Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz

Hanny's performance service

Hi guys,

Just got my 10,000KM service done at Hanny's Performance in Smithfield on my 2010 VTi-s Jazz.

Just like to share my experience..

Cost wise, Honda Parramatta quoted me $190. NRMA Motoserve quoted $180. Hanny's quoted me $130. In the end, I got charged $77, since I supplied my own Castrol Edge 5w-30 oil.

Hanny's also stamped the logbook. Time wise, it took them a whole 35mins on a busy Saturday morning. Very impressive.

Workshop wise, my only gripe is that the dirty mechanics sat in my car, without placing any plastic or sheet over the drivers seat. Not a biggie though. One other thing I noticed is that they suck the dirty oil up through the dipstick. I'm unsure how this method compares to the traditional drain.

The receptionist is also a very nice lady. Friendly and easy to deal with. I'm not affiliated with the company, but here are there details: Suite 3, 28 Victoria St, Smithfield, NSW, 2164 (02) 9725 5115

I think I might use them for the minor services and see Honda for the Major's. Since I can then get Honda to fix some minor interior issues under warranty.

Cheers, Mark.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    mate, this is old school man...

Most old school enthusiact go to him and he doesnt even advertise anymore..

Robert is the owner and Hanny's he's wife. haahha

But on a serious note... If its not Robert or maybe Peter (if he is still there) working on your car, the rest of the guys aint that great at all
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

mmm only 35mins to change the oil....is too quick in my opinion
    dont get me wrong, yes most of used oil is out, but u'd want to let it drip for at least another 30mins to ensure all the 10% of bad oil left in there is out. secrets of the trade, if u had all the time in the world and u lived in a perfect world, ive been told an overnight drip is the ultimate. having said that, ive only ever done that twice.

first ive heard of removing oil from the dipstick area...one would think it would be more effort to defy gravity and drain oil upwards than to drain oil with help of gravity. they prolli did that cuz they were low on garage space, and did not want to work under the car with a jack. $77 is cheap...but $77 on an empty or not so busy day would be better.

didnt change the oil filter? seeing honda only recommends 20,000kms oil filter changes (which i find just plain wrong)

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    Sucking oil out of dipstick doesnt sound like its gonna get everything out of the sump.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
    mmm only 35mins to change the oil....is too quick in my opinion
    dont get me wrong, yes most of used oil is out, but u'd want to let it drip for at least another 30mins to ensure all the 10% of bad oil left in there is out. secrets of the trade, if u had all the time in the world and u lived in a perfect world, ive been told an overnight drip is the ultimate. having said that, ive only ever done that twice.

first ive heard of removing oil from the dipstick area...one would think it would be more effort to defy gravity and drain oil upwards than to drain oil with help of gravity. they prolli did that cuz they were low on garage space, and did not want to work under the car with a jack. $77 is cheap...but $77 on an empty or not so busy day would be better.

didnt change the oil filter? seeing honda only recommends 20,000kms oil filter changes (which i find just plain wrong)

I disagree totally here. I've been doing my own servicing/oil changes for over 20 years now, and most oil changes take less than 30 minutes. When engine oil is warm, 99.9% of the stuff is going to drain within a few minutes. You can sit around and watch the trickle turn into a drip every second or so, but you're wasting your time if you let this slow drip ( and I'm talking one drip every few seconds ) persist for much longer than 10 minutes. There is no need to be so anal about a little bit of old engine oil remain in the block, percentage wise, it doesn't even bare mentioning. You are aware that the Jazz, as in other cars, only has an oil filter replacement scheduled for every second oil change ? That's a few hundered ml's of old oil still in the engine mixing with the new oil, no probems. Good enough for Honda ( and other manufacturers ), good enough for me and you.

And remember this, the best oil change your car will ever get, is the one YOU do YOURSELF at home. ( Apprentices aren't all that fussy )
    Last edited by fundies; 07-11-2010 at 06:29 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by fundies View Post
    I disagree totally here. I've been doing my own servicing/oil changes for over 20 years now, and most oil changes take less than 30 minutes. When engine oil is warm, 99.9% of the stuff is going to drain within a few minutes. You can sit around and watch the trickle turn into a drip every second or so, but you're wasting your time if you let this slow drip ( and I'm talking one drip every few seconds ) persist for much longer than 10 minutes. There is no need to be so anal about a little bit of old engine oil remain in the block, percentage wise, it doesn't even bare mentioning. You are aware that the Jazz, as in other cars, only has an oil filter replacement scheduled for every second oil change ? That's a few hundered ml's of old oil still in the engine mixing with the new oil, no probems. Good enough for Honda ( and other manufacturers ), good enough for me and you.

And remember this, the best oil change your car will ever get, is the one YOU do YOURSELF at home. ( Apprentices aren't all that fussy )
    I agree here, itsup to you if you want to do a good job, doing it yourself foryour own satisfaction, everybody has different perspectives!

