Member Array
    Car:
    EK1

Noobs guide on how to replace a starter motor

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

My starter motor began acting up so it was time to replace it. I am fairly inexperienced, so I searched for a diy, but couldn't find one. Seems like the diy-ers already knew how to do it, so this is more a small basic guide for noobs like me. It actually was pretty easy and took me 1.5 hours including umming an arring.

Comments are welcome

Aim: To replace a starter motor (for b18c, but should be similar process for others).

Required: Socket wrench with 12mm and 14mm socket
    extension bar for socket wrench is very handy.

Steps:
    1. Disconnect battery terminal

2. Locate where the starter motor is. For the B18, it is located driver side, just below where the bottom radiator hose connects to the engine.

3. For me, I had to remove the intake arm to allow access for my hands to reach down to undo the bolts.

4. Once the intake arm is out, you should be able to clearly see the starter motor, which looks something like this.

On the outside, there are two electrical connections, one which you just pull off (A) and the other which is connected by a 12 mm nut (B). There is also a wire harness that clips onto the top bracket (C). Remove all these first.

5. Now the only thing that connects the starter motor to the engine is two 14mm bolts towards the back of the unit that are at opposite sides to each other (top and bottom). I found using the extension bar made the job much much easier as it placed the wrench handle into an area where I had more area to move, so I didnt have to undo the bolts tiny bits at a time. It may take some force, but as I've learned from OH, "Lefty loosey, Rightey tightey". Top bolt is shorter than the bottom one. Here is a pic of old and new one, and where the bolts slide into the holes.

6. Now just pull it out. If your short of space, try twisting and angling it around. the internal part is quite short.

7. Put replacement one in (got mine from a wreckers for $110), going in reverse (best to thread both bolts in first before fully tightening to aid locating). Easy as. Remember to put all connections back in and enjoy not worrying about whether your car will start when your an hour from home :P

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Great DIY mate!

No comments!?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Nice! Repped.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8