Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser

Distributor No spark ? Troubleshooting - OBD1 / OBD2

Hey guys,

Basically as topic asks. No spark from plugs when i crank my engine. I believe its a obd2 dizzy and i have matched it to the obd1 loomb. ie I cut the obd1 plug off the old dizzy and soldered it to the new dizzy. However i im having trouble determineing weather the problem is due to a incorrect wiring polarity or some sort of failure with the ignition coil / ignitor.

Would like some advice on trouble shooting as why i have no spark and how i can sort this out through some method of elimination? I have narrowed it down to three circuits (stated below) that are wired into the Distributor. Are these circuits / sensors polarity conscious ? eg if i have the correct circuits wired up to the correct pin on the plug... but one might be reverse polarity? will this be a problem etc

Crank Position Output
    TDC Output
    CYP Output

Which of these circuits wire to the ignitor?

For reference for others in the future here is some info i have compiled

Last edited by Sexc86; 03-01-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    ARE YOU FOR REAL ?! No love!?

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Hi

the above doc look right but if you dont know what angle yoru looking at the connector from you can really get it worng. The above docs dont say

go by this below info to wire up your dizzy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OBD1-Dizzy..JPG 
Views:	4499 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	17415

you can cross refference the location of the wire on the connector right back to the ECU ( recomended )

- if you get the polarity wrong of the sensor you will affect the rising or falling edge of the signal and the ECU wont like it.

- if you get the sensors in the wrong spot, the engine will not start, however you should get spark.

- if you have wired the ICM wrong then no signal will go to the ICM to trigger the coil. Endure A21 from the OBDI ECU goes to pin 7 of the Dizzy ( yel/grn )

OBDIIa is the same wiring however it just has the second connector moulded into the first

I always make connector changes one wire at a time to ensure I dont get lost in the process. When you have it wired correctly and still have no spark it is possible you have damaged the ICM or Coil.

good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Is there any electrical based testing to can do to narrow down where/what the fault it?

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    anyone got any bench tests that can be performed on a ICM to determine if it is ****ed or not?

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Last edited by Sexc86; 30-04-2011 at 10:12 PM.