Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '09 VTR250

Question B18C built vs b20vtec built

Hi All,

I'm in a big of a situation where, i've got an EG5 with a B20vtec + ITBs.

The problem with this is....engineering. If you know what i'm talking about, it's a bit of stuffing around. But basically, i have to change the itb to stock intake to pass an engineering certificate. I also need a stock/aftermarket quiet exhaust to pass emissions. I also want to have aircon and cold start, but with ITB's it just that more painful.

So, i've decided i'll be going to a B18C (integra vti-r) bottom end build.

The original b18 that was in my EG is still with the engine builder, so at least i can build that up and it's still registered to my chassis. =) (massive bonus!)

I'll be removing my head from my b20vtec and putting that on the b18c block. I'll just be running OEM parts in the bottom end rebuild, as i don't have to cash to use forged/strengthened items. I'll also be getting rid of the ITB in exchange for an DC2R ported Intake Manifold with a 68mm throttle body and a CAI. If i can find a mugen intake for an EG with a B series, i'll be snapping that up too. =)

It's heartbreaking taking apart the b20vtec build, as it's just so satisfying to drive.

Just wanted to see what experiences everyone else has with a b18c/b16 build compared to a b20vtec.

It's my daily driver and with summer coming up...i'd really like aircon. Or....am i just being a wuss about the aircon?

Is it worth going BACK to a b18???

Thanks!

Chris
    '09 VTR250

Hey mate, I went from a b16a to a b18c and that was a decent difference, then it blew so i had it built, camms, forged pistons etc etc and it was awesome, massive improvement!! Then I went to a built b20vtec with ITB's like you and the difference was ridiculous!! the built b20 with itbs was such a massive improvement on midrange over the b18. If i had a choice i would go the b20 with itbs no doubt but sounds like you don't have much choice. The built b18 will no doubt be awesome, but prob won't match your current setup. mind you, in the end, it all comes down to who builds it and who tunes it.
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    u can always just at the moment slap on the head to your b18c block and get a stroker kit down the track.... but im not sure if that affects ur engineering etc.
    just food for thought.
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

why dont you, take off the itb's put on a intake manifold + stock exhaust to get it engineered then put everything back.. trust me its all worth it , you have a b20 with ITBS for sure craazy , wouldnt wanna waste it .. and your car use to be in my area was a machhhiinnneee

cheers

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM-EGG View Post
    why dont you, take off the itb's put on a intake manifold + stock exhaust to get it engineered then put everything back.. trust me its all worth it , you have a b20 with ITBS for sure craazy , wouldnt wanna waste it .. and your car use to be in my area was a machhhiinnneee

cheers

Agreed.

You have a tough motor, built well. Get an OEM exhaust and intake for like $100 total and just pay for it to be engineered. How much is engineering up in NSW?

Friggin' worth it

its all worth it , as u said ur willing to build a b18c ? when u can get ur b20 to get it up and registered for the money your spending on your b18 .

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    would you sell the b20 block?
    "Wheels are like bosoms to men, and cars have four of them"

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Why don't you put an airbox on the ITB's & have that fed from a Mugen Airbox?
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    '09 VTR250
    Quote Originally Posted by quangsuke View Post
    u can always just at the moment slap on the head to your b18c block and get a stroker kit down the track.... but im not sure if that affects ur engineering etc.
    just food for thought.
    This path actually works out as the most easiest way to avoid an engineering certificate. As long as the engine number is B18xxxx, then it's within the 15% maximum increase from the stock 1.6 litre capacity. But, having to stroke and sleeve a B18 is very expensive, compared to starting with a b20.
    '09 VTR250

Member Array
    Car:
    '09 VTR250
    Quote Originally Posted by eg5civic View Post
    would you sell the b20 block?
    No. The engine builder wants any part of my engine returned to him, instead of being sold. Perfectly understandable.
    '09 VTR250

Member Array
    Car:
    '09 VTR250
    Quote Originally Posted by TODA AU View Post
    Why don't you put an airbox on the ITB's & have that fed from a Mugen Airbox?
    Hi Adrian,

I've also looked down this path. Efihardware.com.au have air boxes that will accommodate my ITB's. But, I still won't have cold start, nor will I be able to have aircon.... =(
    '09 VTR250

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S15 View Post
    Hi Adrian,

I've also looked down this path. Efihardware.com.au have air boxes that will accommodate my ITB's. But, I still won't have cold start, nor will I be able to have aircon.... =(
    I don't understand what the problem with cold start & A/C is?
    What sort of quads are they & what ECU. These are problems that can generally be solved if your existing parts are actually any good.
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au