Newcomer Array

Talking Side mirror roadworthiness

Hey just wondering since my right side mirror- glass piece has been shattered is it still alright to drive or thats considered unroadworthy.

Since I dont have the time to be going wreckers and finding the glass piece, would it acceptable if I just chuck one of them big blindspot mirror over it.

If I cannot where would I find a wrecker that would sell it.

Cheers
    Last edited by thanhyo; 16-01-2011 at 04:08 PM.

itll be ok im pretty sure. when i had an 82 corolla ke70 my left passenger mirror was just dangling off the car cause it was snapped. had the car for a year like that. got pulled over by cops around 8 times and none of them cared. if ya chuck a blind spot mirror over it even better. If its only the mirror that needs replacing heres someone in melbourne wholl fix it. free online quote. link below

http://www.windscreens-melbourne.com...melbourne.html

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg5 si
    this might sound funny, but if you simply dont have enough time on your hands to go down to the wreckers

go do some latenight shopping at autobarn or one of those type places,

i cant remember what its called but my friend brought this plastic stuff that was shiney like a mirror,

you cut it out with scissors and glue it where the mirror used to be,

the police wouldnt even know anyway! and its better to have that then nothing at all,

and thats just a replacement untill you get the time to go down to the wreckers or something

hope that helps out pal!

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    It'll be tough finding a mirror from a wrecker for the aston :P

Can you sticky tape it together or something?

not roadworthy unfortunately.

regarding left mirrors: i'm certain that on many older cars (especially a ke70) it wouldn't matter as the left mirror was often just an option. if you look carefully you will see many early 80s cars without left mirrors on the budget spec or unoptioned models. not sure what the go is with left mirrors on newer cars.

you definitely need to have a right mirror that is not broken or modified. sticking on a blind spot mirror that covers part of your existing mirror is also not roadworthy. you can stick other mirrors beside the stock mirror though, and an example would be the extension mirrors for when you are towing caravans.

the likelihood of you getting caught is pretty low but yes a friend of mine did get caught after driving around with broken mirrors for many months.