Thread: Bearing problem

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S

Bearing problem

okay so recently ive started to notice a weird sound coming from the right side of the car. if i wind down the window, i can hear it go fffft fftt fttt. and as i speed the sound speeds an as i slow it slows too. the mech took a quick look and said it could be the wheel bearing.... and it could cost 300 to fix is that reasonable? and also as i turn right, the sound stops.. however turning left the sound is still there.

also, i noticed, when i shift from 3 to one, slowing down, i sound that sounds like a robot shutting down, what is the problem?
    thanks in advanced guys
    Last edited by derickk12; 22-02-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    sounds like a wheel bearing indeed.

just buy a replacement from CBC bearing for about $70, pull apart your suspension and take the knuckle to a mechanic to get the old bearing pressed out and the new one put back in ($20 max, possibly free). If you get a mechanic to do the whole lot then $200 to $250 would be about the go i reckon.

pretty easy to do yourself, there are a number of how to's on this site.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    before you do that, check the brakes on that side, take the pads out and see how low they are or if the piece of metal (designed to contact the disc and make that kind of noise when the pads are low) is sticking out to the same level as the pads contact surface. i've had this issue twice and both times it was one of these.

otherwise yeah what mooshie said would be next on my list.

good luck man!
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    yeah, good point. should have mentioned that...my right hand front caliper was sticking and making that noise then one day it got a lot worse and the wheel was wobbling, that was when the bearing went. At the time I thought it was only the bearing and changed that but fortunately I had got myself a 282mm brake setup as well. When I pulled the caliper off, the fluid inside was brown and streaked with grease/oil. It was probably this dodgy caliper that caused the bearing to go.

If you check your pads then bleed the brakes and while the car is up see if the wheel wobbles at all. hold it at 12 and 6 o'clock and then 3 and 9 asnd see if there is any movement, if there is then it is definitely a bearing although it will not necessarily move

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S
    even worse now guys. i took it to ultra tune. and they listened to the car. apparently the noise came from the left side this time. then the boss took a look and said it was actually the gear box. which could costs over 2k... got me worried. i went to mc driveshaft today toget it checked out. he took out the drive shaft and that sound was gone... i think. meaning it is not the gearbox.. thankfully. im not sure if his right though.. hopefully it is not. i dont want to replace the wheel bearing and see that it is still there == . thanks for the advice guys. i will go and find a wheel bearing now .

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S
    life is tough

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    what happened?

Number 1 mistake, taking your car to Ultra Tune! Those guys don't have a fkn clue i swear...

Member Array
    Car:
    88' ED6
    Quote Originally Posted by NightKids View Post
    Number 1 mistake, taking your car to Ultra Tune! Those guys don't have a fkn clue i swear...
    That and they'll often prey upon unsuspecting car owners! Take it to a reputable mechanic and have them look at it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    Lol ultra tune. Pay $100 for general check up for them to tell me my cv boots are torn. Little did they know they where actually changed the night before
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Ultra tune are just like anywhere, there is good ones and bad ones, they are franchised so the owner is in charge of how the shop runs and some of them can be really good. I get a few small things done at my local Ultra tune but take it to a workshop experienced with modified cars for more sophisticated stuff. You just gotta shop around and dont go back if the bullshit you.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S
    hoopefully spending the 100 bucks for the mechanic to check if it was the gearbox paid off. he took the drive shaft off and yes the noise was not there anymore when we ran the car. but im thankful its not the gearbox and just the wheel bearing. any diys on wheel bearings? how much should i be paying it is my front left wheel