For $77 I am guessing it wasn't a proper interval service? Just a simple change the oil, check the coolant, check the gear oil and send you on your way?
    1997 Prelude VTi-R

I disagree to your first point, because notice how i said - "in the perfect world"? hence, doing a drip longer than 2hours (at that point, it would be 1 drip per 3mins thereabouts) would not be the norm. in the perfect world, anything and everything is perfect, so being anal about slow drips is the norm. I personally dont drip it overnight, but its good to mention how long a perfect drip would be.

I agree with the 2nd point, yes, the best service is from you, because u know what's going into your car. you may have done your own services for 20 odd years, congrats to you, thats not the point. the point here is, own services are best. however, how someone does their own services is up to them, and im just sharing my own opinion of when i have time to do my perfect service on my car, i let it drip for longer than 35mins. i might be wasting me time, but ive heard a whole lot different from others who have their own specific business for showcar industries, and have been in the trade for more then 20 years. so is it a matter of personal opinion...yes and no. to some who have been in the trade >20years, i'll let them answer that for themselves.

Then u have those who are in it for more than 20years and think, 20,000km oil change instead of the usual 10,000km = not good. Yes I'm aware that Jazz recommends every 20,000kms, but i personally think thats wrong. it may be good enough for me and you, but no, its not good enough for me to change it at 20,000kms. i prefer 10,000kms - because i think its wrong (either for the wrong or stupid/anal reasons, or for the right reasons)
    Last edited by Wilco; 10-11-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: cant spell

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    I disagree to your first point, because notice how i said - "in the perfect world"? hence, doing a drip longer than 2hours (at that point, it would be 1 drip per 3mins thereabouts) would not be the norm. in the perfect world, anything and everything is perfect, so being anal about slow drips is the norm. I personally dont drip it overnight, but its good to mention how long a perfect drip would be.

Then u have those who are in it for more than 20years and think, 20,000km oil change instead of the usual 10,000km = not good. Yes I'm aware that Jazz recommends every 20,000kms, but i personally think thats wrong. it may be good enough for me and you, but no, its not good enough for me to change it at 20,000kms. i prefer 10,000kms - because i think its wrong (either for the wrong or stupid/anal reasons, or for the right reasons)

Wilco, you're beginning to sound like a drip

Who said anything about 20 K km oil changes ? I think you mean Oil filter. Get the facts correct, and people may take your comments seriously. Honda know what they are talking about, and so do I.

I agree with the 2nd point, yes, the best service is from you, because u know what's going into your car. you may have done your own services for 20 odd years, congrats to you, thats not the point. the point here is, own services are best. however, how someone does their own services is up to them, and im just sharing my own opinion of when i have time to do my perfect service on my car, i let it drip for longer than 35mins. i might be wasting me time, but ive heard a whole lot different from others who have their own specific business for showcar industries, and have been in the trade for more then 20 years. so is it a matter of personal opinion...yes and no. to some who have been in the trade >20years, i'll let them answer that for themselves.

Do you understand the lubrication characteristics of modern oils though? Oils have progressed such a long way in the last 20 years with all the additives they are using to prolong the event of the oil 'breaking down'. It has actually been proven that most engine oils become more effective with age (to a point of course), it is only the point where the molecules begin to break down within the oil that it becomes less effective as this is when it starts to become what is refered to as 'sludge'.

The only other factor is that a used oil will become 'dirty'. Obviously it goes without saying that there are differences in the quality of modern engines by comparison to an engine designed/built 20+ years ago. This all contributes to the engines ability to operate cleaner and therefore the oil will take a lot longer to become 'dirty'
    1997 Prelude VTi-R

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    Honestly Hannys is great value for money and everything but I find rob is so busy nowadays that he doesn't really care for customers much anymore. He's also rushing you and wants to send you on your way. He will try n tell you to ignore little problems because they're obviously not worth his time. To do an hr job, it took me a week and several times popping in before he finally agreed to do the job that I had booked. A few other little incidents which I won't go into here.

They're not very meticulous either, seem to kinda half ass their jobs nowadays. I understand they're really busy but you gotta have some level of customer care. I still would go to them for my services and some other things since they are so affordable but am hoping they raise the bar on these issues..
    Last edited by p33r; 11-11-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Wilco, you're beginning to sound like a drip

Who said anything about 20 K km oil changes ? I think you mean Oil filter.
    hahaha yea i meant oil filter change, i didnt type out the word "filter". if u c my prior post, i mentioned 20k oil filter, not 20k oil change. this is why i cbf having serious discussions on forums, because when u miss type something, 4get to mention something, everyone then thinks wtf ?!?! hence 8700s14's post about me thinking that 20k oil doesnt work - which i believe does...so...soory to have wasted 8700s14 time in posting what he/she said

buttom line is, i believe oil change at whatever recommended manufacturer intervals, but i dont believe in 20k (or every 2nd service interval) oil filter change for japanese cars. Yes all german counterparts have 6mth-12mth 15k -25k oil and oil filter changes, but thats their design. most, if not all jap cars have every 6mth 7.5k-15k oil changes, and if you only change the oil and give your filter a miss for that interval...it just increases the chances of "dirty" oil as per what 8700s14 mentioned. hope that clears the air re my opinion lol.

anyway on a more lighter and back to the topic note,
    who does oil changes via dipstick as their conventional oil change method? thats an interesting point