Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does petrol go off/bad when your car isn't used for a while?

Hey, so I saw on a television ad some product for making your cars petrol last longer when your car is left for long periods of time. According to the ad, your petrol go's off/bad after sitting for a month without being used...

I have never heard of this befor. Although the length of time quoted on the ad seems a bit soon, still got me thinking about my civic which might be lucky to be started like once in three months at times. So will petrol go off eventually if left for a while? How long untill i should think about draining the petrol then re-filling with fresh petrol?

My car hasn't moved for about three months right now and has half a tank. recommend draining it and re-filling or would filling with new balance out the old and new? I was planning on re-filling with new but if anyone knows any more info, that would be great
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

ofcourse it does.

According to Shell Australia’s Technical Advice Centre Manager, Warren Scott, you can generally store fuel in a sealed container for around six months before it starts to deteriorate. This assumes it’s kept relatively cool and away from direct sunlight.

“But if the container is not properly sealed or it’s repeatedly opened, [fuel] will start to evaporate and you lose some of the light components in the fuel,” Mr Warren says.

Those light components include highly important butane. As these components are lost, the fuel loses its volatility. Mr Warren says this makes the car difficult to start.

In warm conditions, fuel is especially prone to oxidisation which causes lacquer and gums to form. As a result, the fuel turns dark in colour, loses its clarity and smells like paint stripper.

Gary Whitfield, Senior Fuel Chemist at BP Australia, says that in the right conditions, fuel can last up to 12 months. But once the container is opened, the fuel will start to degrade.

“Once the seal is broken, a vapour space is formed in the container and the fuel will start to deteriorate more rapidly,” he says.

Okay, so what about fuel that’s left in your car’s tank for a long period of time?

Mr Whitfield claims fuel in a car’s tank can last for up to four weeks before it becomes considerably denser. When this happens, the engine is effectively over-fuelled (without any change in injector pulse-width) and there’s an increased chance of carbon deposition onto spark plugs and inside the combustion chamber. This can cause driveability problems such as stutters and misses.

“Regular unleaded fuel will lose a small amount of octane over time but in our low-sulphur and high detergent Ultimate fuel it might increase very slightly. It might increase 1 RON in four weeks – but it’s not something I’d bother chasing,” he says.

“Keep in mind that typical variation in BP Ultimate is 98 – 100 RON while normal unleaded ranges between 91 – 93 RON.”

Mr Warren says that in most cases, it’s only when fuel is left in the tank for several months there’s the risk of engine damage. This is much more likely to occur in cars running dual LPG/petrol systems.

“By this time the fuel will have gone dark and gummy and can clag the fuel pump, filter and injectors,” Mr Warren says. It can also leave a lacquer deposit on the inside of the fuel tank which is difficult to remove.

In addition, it’s important to be aware that fuel brews – specifically fuel volatility - varies on a month to month basis. Standards vary from state to state but, generally, volatility is reduced during summer months to reduce evaporative emissions. Mr Whitfield says this typically makes the engine slightly harder to start but there is no change in octane.

Lachlan Riddel, proprietor of Gold Coast based tuning company ChipTorque, frequently dyno tests cars which have not previously been driven for several weeks.

“On the fuel mix we have in Queensland, I think fuel in a car’s tank is starting to go off in around three weeks,” Mr Riddel says. “We can tune a car, put it away for three of four weeks, come back to it and it will be either closer to detonation or less likely to make the same power.

“I think local fuel is brewed to reduce evaporative emissions in warm weather and, maybe because of that, fuel really goes crappy in eight to ten weeks. By that stage, the fuel is extremely prone to detonation.”

Interestingly, Mr Riddel hasn’t noticed the engine becoming harder to start but the effect on octane is pronounced.

Similarly, the General Manager of Melbourne’s Advanced Vehicle Operations, Steve Coates, believes fuel tends to go off in a car’s fuel tank quite quickly once it’s a couple of weeks old.

“After a couple of weeks not driving a car, I find that it will be closer to detonation than it was at the time of tuning on the chassis dyno,” he says.

“And the brand of fuel seems to make a difference as well – I find that Mobil and BP products are probably the best after being stored but Shell Optimax is really good when it’s new."

Clearly, there are some important factors to keep in mind when storing fuel in a container for several months or when parking your car for a few weeks.

Our recommendation is not to run the engine at high load with fuel that’s been in the tank for any more than three of four weeks and it’s a good idea to add at least 25 percent fresh fuel to the tank every few weeks. This will help ensure there are no fuel-related driveability problems or detonation and will reduce the chance of lacquer building up inside the tank.
    quoted from http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/557467

oh dear, ok so looks like i'll be emptying my tank asap :/ Thanks for the info man.
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    That is a great post Ben.

Exactly the reason i only put half a tank in at a time (weekend car) and why I get fuel at the busiest station that I see.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Good idea is to run your car empty pretty much until the fuel light comes on, but the doesn't go stale too fast. The tank in somewhat pressurised but it can't hurt to run it out good.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Good idea is to run your car empty pretty much until the fuel light comes on, but the doesn't go stale too fast. The tank in somewhat pressurised but it can't hurt to run it out good.
    On old cars, when the tanks are run to empty, the crap at the bottom gets sucked up and blocks the fuel filter.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    On old cars, when the tanks are run to empty, the crap at the bottom gets sucked up and blocks the fuel filter.
    I don't think this is really that true, because the fuel is sucked up from the bottom of the tank anyway...

Ok so what is the best way to empty the tank of un-wanted fuel. Don't want to run it through my injectors etc. I haven't gotten under the car yet to suss it out. No time. But is there a drain plug of some sort, or would it be easier to just siphon the fuel out oldschool method?
    MSC Performance FTW

I personally wouldn't bother - just fill up with 98 and you will pull up the old stuffs RON rating alittle.
    The fuel filter is there to filter out any possible crap anyway....just replace the filter afterwards with a fresh item if paranoid

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Problem is when you have too much space above the fuel. I didnt read the huge article but it no doubt said that.
    So if you are leaving a car for a while, fill it up completely. That way the lighter components wont evaporate off.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Intresting thread, always wanted to know this.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    MK6 Golf GTI
    sorry for hijacking so pretty much if i leave my car for lets say 3 weeks and hasnt been fired up is ok?
    Welcome Abourd