Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi

Installing a Breather KIT onto a B20VTEC/LSVTEC

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To Install a Breather System onto your B20VTEC/LSVTEC block ( while it is in the car)
    Required:
    Socket Wrench, Tool set , Allen HEX Key, Phillips/Flathead screwdriver (depending on how you want to tighten the clamps) Jack stands, Jack, Shifter

2 X Honda Prelude Breather Bung : 11107-PK2-003 ($50 for both)
    2 X Honda Washers : 12207-634-300 (i reused my old ones)
    4 X Clamps 15mm ($4)
    2 X Pirtek Water/Oil Resistant Pipes 15mm ($12) ( or you can use any water/oil resistant pipe)
    and
    most importantly your
    Breather Can ( i bought mine from ebay $50)

Steps: Opening the bungs ( i didnt have the tools to remove the bung so i took it to GPC who did it in about 5 minutes)

1. Need to Jack the car up on Jackstands.

2. Get underneath the car Locate the Bungs and use allen HEX key with socket to undo (image borrowed)
    . It may be possible to do it above the car removing intake manifold but this was is easier

Now there is little room when the the oil filter and subframe is in the way so be prepared for a tight squeeze, when you crack open the plug is pretty simple after that.

Pics of Plugs removed

3. Fit the Breather Bung onto the hole, and tighten with a shifter

4. Fit Hose onto to Bung and feed clamp to end and tighten

I found that the rest can be done from above so i removed the battery and had lots of room to fit my hand thru for the rest of the procedure

5. Connect all pipes together with clamps, mount your catch can and your ready to go!

Other comments
    When building a hybrid to make things easier just remove plugs and fit the
    bungs before dropping them in, but if already dropped motor no need to fret its not that hard to do..
    Use at your own discretion venting with mini air filter exposed out is like a normal pod filter, you will get defected.

Last edited by GSi_PSi; 19-11-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    nice write up buddy. with the GE vtec conversion kit, are you still able to run a oil cooler off the oil sandwich plate? is there enough holes for it?
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    to my knowledge yes, people run an oil cooler before the ge vtec sandwich plate. or do you mean if they open up the dowels in the plate and run it off that ? (im not to sure would be awesome if you could )

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    so people run 2 sandwich plates? i just think thats not safe enough, they should have more holes in the GE plate. so your saying there are no spare holes for an oil cooler on the sandwich plate?
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Oh gawd and I thought installing one of these was hard.. Cool write-up! Will definitely refer to this if I still plan to go down the B20 road..

Oil return passages from head behind the plugs yer? Wondering if you getting oil blowing through and up into the pipes?
    Last edited by SPEEDCORE; 08-02-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    DLUG Racing

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    yeah already the pipes are getting darker, lucky they are see thru . The is running so much better now, doesnt feel like its choking now even after a long drive

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Nice write-up OP.

Can I ask, is this DIY necessary because the B16 and B18 have the OEM breather on the block, but the B20 has the OEM breather on the head?

Would you mind explaining what the breather does?

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    dun worry cuz

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    yes if you have a B20VTEC/LSVTEC as they dont have a PCV system (postive crankcase ventialtion)
    The breather alows the gases to be vented out into the atmosphere instead of staying inside the block.
    Reducing blowby and preventing leaking from gaskets and seals

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Ah,the b20 dosen't have a PCV system...why is that,cause it's not needed on the CRV's? (I think that's the only car they come from?)