Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla AE92

Another wheel painting guide

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY and neither myself nor OzHonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someones else doing. You hereby acknowledge these risks by undertaking this guide and do so at your own judgement.

Aim: To change/renew the look of your wheels with fresh paint.

1. What I initially began with: IMPUL RS's. 14 x 6.5 +15 PCD100. As you can see the dish part of the wheel had water mark stained into the metal but overall they were in good condition with minimal gutter rash and no buckles.

2. I started sanding with 600 grade wet/dry paper. The whole wheel will get painted so the entire thing gets sanded. The purpose is to smooth out the wheel to make the primer adhere better.

3. Valve removal. Pretty self explanatory

4. Once complete with 600 grade, work on 800 grade next. You don't have to but I wanted a smoother finish.

5. Give the wheels a good wash, make sure you get into all the edges and corners.

6. Let the wheels air dry. You can see that the IMPUL RS decals have now been sanded away (that's ok, I'll get to that later ). Prep your area for painting, make sure it's somewhere free from wind and direct sun light.

7. The primer and paint cans I used. You can opt for a cheaper alternative really, but I wanted to test out how the 3M products would turn out. All up, the 3 cans set me back about $45, $15 a can. Add your sand paper and your looking at about $50.

8. Primering. I decided I wanted to paint the underside as well so if you intend on doing the same, do the underside first so you don't scratch the spoke side afterwards. I did 2 coats of primer before going on to painting.

9. After primering, get out your spray can and shake vigorously. The first coat should act as a "guide"/"base" coat, never over do it.

10. This is the subsequent second and last coat for the underside; I didn't need it done 100% as it's behind the spokes anyway.

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla AE92

11. Down to the business end. Start with primering the hard to get bits; the lug nut holes, the centre and the corner of the spokes. After that, primer the entire wheel and even it out where needed. The wheel in the background has primer coat no.1, the other is onto no.2

12. Both fully primered. Awaiting paint.

13. Coat no.1 of painting. It's quite thin and that's how you want it really, then again I'll leave that for you to judge.

14. To put into perspective after coat no.2. Really starting to take shape now!

15. Ok, so I got lazy to take any photos of the following coats but you get the idea. Even coats at your own pace until fully covered. Then let air dry in the sun

Close up of matte black finish.

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla AE92
    OPTIONAL PARTS

I decided from the get-go I would not run the centre caps as they were easily nicked and so the centre would look quite bare.

Out came the centre caps with the screw on cap. The bottom two were punched out and had the double sided tape cleaned up. The top two are as per arrival-from-Japan. Only that the top right still retains the C clip. What I did was, took them all out and cleaned up the tape and then used Mothers' Plastic Polish on them.

Got into contact with my custom vinyl cutter a few days before completion and placed an order for IMPUL RS's decals and some IMPUL RACING ones'. I didn't like the look of the IMPUL RACING on the dish so decided not to use them. Centre caps now buffed with plastic polish.

Had them wrapped in some semi slicks, doing some track work in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for looking and please take this as a guide only.
    Last edited by AE092; 15-10-2010 at 02:52 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    R34 GTT
    man they look brand new
    +1
    106.3 Kw Atw
    Boostech Performance

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Good work on the sanding..Many people rush this step, but it's the most important one.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    -
    I'm loving it. They look so new. Good guide.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    looks great man good write up!
    i know it's a bit early but how have you found the 3M paint so far?

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla AE92
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonek1 View Post
    looks great man good write up!
    i know it's a bit early but how have you found the 3M paint so far?
    Thanks guys,

Thinking about it now, I probably should have used an ETCH primer like I did previously on other wheels I painted but so far so good. I don't mind if they chip, they are my race wheels anyway. How they look on the car (no, I don't own a Honda lol)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    White '99 EM1
    thats nice man! gonna do it myself for my stock EM1 wheels
    BIZ| SELLING MY EM1!!! LINK BELOW!!!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    dc5r
    the wheels turned out alright at the end man .. good job
    im thinking of doing that for my wheels ..u've given me some ideas xD

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    prelude
    They look mint. I should probably try this on my blades.