Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    to maintain the life of the pint i personally use this routine,

wash evey week even if i dont drive it
    Wax once a month
    Polish every 3 months
    clay bar every year (some times twice)

Also every 3 months I detail the bay and with every wax job I full clean the inner guards, wheel wells, inside the doors/hood and boot and hit the seals with some protectant.

Clay bar and quality car care products are one of the best investmetns will make. also remember to use good cloths and wash them after every use. If u drop a sponge or cloth on the ground stop using it till its clean.

Wash the car from the top down always!!!!!!!!
    Import Performance and Styling
    -= Official distributors for Password JDM =-

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Dude u should claybar more than polish...

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK Si '98
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoon View Post
    to maintain the life of the pint i personally use this routine,

wash evey week even if i dont drive it
    Wax once a month
    Polish every 3 months
    clay bar every year (some times twice)

Also every 3 months I detail the bay and with every wax job I full clean the inner guards, wheel wells, inside the doors/hood and boot and hit the seals with some protectant.

Clay bar and quality car care products are one of the best investmetns will make. also remember to use good cloths and wash them after every use. If u drop a sponge or cloth on the ground stop using it till its clean.

Wash the car from the top down always!!!!!!!!
    Sounds like you really look after your pride and joy - good to hear

And good advice - can I ask what you use to detail the engine bay? Currently I really only use a brush for any loose debris, then get an old rag and polish towers, inside bonnet etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    Dude u should claybar more than polish...
    Bought Meguires claybar kit on the weekend ($35 from Supercheap) and works fantastic! My paint job is pretty good, but I'd never done it before so i still had some of those little 'rust' marks on the back bumper and some spots here and there, but claybar was awesome

The finish is superb, it's so smooth, no roughness and it really does feel like the car just came out of the paint shop. I washed the car twice (ie did each panel twice to make sure all clean), chamois in garage so panels don't get hot from sun and quickly went over it with a terry towel before clay bar. Gave it a hit of polish and wax after claybar to finish it off nice...

You get a 100gram block with the quick detailer spray in the kit. I just broke the clay in half (was a little worried I might drop it first time around) and worked fine, I found you can't spray 'too much' spray else it kinda just goes over the top and doesn't take the marks off, but you can't have too little spary else it catches on the paint, so just need to find the balance to how much spray you need.

But recommend claybar without a doubt
    HONDAOEMMUGEN

JDM/Mugen inspired EK sedan build thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ss-pics/page34

Alvis
    I degrease the bay then use quick detail with a soft cloth. if your fussy use an old tooth brush for the hard to get places. For all the black hoses and such get a good plastic/bumper cleaner or some people use tyre shine.

curtis,
    i dont drive it much so i dont clay bar thatr much.
    If you parked out side a lot and drive it often yes clay bar more often is good to remove crap that will stick and damage the paint.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Claybar is for cleaning the paint's contaminants without harming the clearcoat.. Polish removes a layer of clearcoat.. hence why i said what i said.

I've got a claybar but never had time to use it yet LOL. Oh well.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    ok here is some pro information - i have been detailing my cars properly for years now
    other ppls advice on here is pretty spot on - but there are some things u should know about claybars and brands

firs of all - claybars
    DONT buy a cheap one
    if it gets dirt or grit in it - throw it away straight away - treat it like somethign you would eat - like dont get it dirty lol
    u need a quality lubricant to use with the claybar - the Mothers Showtime so far has been the BEST lubricant i have found
    the Mothers Claybar has been the best i have used so far as well - Maguires is also good but i find that their products dont last as long for the same money
    treat the claybar like a fine grit bit of sandpaper on $100000 mahogany antique table - slide the bar with one hand and feel that the dirt is lifting with the other
    dont scrub or push hard

onto products and brands....
    DONT DONT DONT use Armorall - this stuff is the worse shit in the world - does more harm than good - wouldnt even clean my shoes with it
    the three main brands are (in order from good to best) Maguires, Mothers and Autoglym
    Autoglym being the ritz - the best of the best
    Mothers is my everyday product
    and maguires i use if i cant get the other 2 or i need something in mass quantity

DO ALL YOUR WASHING / CLEANING IN THE SHADE
    DONT LET ANYTHING DRY IN THE SUN
    to dry ur car either drive it around or shammy it

as for cleaning dirt/spots/blemish ---
    1. go buy Autoglym Pain Restoration
    2. use a small polishing pad and about 5c peice size dollop of above product and give it a soft polish
    (too hard will wreck the clearcoat - but softly applied this should lift the dirt)
    3. clear away any lifted dirt or residue with Mothers Showtime and a soft cloth
    4. wash effected area clear with clean water and pad/shammy clean
    ------------------------
    5. now use the claybar softly with Mothers Showtime as a lubricant
    (this should remove any remaning swirls, dirt, debris, tar, overspray, sap etc
    6. wash the car with a high grade car wash - or take it through a laser drive-through car wash to put a protective coat back on
    (i use Maguires Gold car wash with a small pour of Mothers Showtime in a bucket of hot water)

i have mentioned showtime a few times - its a really good allrounder product
    it serves as a lubricant for claybar - it clears away any polish etc left over from any step in a cleaning process
    and it has really good waterproofing qualities - its also good for photoshoots or car shows as it really brings ur paint up nice
    on its own it doesnt last very long tho

im not really into waxing very much - but the few times i have done it - i used a Mothers Claybar kit
    this kit comes with Mothers Claybar, Mothers Showtime and Mothers Canuba Wax
    i do it by hand and i use blue chucks cloths for waxxing
    avoid using machines - they are useless and leave swirls

another amazing product i have found over the years is Mothers Protectant
    most products for protecting ur dash are SHIT - especially Armorall and Polyglaze
    these leave a film on the dash, in ur vents and worst of all it gets up onto ur windscreen and windows
    Mothers Protectant doesnt do this and it really makes ur dash beam like it just came out of the showroom floor
    great stuff

hope this helps - let me know if u have any questions
    or need advice on any other types of detailing or valet
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

damn fine info my friend!!! lol, you right about armor all, its the worst!
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    terrible stuff - its un-australian to even sell it lol

if i can be honest - i still havnt found a desent window cleaner - iv tried everything =/

an honorable mention goes to these products
    - Mothers Showtime (quick detail for your paint)
    - Mothers Protectant (great stuff for your interior panels/dash)
    - Mothers Plastic Power (brings back faded headlights to crystal clear - not that its a major problem for most hondas)
    - Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl (for any rubber hoses or trim inside/outside/under the hood)
    - Autoglym Bumper Care (takes your faded black exterior trim back to black - and stays black)]
    - Maguires Gold Class car wash (great everyday car wash)
    Last edited by TheSaint; 21-02-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

^^^ lawl, i hear ya! my friend used armor all for his dash once, at first it makes it look nice and rejuvinated. Then after a while it made the dash even more dry then before and started to crack lol. super crap product!

Window cleaners suck! they never do anything for me. Although recently my bro got this foam stuff for car windows, he swears by it says its the best. i just cant remember the brand... damn
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    Claybar is for cleaning the paint's contaminants without harming the clearcoat.. Polish removes a layer of clearcoat.. hence why i said what i said.

I've got a claybar but never had time to use it yet LOL. Oh well.
    A good ploish made for clear coat wont remove it. I sware by autoglym stuff personally, do everything by hand and never ever use a carwash place.

^^^ true, car wash places suck big time! They do such a basic clean, no attention to detail
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    fuk carwashes.