Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to find out info about this car

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get back into a honda, and im not having much luck finding one locally, but found this on carsales:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...eot=1&__N=1216

Just wondering if any one knows any thing about it? he says its a 1.8l D series? with vtec and turbo? and has an S2K cluster? he says it has won a few comps n stuff, but cant find any info there either.. any help would be great

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTIR
    First of all I don't see and S2K cluster in the pics unless its put in recently. The thing about buying cars like these is that people would recognise you straight away. I don't personally like this. May be different for different people. There's no mention about what suspension he's using. Coilovers or chopped springs. From personal experience, a lowered car after driving on road for a while, will accumulate lots of rattlles and weird noises. Finally, if I was driving a car like that around, I would be worry where I park. The car may end up getting keyed by jealous individuals or people who are just plain stupid and have no respect for others Just my 2c.

well, i went and had a look at this in person, it is actually a D series, it is turbo, but he says its got forged internals and been stroked out, which i can only check if i pull apart the engine, not some thing i can do while only looking over the car. Things i can say are, its actually a S2K dash, not cluster, S2K seats, which are comfortable. the paint has lots of stone chips etc over it, and the suspension is a customer air bags setup, but instead of airbags it has hydrolic rams in the shocks or some thing? :S overall, i think the cars in decent nick, but paint would need to be redone to get to comp level. and D Series with forged internals and turbo sounds all right. has a Greddy ECU or some sort, and big sound system, which i don't really care for.. but overall isnt bad. might negotiate with him a bit n see how low i can get him..

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    well first thing u should do is look at who did the work. receipts, documents etc to prove is been done properly.
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    cheap wheels and tyres, still has drum brakes, and almost no serious work on the engine other than a cheap turbo kit (which will probably destroy the engine soon) - the D16A8 is NOT vtec by the way - there was never a D series DOHC vtec engine made - only SOHC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine#D16A8

D16A8

* Found in:
    o 1988-1995 Civic/CRX/Concerto (UK/Europe/Australia)
    o 1992-1995 Rover 216/416 GTi(UK/Europe)
    o 1993-1997 Rover 216 SportCoupe (Europe)
    + Displacement : 1,590 cc (97 cu in)
    + Bore and Stroke : 75 × 90 mm (3.0 × 3.5 in)
    + Compression : 9.5:1
    + Power : 120 hp (90 kW, 127 ps) @ 6800 rpm
    + Torque : 108 ft·lbf (14.9 kg/m, 146 Nm) @ 5900 rpm
    + Valvetrain : DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
    + Fuel Control : OBD-0 MPFI
    + ECU Code : PP5
    + Gearbox : L3

looks like more hastle than its worth even for that price
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    what are you looking for in a car?

a daily, a track car, a show car?

as a daily I wouldn't buy the above, its not practical at all. you'll get stopped every 500m(gross exaggeration).

my personal opinion too but I don't like it. the labels for the suspension setup is masking tape with hand written directions...!?

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    Better off getting a nice clean honda and work from there. There are plenty of eg civics around, just not worked etc.

I'd take it that the seller doesnt know much about the car, cmon 1.8l d series vtec? Probably just threw money at the mechs "aye i want this turboed" etc etc but thats just my thoughts.

But yea, i'd only buy it if i personally knew the owner and the cars history. Other than that, dont buy it, never ending money pit.

Well, finding a clean EG civic up here is turning out to be near impossible the only ones i can find have been in smashes or are rusty n even more effort to get up to a decent level. I was thinking of getting this one, and another one thats basically a shell, and grabbing the interior, and a few other bits off the shell, to put onto the green one, to take it back to almost standard. then doing the usual upgrades, B series, DC2R brakes etc. really, the only thing I'm interested on that car is the shell lol

Eventually I'd completely change it. and in the mean time, I can part out the airbags, turbo setup, and probably some of the interior. reckon I'd almost make my money back if i negotiate hard enough with him, and can actually find a buyer for all the parts.. I know its going to be a lot of work, but i want to build some thing from the ground up, and make it completely mine, if you know what i mean..

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    starting from where someone left off will be a recipe for disaster.

the shell that you want from the above car could've been hacked to fit that massive body kit. body kit is also likely bonded to the car (so will be a bitch to take off). start with a decent base not someones sloppy 2nds

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    have u tried checking out auctions? u should be able to get a cheap one with a decent shell.
    OEM parts whore

The wide body was my main worry, but i honestly have been looking for a decent EG shell for a while now, and have been unable to find one locally might have to keep an eye out still

Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...rhome&__Nne=15

if u r not going to get yr car engineered imo this could be one of the best