Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]

[CL9] Some recommendations on entry level headers

Well my Euro's now 7 yrs old, so I've decided to spice it up a bit, since the stock header is looking... roughed up..
    so far I've decided O'll be removing the intake resonator this weekend and I'll add a CT icebox later.

I'm looking for something entry-level, and nothing noisy or fancy like the Toda's or Weapon R... can't stand the noise.

It's going onto the stock cat as well, I'm really looking for low and mid range gains, high end gain is nice but not that important. so so far I've looked into:

Xforce: approx $400 + interstate shipping to Queensland.
    DC Sports: approx $600 shipped from US (via HeelToe) +$150 for flex pipe which tend to crap itself.
    Japspeed: approx $300 shipped from US (via ebay) +$150 for flex pipe... which looks like it'll crap itself.
    OBX: Approx $300 shipped form US (via ebay)
    CT Engineering: Approx $750-800 shipped from US (via Heeltoe) +$50 for a metal holder to get rid of that stupid vibration issue

any recommendations?

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro, Evo 8
    If you're going to change the headers you might as well get a high flow cat at the same time to maximize the gains. Toda, J's Racing and Maximworks are best but they are expensive and you will also need to cut the middle exhaust hanger for it to fit the K24a block. It's not as common but this can also cause the headers to break at some point, esp around the flexpipes. I know some people who have experienced this issue.

Of the ones selected, I would go for the Comptech one (CT Engineering). They are a pretty reputable company and many TSX/Euro owners have this installed without issues.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by sodaz View Post
    If you're going to change the headers you might as well get a high flow cat at the same time to maximize the gains. Toda, J's Racing and Maximworks are best but they are expensive and you will also need to cut the middle exhaust hanger for it to fit the K24a block. It's not as common but this can also cause the headers to break at some point, esp around the flexpipes. I know some people who have experienced this issue.

Of the ones selected, I would go for the Comptech one (CT Engineering). They are a pretty reputable company and many TSX/Euro owners have this installed without issues.
    Highflow Cat = noise ain't it?

I have a feeling I'll have to skip CT engineering. budget constraints. and the fact it vibrates on automatic accords... no thanks.
    Looks like I'm gonna go with Japspeed, the TSX forum seems to be sayin a lot of good things about, it looks like it's a DC header at a large discount and lasts longer... good enough for me lol...
    I'm gonna have to look into a mod list for the car.

PS: Heat Wrap for the exhaust... is it needed?

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro, Evo 8
    With headers only the increase in noise is minimal, even with a high flow cat.

I don't have experience with Japspeed headers. DC headers only give a very marginal improvement in performance from what I've seen and they are quite flimsy.

Don't heat wrap the pipes, it can trap moisture and cause more problems down the track.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R
    weapon r is another one to add to your list.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by sodaz View Post
    With headers only the increase in noise is minimal, even with a high flow cat.
    I don't have experience with Japspeed headers. DC headers only give a very marginal improvement in performance from what I've seen and they are quite flimsy.
    Don't heat wrap the pipes, it can trap moisture and cause more problems down the track.
    DC is flimsy because of the ceramic/steel construction and that crappy flex pipe, Topspeed/Japspeed is basically a DC header that's made with Stainless steel.... at 1/2 the price as far as I know
    - Just did more research on the CT-Engineering Header, it's not looking good for Euro's with automatic transmission... Got people on the TSX forums who actually swapped out the CT-E header out for a Topspeed/Japspeed one cause the vibration/rattle was soo bad.

Quote Originally Posted by wuism View Post
    weapon r is another one to add to your list.
    That's a racing header as far as I know with a straight thru pipe, good price but it'll be all hell to try and fit one to an oem cat (or any cat for that matter)

I'm trying to keep all those changes as discrete as possible, hence the OEM cat/muffler, I live near Sunnybank Brisbane. Police is already far up our backside... Imagine a Weapons R header with straight thru pipe... someone call the ambulance lol....

Just FYI, looks like HeelToe is doing a Header shootout, it''ll be interesting to see what happens
    http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/heelto...tml#post718354
    Last edited by Fredoops; 28-12-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2004 Acura TSX
    We have not been able to confirm or verify the rattling with the CT header. We have installed one on a 5AT TSX customer car and they have had it on for 4-5 months now and we catch up with them from time to time for feedback. They don't have any odd noise or issues.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord CL9
    i used the X-force high flow cat before for about a year. no problem with it.
    Accord Basic

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    the06EURO
    OH ~ so CT headers do make vibration ^@%#*$#

i got injen intakes and CT headers, straight after CT headers installed vibration was crazy when in gear with air-con on and when HID is on makes vibration as well (minimal).
    BUT it makes no vibration when in gears with no air-con on(5AT)

got it checked by T1, 2 problems either engine mount problem or air-con compressor problem.
    The thing i really don't get is, if the CT header do make vibration why not make vibration when im in gear with no air-con on but only makes vibration when air-con is on
    and why didn't this occur with air-con on but ONLY after CT headers is installed?!?!?!

so now i changed the back engine mount, vibration went away a little bit, going to change front one soon and fingers crossed this vibration will go away and hope its not the air-con compressor problem or else have to put the fujitsubo legalis R CAT on hold.............................................. ................

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by superkk View Post
    OH ~ so CT headers do make vibration ^@%#*$#

i got injen intakes and CT headers, straight after CT headers installed vibration was crazy when in gear with air-con on and when HID is on makes vibration as well (minimal).
    BUT it makes no vibration when in gears with no air-con on(5AT)

got it checked by T1, 2 problems either engine mount problem or air-con compressor problem.
    The thing i really don't get is, if the CT header do make vibration why not make vibration when im in gear with no air-con on but only makes vibration when air-con is on
    and why didn't this occur with air-con on but ONLY after CT headers is installed?!?!?!

so now i changed the back engine mount, vibration went away a little bit, going to change front one soon and fingers crossed this vibration will go away and hope its not the air-con compressor problem or else have to put the fujitsubo legalis R CAT on hold.............................................. ................
    Add an extra bracket or 2 to hold that header in place, i heard it's a common problem with CT headers and automatic trannys
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    the06EURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    Add an extra bracket or 2 to hold that header in place, i heard it's a common problem with CT headers and automatic trannys
    if this bracket will fix the problem instead of me paying $400 bux for a mount, i will give it a try

thx !!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    accord euro LUX
    had a look at this a few days ago, the link will help a lot for those who are trying to fit the bracket in.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...r-support.html