N/a

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Doughie,

You bash LS/B20vtecs every chance you get, can you clarify why?

I think a LS/B20vtec in the mini would be mental and also be reliable

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    Doughie,

You bash LS/B20vtecs every chance you get, can you clarify why?

I think a LS/B20vtec in the mini would be mental and also be reliable

Hi Chris.

Don't think I've bashed the LS/VTEC previously, nor in this post.

I stated that they are "Not very reliable I hear" which is exactly that - something that I have heard/read previously. I guess it comes down to the usual "Depends on who built it" line.
    I assume it can be reliable since it's something that has been done time and time again so maybe this just depends on the builder's experience and abilities, however like I said the general opinion is that it's not the most reliable option.

The comments I made about the OEM head studs and GBox stem from a previous thread I made where I asked for more information regarding a B16A head/B18B block setup. You can see the original thread HERE. As you can see the dominant opinions are that the OEM head studs from a non-VTEC B-series engine will not cope with the high rev's of VTEC in the long-term. As for the tranny the B18B GBox has long gears and a low FD, making it less than ideal for a VTEC engine as the revs will drop quite a lot between shifts.

Do you think a B16A in a mini isn't going to be entertaining enough?

@OP: If you decided to go with the 1.3L/turbo option you could consider a Toyota Starlet engine. They come already built for turbo setups and will cost you around $1500. My mate runs his in a Paseo with a WRX turbo/fabricated turbo setup - about 130kw ATW on around 13-14 PSI. There's your 150+ HP

I have heard alot of people say they aren't that reliable if they aren't built by someone that knows what they are doing. Maybe i just do the b16. Whats a B16 go for at the moment?

A Mate of mine has a mini with a turbo starlet motor making 230hp at the wheels which is an insane car and i have considered it but i like the all motor route and i like vtec.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Good for you mate. I like N/A too

B16A generally goes for $2,000-2,500. Some people here will tell you they're seen full B16A engine swaps getting sold for $1400 but I never have.

Alternatively you could consider a B18C2. About $2,500-3,000 but you get an extra 200cc displacement and another 7kw. Also this will keep you within your N/A displacement limitations

ok cool. A B16a for $1400 would be nice but yeh i may have to start looking around for one.

I have considered the B18. Are these much bigger in physical size?

I was considering last night of going all out and doing a K20 because it comes in at 1998cc which is about my absolute limit. But they are like $5000 just or the engine

Member Array
    Car:
    95 civic
    holy jizz. a k20 in a mini?? that would be hella crazy....... but expensive to... not only buying the engine, u would need the gearbox. intake, im guessing a customer exhaust ECU and all the other shit, would be pretty expensive.......

it would be a crazy car. But yeh i think im better off going with the B16 and if i feel like more power i'll just stroke it a little bit.