Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG

Turbo street build. LOTS of questions.

Before anyone tells me to search for threads n stuff ive read up heaps and ive read Luke's turbo build, B16TYM and FastFWD and im still pretty confused. Wanting to do a b16 turbo setup just for street and maybe the occasional track day/Willowbank. Going with the B16a in an eg4 and from what ive read from the above mentioned builds and questions posted by other members a T28 turbo seems to be the way to go. Apart from that i have next to no idea what else im going to need as im a turbo virgin. intercooler is obvious to me and some piping and the manifold and bigger injectors ive figured out but apart from that nfi lol.

So if anyone can sort of help me compile a parts list of stuff im gonna need/good places to get things from i would really really appreciate it. Build is starting in about 6-8 weeks so i figured better get cracking on research. Any information would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys!
    SunCoast Hondas

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo 85 Civic
    Here's a list with some ideas with where to get some parts, there's probably some more bits you'll need. I've only turbo'd a d-series so not sure if you'll need any special parts for them but it's mostly fairly universal.

Manifold
    Turbo
    Dump Pipe and Exhaust (Custom)
    New Gaskets
    Intercooler
    Intercooler pipes
    Pod Filter
    Bov (Not a necessity)
    Injectors
    Oil lines (Braided line)
    Sump Mods for Oil Return (Weld in a AN fitting)
    Oil Catch Tank (Moroso Dry sump breather tank 85473) I got mine from Rocket Ind. but with the dollar the way it is you could probably get it from Summit or some where similar.
    Water lines (Earls Superstock or similar) E bay or Horsepowerinabox
    Boost Gauge
    Boost Control (Turbosmart Boost Tee or E-boost street)
    Computer (Hondata)
    MAP Sensor (3 Bar Sensor) Not a necessity I don't think depending on the level of boost you run.

That's all I can think of atm. A few things you will most likely want afterwards are a LSD, and an oil cooler if your planning on tracking it.

Luke

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo 85 Civic
    Have a read through this site too. There's lots of good information there. The more you know about turbo's the easier it will be to do it.
    The only bit to ignore would be the bit on the AFC Hack and such, always go for a standalone computer like hondata.

http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    damn that helps heaps already cheers guys! a mate of mine has a vf30 turbo lying around off his old wrx, I wouldn't be able to use that would i? there's a member on here selling a turbo kit for b16 eg I was looking into buying that and then just chopping n changing a few things
    SunCoast Hondas

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo 85 Civic
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=turbo

This one? It looks pretty good quality to me and would be alot cheaper and easier than piecing it all together your self. Look like it has pretty much everything you need as well.

EDIT: Im pretty sure that intercooler is exactly the same as mine too.

Luke
    Last edited by fat_85_civic; 25-10-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Yeah thats the one if its still for sale then thats what im keen on getting. I just dont know that much about AVO turbos i was gonna invest in a garrett or something i know is good. Its all too much haha sooo much stuff i gotta learn cheers so much for all the help guys!
    SunCoast Hondas

Banned Array
    Car:
    EKB20 > EGB18C
    if you buy that turbo kit or any kit.. try to get hamhorn manifold if you dont have ac

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo 85 Civic
    ramhorn?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Nah for the time being im just gonna stick with normal manifold (nfi what its called) till i start running a more serious setup then ill go with ramhorn
    SunCoast Hondas

Banned Array
    Car:
    EKB20 > EGB18C
    oh rof hamhorn HAHAHAH yes i meant ramhorn

should do it all first go im running stock b16a with afi turbo kit gt35r love it on stock motor too get atleast a gt3040 mate has one in his it hammers

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Lol you have a turbo b16? Since when?! You should take me for a drive when i come pick the motor up :P
    SunCoast Hondas