Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux

offset when buying rims online

hey guys

just wondering about offset when buying rims online. i'm in queensland and want rims from sydney.
    Can the offset of your chosen rims be changed when you get them or are they stuck at the set offset you chose when you buy them?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Cheers
    Mods: Pioneer Double DIN GPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Buddyclub N+ Spec, Topspeed Headers, Skunk2 Catback Exhaust

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux
    They stay once you get them, offset cannot be changed most of the times unless your rims are able to be reverse mounted.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda
    another noob question but what are the offsets on stock accord euros wheels? As i plan on getting a euro soon. thanks

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    RD1, Euro CU2
    +55 for the CU2 Euro
    I once heard a wheel seller saying that some manufacturers can machine grind (factory) wheels into higher offset, ie from +42 to a +45, but has to be 'factory' done. But i do think its much safer to buy the right offset in the first place.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux
    okay so a +30 offset wouldn't hit brakes would it? or depends on kinda rim?
    Mods: Pioneer Double DIN GPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Buddyclub N+ Spec, Topspeed Headers, Skunk2 Catback Exhaust

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    you can use this tool to determine what different offsets will do.

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

obviously you need to know what your stock wheel size is but this is usually stamped onto the wheel somewhere

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux
    yeah thanks and could you buy rims online without getting the offset and balancing done? as in get it done when you get them locally?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    if you're only getting the wheels (with no tyre) they won't be balanced because there is no point if they don't have tyres on. and as mentioned above offset CANNOT be changed. so no, you can't get "rims online without getting the offset done"

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux
    ok thanks so if i were to buy the rims by themselves the offset would already be set to the one it has or i choose right?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_k View Post
    the offset would already be set to the one it has or i choose right?
    depending on the wheel type they usually come in a few different offsets, but no, you don't get to choose specifically

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    RD1, Euro CU2
    unless you are buying those >$1000 Italian rims, then you get to choose whatever off set you like, custom made.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    just expanding on markismaximus's comments.. no way to truely change a wheels offset while remaining reliable as original form

it's probably rarely done(unsafe is one of the main reasons I'm guessing) but as mentioned by Lemonhead you can machine the wheels to have a higher offset I.e. from +42 to +45 as per Lemonhead's example
    then there's adding spacers to decrease offset I.e. +52 to +37 in my case on my own car

problem is with modifying, you add extra points of failure
    with machining the wheel you weaken then mounting surface by making it thinner
    with adding a spacer, depending on what it is and how you go about it, you'd adding extra studs and of course a lump of metal between the wheel and the hub itself