Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]

[CL9]Power steering hose, genuine replacement vs aftermarket repair

Just would like to share something about the CL9 Power steering hose. Pretty sure this hasn't been discussed.

I recently had a power steering hose (Pressure Feed Hose to be exact) repaired on my Euro (as in rebuilt, with new hose but original fittings etc), since then at low speeds the steering shudders a bit and is a bit noisy.

Finally found out why (kudos to the guys at Honda Care):
    The hose that Enzed or Pirtek uses when you repair the power steering, although it's the same dimension of hose, it doesn't (and it cant fit) have the same pressure level and restrictor on the hose, therefore after a while you will start to get noise and slight shake from the PS pump due to different fluid pressure level.

A genuine Honda PS hose is like $400 bucks... The repair cost $190 odd, if you are lucky you might be able to eBay a hose from the USA for about the same price.

So in essence, if you do have a leak on the hose, try to source a Honda genuine replacement (even 2nd harnd) rather than repair (aka rebuild).
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    R32 Skyline
    I've found that if you use aftermarket products on the euro it either won't fit or it gives you problems later on. I bought a new water pump for mine and the holes didn't lone up. My mechanic ordered 2 other different brands and still didn't line up so I just went genuine.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by white_ep3_civic View Post
    I've found that if you use aftermarket products on the euro it either won't fit or it gives you problems later on. I bought a new water pump for mine and the holes didn't lone up. My mechanic ordered 2 other different brands and still didn't line up so I just went genuine.
    I think honda takes a standard part... the modify it slightly so you cant use the standard part..

Theres 1001 ways to modify the pressure of power steering, Honda just happen to put a unique restrictor on an easy to break part (steering hose) so you have to get genuine... In the word of Jim Richards: "what a pack of A**holes"

Just to **** with you....
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux
    Hi fella's, I have a 2005 euro and recently the power steering hose developed a leak. I priced a genuine hose at $455, but got one made up at a hydraulic shop for $120. When I fitted the hose I also topped up with non-genuine fluid, a whirring groaning noise was present when I tested the steering so I parked it up straight away (drove a maximum of 500m) I researched the noise on the net and the general consensus was to use genuine fluid, so I have drained, flushed and filled up with honda fluid but the noise is still there. I also read that the seal on the hose at the pump end can create this noise if not replaced, I will order one and try it next week.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    05 Euro Lux
    Yeah you're not the only one who had this issue. The smell of burning oil started and there would be an electronic sounding whine whenever I accelerated, much like the sound you get when you reverse at high speed. Just had to spread my cheeks and take it at the Honda dealership.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux
    Yep, it hurts doesn't it? I am not the type to get screwed by dealers unless necessary, gonna stick with the plan of replacing the seal at this stage.

Member Array
    Car:
    04 Euro Lux
    hey guys, don't meant to hijack the thread but i'm getting the whining noise too and pretty sure it's the power steering pump. i get whining, howling noises from 60km/hr+
    It started ever since i got the recall and had the hose replaced, drove the next couple of days and started noticing the noise then checked and saw the fluid was low so i think they just drained it and didn't top up so i have a damaged pump does that mean the only way of fixing this would be to get a new pump?
    Mods: Pioneer Double DIN GPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Buddyclub N+ Spec, Topspeed Headers, Skunk2 Catback Exhaust

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_k View Post
    hey guys, don't meant to hijack the thread but i'm getting the whining noise too and pretty sure it's the power steering pump. i get whining, howling noises from 60km/hr+
    It started ever since i got the recall and had the hose replaced, drove the next couple of days and started noticing the noise then checked and saw the fluid was low so i think they just drained it and didn't top up so i have a damaged pump does that mean the only way of fixing this would be to get a new pump?
    or rebuild...

Put in some lubeguard and see if it gets better.

Then get quote for rebuild and compare it with getting a new one from USA

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    Just on the topic of lubegard, has anyone used it and how safe and effective is it?