Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    White '99 EM1

Respray Fibreglass

I just got a 99-00 OEM EM1 wing in silver and my car is white...
    so like i need to get it sprayed..

ive resprayed stuff before, but not fibreglass... just wondering if there are DOs and DONTs? and what the process would be?
    BIZ| SELLING MY EM1!!! LINK BELOW!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>DC2R+CL9
    i think i saw you in the city last saturday if that was you lol, but the thing is fiber glass is something that most people never want to touch its really hard to get the paint correct on it, you best bet is to have it professionally done if your not a spray painter, reason is like i said its really challenging alot of effort sanding priming goes into it if you want it to come out mint. i had a mate with a s15 fiber glass vertex rear bar, was a absolute night mare to paint....
    I guess you could always give it a go your self and if it doesnt work out get someone els to do it ( painter )
    Hope this helped

Alex
    JDM is Best

Member Array
    Car:
    Understand
    I'm assuming you bought it and it already has undercoat on it. So if it does just rub the undercoat down with some ultra fine scotch bight and then paint with colour Or if its not undercoated then i believe you have to rub it with very fine scotch bight and then spray primer on and then proceed as before.

~King Of Spam~

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    workin on it
    i dont mean 2 b rude but chauster dats the wrong process , respraying fiberglass isnt as hard if wat biz is saying its already silver he wants it white all u have 2 do is rub the wing with 800 wetand dry papper just get rid of the shine on it and then prep sole it and paint it white

Member Array
    Car:
    Understand
    OH LOL
    I thought he bought a new one. my bad! i didnt read =P

~King Of Spam~

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    workin on it
    lol nah, but for future reference even if it was a new fiberglass one u wouldn't scotch bight it, it will most likely have primer of sum sort on it , so id recommend 2 rub it with 240 dry and then high fill it then rub it with 400 wet and dry then a 800 wet and dry and paint away .

Member Array
    Car:
    prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by v-tec power View Post
    lol nah, but for future reference even if it was a new fiberglass one u wouldn't scotch bight it, it will most likely have primer of sum sort on it , so id recommend 2 rub it with 240 dry and then high fill it then rub it with 400 wet and dry then a 800 wet and dry and paint away .
    Best bet is to prime anyhow.

Give the wing a good rub down. Good soft block and work from 400 to 800 paper.
    Then prime, block that back again. And spray your color, block again with 800 and up to 2000 wet and dry.
    Before clear coat and buff.
    When words fail, Vtec speaks....!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    White '99 EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePacman View Post
    Best bet is to prime anyhow.

Give the wing a good rub down. Good soft block and work from 400 to 800 paper.
    Then prime, block that back again. And spray your color, block again with 800 and up to 2000 wet and dry.
    Before clear coat and buff.
    cheers mate!
    BIZ| SELLING MY EM1!!! LINK BELOW!!!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EM1
    and if you dont prep fiberglass right or have a good temperature while spraying your going to get bubbles..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    workin on it
    lol bubbles r solvent boil, solvent boil happens on anything . trust me fibreglass is easy iam a painter do it everyday

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by CVCEM1 View Post
    and if you dont prep fiberglass right or have a good temperature while spraying your going to get bubbles..
    Are you talking about fisheyes ? That applies to anything really, it's due to moisture in the air.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by v-tec power View Post
    lol bubbles r solvent boil, solvent boil happens on anything . trust me fibreglass is easy iam a painter do it everyday
    Not a panel beater spray painter....? LOL don't let a panel beater near fiberglass..... LOL

(kidding, they can paint it just fine. Just don't let them attempt to repair it....)

Painting is painting. It's all in the prep. And your just better off etching and primeing everything.

Then it's all in the finishing.... (after doing your final buff. Use a soft clean wool buff and sprinkle corn flower to buff for the best mirror finish you have ever seen...)
    When words fail, Vtec speaks....!